Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Egg Gathering?

Options

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Place is roughly 40min from my house.  That's not bad.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I'm in. I live in the Charlotte area, so either east or west work for me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I would definitely try to come depending on schedule.

This is a good time to mention that a friend of mine (and fellow Egghead) just became a dealer in Mocksville. Mocksville is about 15 minutes west of Winston-Salem on I40. He has an absolutely perfect location for an Eggfest or gathering like we are discussing. I will try to put up some pics but it is a large, relatively level field adjacent to his parking lot and also has a covered picnic table area with 3 tables I think. I have been meaning to mention it as we could use another good dealer in the Triad area. 

He also sells Wicked Good charcoal for $20 for the big bag. I went over there and bought 10 bags a few weeks ago. 

He is not in the mountains but I'm sure he would love to host and is a pretty central location. If not, local Eggheads go by and check out his store. Stephen is the owner and he is a great guy. 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/results_details.php?id=3989&dist=65.7799693158887
    Mocksville/Davie County area is pretty nice.  Any lodging around?  I know there's a nice campground near.  
    There are some hotels within 20 minutes either direction. Stop by his shop and check it out when you can and let me know what you think. He also has a great selection of John Henry rubs which are my favorite by far. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I would definitely try to come depending on schedule.

This is a good time to mention that a friend of mine (and fellow Egghead) just became a dealer in Mocksville. Mocksville is about 15 minutes west of Winston-Salem on I40. He has an absolutely perfect location for an Eggfest or gathering like we are discussing. I will try to put up some pics but it is a large, relatively level field adjacent to his parking lot and also has a covered picnic table area with 3 tables I think. I have been meaning to mention it as we could use another good dealer in the Triad area. 

He also sells Wicked Good charcoal for $20 for the big bag. I went over there and bought 10 bags a few weeks ago. 

He is not in the mountains but I'm sure he would love to host and is a pretty central location. If not, local Eggheads go by and check out his store. Stephen is the owner and he is a great guy. 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/results_details.php?id=3989&dist=65.7799693158887
    Mocksville/Davie County area is pretty nice.  Any lodging around?  I know there's a nice campground near.  
    The Nature Coast Eggfest was at a Campground and that worked out very well the Campground also had cabins for the Eggers. We have an RV so that would be great for us.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I would be interested as well.... Live in Charlotte
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Asheville has several great venues that would be very welcoming to the group. Beautiful area too! Easy draw and easy to get to from surrounding states. 
  • Hi54putty
    Options

Here are a few pics of the shop in Mocksville. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I vote for a NC get together in Asheville DURING the NCAA basketball tournament!  Free entertainment that will guaranteed to be gold!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Hi54putty That place looks like itd be a good spot, my only thought would be insurance and liability concerns on his part, especially if theres alcohol involved.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Hi54putty That place looks like itd be a good spot, my only thought would be insurance and liability concerns on his part, especially if since theres will be alcohol involved.
    FTFY.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Hi54putty That place looks like itd be a good spot, my only thought would be insurance and liability concerns on his part, especially if theres alcohol involved.
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Options
    I got a friend in Hickory that has a bar/grill that was at one time a steakhouse, we would have commercial kitchen, plenty of parking, motels close by, 1 block off I-40/US-321, 45 min to Asheville, 30 min to Boone, 45 min to Charlotte airport, Hickpry airport 3miles, also plenty of alcohol.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    On board myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    piney said:
    I got a friend in Hickory that has a bar/grill that was at one time a steakhouse, we would have commercial kitchen, plenty of parking, motels close by, 1 block off I-40/US-321, 45 min to Asheville, 30 min to Boone, 45 min to Charlotte airport, Hickpry airport 3miles, also plenty of alcohol.
    Which bar/restaurant? 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    "If there's alcohol involved"..... :o

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Belmont, NC

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I vote for a NC get together in Asheville DURING the NCAA basketball tournament!  Free entertainment that will guaranteed to be gold!
    Love me some Asheville. Lot's of microbreweys and art to occupy Mrs northGA...... Whilest I sip and cook.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ok now I've heard microbrew, ncaa basketball, and egging. This sounds good. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Go Kats!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

Ok now that we have some interest now we need someone to contact some of the possible venues and see what dates are available. :) 

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Ok now that we have some interest now we need someone to contact some of the possible venues and see what dates are available. :) 

Yep! I'm going to call a couple of state parks tomorrow.  I'll look at a few near Asheville and then there is another that Matt's friend suggested in Salisbury.  If people have venues/state parks they'd like me to contact, just list them here or DM me!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina, you might want to look around Brevard too. They have Dupont State Park up there and Oskar Blues Brewery. It might give another option.

Belmont, NC

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina, Sandy said something about a fairground in Fletcher, NC should be close in to Asheville...just a thought. I'm in wherever we go! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    piney said:
    @JohnInCarolina, Sandy said something about a fairground in Fletcher, NC should be close in to Asheville...just a thought. I'm in wherever we go! 
    Gary - if you can get the name of the fairground I can look them up and give them a call.  Let me know!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    piney said:
    Gary - if you can get the name of the fairground I can look them up and give them a call.  Let me know!
    Try.. WNC Agriculture Center. Let me know what I can do to help with the organization of this wherever it is located. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm not sure about State Parks in NC but in FL no adult beverages, they do not inforce it unless they see it is a problem.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    John, I found this list on the Asheville Chamber of Commerce site. http://web.ashevillechamber.org/Event-Facilities

I will do some checking for state park rules and regulations. My brother is retired from South Carolina DNR, so he can point me in the right direction. He's vacationing in Boone, NC now, but I should be able to reach him by cell phone later today.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dredger said:
    John, I found this list on the Asheville Chamber of Commerce site. http://web.ashevillechamber.org/Event-Facilities

I will do some checking for state park rules and regulations. My brother is retired from South Carolina DNR, so he can point me in the right direction. He's vacationing in Boone, NC now, but I should be able to reach him by cell phone later today.
    Thank you - that would be a HUGE help!

For what it's worth, Boone would be a great place as well. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Love the questions! just be sure about the alcohol! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You may also look here if you are looking for a picnic pavillion:
    http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Departments/ParksRecreation/ParksFacilitiesInventory.aspx

I looked through a few and I think Carrier park is the largest with 34 tables.  

Also found this:
    http://ashevillenc.gov/Portals/0/city-documents/development services/permits_and_applications/outdoor_special_events/Outdoor Special Event Guide - 2012.1.pdf

Page 18 describes an Alcoholic beverage permit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.