Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - peach preserves and awesome

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Peach preserves on pork is like peanut butter with chocolate, syrup on waffles......
    It just does.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Peach preserves mixed with dark molasses is my go to glaze for pork. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dark molasses, pickling salt and filtered water is my brine for pork.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Apple butter is also really good on pork loin

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Dark molasses, pickling salt and filtered water is my brine for pork.
    The dark molasses sounds like an eggcellent idea!
    TY!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Pickling salt is so fine in size...almost a powder....blend well, absorbs better...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Well hot damn, guess what I brought home today?  A rack of ribs, yeah baby!!  
    Yukon, what temp and for how long did you cook those badass looking ribs?
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• YukonRon
    Options
    225⁰F until the toothpick says they are done, (no resistance). 5-5.5 hours bbs, 6-6.6 hours St.L.

Smoke with leach wood if you can.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bradleya123
    Options

That peach preserve is awesome on ribs!  Wowzer!!  Best ribs we've had in a long time unbelievable.  Thanks for idea YukonRon!!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• YukonRon
    Options

That peach preserve is awesome on ribs!  Wowzer!!  Best ribs we've had in a long time unbelievable.  Thanks for idea YukonRon!!!  
    Glad you enjoyed it. It is our favorite too. Try it on a pork butt.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @YukonRon, finally gave these a try last night, most excellent.  Will also give your "Peach" recipe a go the next time I do a pork butt.  Thank you for sharing your methods.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @YukonRon, finally gave these a try last night, most excellent.  Will also give your "Peach" recipe a go the next time I do a pork butt.  Thank you for sharing your methods.

They look awesome. Very glad they turned out for you. You will really like the peach butt method. Pass it on....

Kind of funny, but now in Louisville, you can't find peach preserves anywhere. Everybody is hording it for pork bbq cooks.

I asked for them at one store, and they told me they get in about 4 cases/shipment, and are gone within hours.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Ron is correct peach and pork is this shiznit. I made some peach preserve ribs about a month ago and they were some of the best I’ve ever had.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• erniemcclain
    Options
    Looks Excellent

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    YukonRon, these are going on tomorrow. My only question would be I've recently been using the Joetissierie for my ribs, would this just cause the preserves when heated to drip off. And would just doing them regularly rather than the rotissierie be a better idea when using the preserves? My son is actually going to be doing the ribs, I'll just be his helper. Looking forward to the cook. Thank you. 
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Moleman

Never done the rotisserie, but yes, the preserves would likely slide off during the process. I have always laid them flat and let them ride indirect, low and slow. BBRs 225⁰-250⁰F for about 5 hours .....until the toothpick says they are done.
    Put a pan under them.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2020
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Pickling salt is so fine in size...almost a powder....blend well, absorbs better...

I got that same method from Alton Brown. We love it. 
    Dropping one in the brine to smoke overnight for mom's Mothersday surprise. Thanks for sharing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I got that same method from Alton Brown. We love it. 
    Dropping one in the brine to smoke overnight for mom's Mothersday surprise. Thanks for sharing! 
    He got it from me. Just kidding. I was preparing a brine a few years ago and ran out of regular table salt.
    My Beautiful Wife had some pickling salt so I just used that at the same weight. Never went back.
    It works great...

I just finished a 6 pound bone in, 18 hours on the egg. CRAZIEST COOK, ever....dropped ten degrees, twice during the stall.

When done I was shredding it with our son, his girl friend and My Beautiful Wife in the kitchen with me, I was only able to get 3.5 pounds out of it. I could not keep their hands out of the pan.

We destroyed 1/2 pound on nachos soon there after.

Something you may wish to try:

I have taken 1 pound, and put it in a one gallon plastic bag compress and roll very tightly, expelling all the air out as you roll it tightly. Place in the fridge overnight, then transfer the formed meat to a food saver bag. Freeze then thaw and remove. 

Warm to desired temp.....and slice it like you would do pork tenderloin. You can reshred it if you want, but it makes killer bbq sliders on kings rolls with either sauce or mustard of your choice.

We been making red beans and rice with the pork and adding garlic infused sriracha. It is "Makes your tongue slap your brains out" good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Moleman
    Options
    Now let's hear more about this garlic infused sriracha? I believe it was asked about in another thread, or possibly this one earlier. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    @Moleman

I just take juice from garlic, you can make your own, or buy it at the grocery store, mix it to your flavor level with sriracha, and apply to everything you eat.

It fails to suck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Moleman
    Options
    I appreciate it  thank you. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    No problem.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    Options
    @YukonRon

About to this give this a try in a couple of hours.  Day of relaxing, drinking, and smelling the greatness of the smoke this will create.

Thanks for sharing.

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @EGoldstein
    I hope you enjoy as much as we have. Have fun. If you can find either a granache, or pinot noir french Rosé, I recommend it highly when serving with that meal.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    I have a Boston Butt this way on now . 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @EGoldstein
    I hope you enjoy as much as we have. Have fun. If you can find either a granache, or pinot noir french Rosé, I recommend it highly when serving with that meal.
    Have you ever tried a Pinotage with BBQ?  I highly recommend it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    @EGoldstein
    Have you ever tried a Pinotage with BBQ?  I highly recommend it.
    @Foghorn

We have and love it. It is either pinotage or rosé with Q around here. We got caught up in Rosé a couple years ago while in Burgundy. €3.00 a liter,  Bbq pork chops, and the cheeses, kind of went together very well.

Which reminds me.... I have a 2004 burgundy in the rack, screaming to be opened. Last bottle from our trip.

BTW.....SG just released their first Rosé. I bought 6. It is a grenache and PN blend. As good as I have ever had. If you can find it, buy it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    edited May 2020
    Options
     Finished.  Never wrapped.  I like them so there is a slight pull from the bone, but not fall off the bone(too mushy for my preference that way).  They were cooked perfectly.  Took 6 1/2 hours and I let them rest for 30 minutes.  

They were outstanding.

Thanks Ron for the recipe.

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
  • YukonRon
    Options
     Finished.  Never wrapped.  I like them so there is a slight pull from the bone, but not fall off the bone(too mushy for my preference that way).  They were cooked perfectly.  Took 6 1/2 hours and I let them rest for 30 minutes.  

They were outstanding.

Thanks Ron for the recipe.

So happy you liked them. I agree, a little pull, defines perfect ribs.

Play it forward, share it with others.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    Would you consider Snuckers Peach Jam the same as Peach Preserves?
    Bought some today hoping to try this.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE