Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - peach preserves and awesome

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    DMW said:
    YukonRon said:
    @DMW what type of rub did you use?
    I mixed up a rub that was pretty similar to yours, but less cayenne and and I added ancho chili powder.
    Nice, how much ancho?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited October 2015
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    DMW said:
    YukonRon said:
    I mixed up a rub that was pretty similar to yours, but less cayenne and and I added ancho chili powder.
    Nice, how much ancho?
    OK, I realized I actually forgot the brown sugar, and I also added cumin. I did about 5% cayenne, and 5% ancho, and I just added a bit of cumin in without measuring.

The ribs were excellent BTW, my wife's reaction "I actually like these ribs". She's not usually a rib fan, so that says a lot.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Great idea! Will have to give the preserves a try next time I do ribs. They look great. Looks like it gives them a nice char too. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    These look outstanding. Based on what your have been cooking lately, I have a rub sauce combination I would like for your to try @YukonRon while you are riding the fruit train.... The sauce is actually a lot of fun to make....and will bring you much joy with the pork rib. 

Blueberry Chipotle Stout BBQ Baby Back Ribs.
    You can handle the cooking....so I want include those details.

Rub (mix together)
    2 packed tbsp brown sugar
    1tbsp + 1 tsp kosher salt
    1tsp freshly cracked black pepper
    2 tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp onion powder
    1tbsp mustard powder

Sauce Ingredients
    1tsp Canola oil
    1 Small sweet onion diced
    1 Small Shallot diced
    2 -4  Cloves of garlic (depending on size and your like for garlic)
    24 ounce of stout beer (I buy from my local microbrewery) I prefer more of a coffee stout as opposed to a chocolate....however both will do you well.
    8 - 10 oz of ripe blueberries
    1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 tsp pureed chipotle in adobo (honestly I use a bit more depending on your preference for heat)
    1 tbsp molasses
    1/3 cup of Heinz ketchup
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Sauce Method - 
    Preheat the canola oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and shallot to the pot. Sweat the onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the garlic and stir. Cook for another min or so, and add the stout beer to the pot . Raise the heat to medium high. Allow to simmer and reduce by half, about 15-25 minutes. 

While the stout is reducing, place the blueberries, brown sugar and cider vinegar into a small sauce pan. Place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until the blueberries begin to burst. Remove from heat and set a side to cool.

Add the blueberry mixture and the rest of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce to the reduced stout and whisk. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Let the sauce cool slightly then transfer to a blender. Blend until very smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as desired with kosher salt. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a box of the Sysco Butcher's Block brand SLS coming in next week, I think I will try the peach preserves on a couple of racks.
    I've never used peach wood. Is the peach wood integral to the recipe? or would a little hickory work? I am a little concerned the hickory would overpower the peach flavor. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have a box of the Sysco Butcher's Block brand SLS coming in next week, I think I will try the peach preserves on a couple of racks.
    I've never used peach wood. Is the peach wood integral to the recipe? or would a little hickory work? I am a little concerned the hickory would overpower the peach flavor. 
    I used oak and cherry wood for smoke.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    Options
    These look outstanding. Based on what your have been cooking lately, I have a rub sauce combination I would like for your to try @YukonRon while you are riding the fruit train.... The sauce is actually a lot of fun to make....and will bring you much joy with the pork rib. 

Blueberry Chipotle Stout BBQ Baby Back Ribs.
    You can handle the cooking....so I want include those details.

Rub (mix together)
    2 packed tbsp brown sugar
    1tbsp + 1 tsp kosher salt
    1tsp freshly cracked black pepper
    2 tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp onion powder
    1tbsp mustard powder

Sauce Ingredients
    1tsp Canola oil
    1 Small sweet onion diced
    1 Small Shallot diced
    2 -4  Cloves of garlic (depending on size and your like for garlic)
    24 ounce of stout beer (I buy from my local microbrewery) I prefer more of a coffee stout as opposed to a chocolate....however both will do you well.
    8 - 10 oz of ripe blueberries
    1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 tsp pureed chipotle in adobo (honestly I use a bit more depending on your preference for heat)
    1 tbsp molasses
    1/3 cup of Heinz ketchup
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Sauce Method - 
    Preheat the canola oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and shallot to the pot. Sweat the onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the garlic and stir. Cook for another min or so, and add the stout beer to the pot . Raise the heat to medium high. Allow to simmer and reduce by half, about 15-25 minutes. 

While the stout is reducing, place the blueberries, brown sugar and cider vinegar into a small sauce pan. Place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until the blueberries begin to burst. Remove from heat and set a side to cool.

Add the blueberry mixture and the rest of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce to the reduced stout and whisk. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Let the sauce cool slightly then transfer to a blender. Blend until very smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as desired with kosher salt. 
    Dude. Right on. Will do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GregW said:
    I think any wood you enjoy would work. I think the key is as you said, not to overpower the cook. Hickory may do that if you are not careful. I used small amounts 8oz> at the start and about an hour to hour and a half, prior to finish. The sweet smoke was there, and added flavor, but it is just one of many layers that you get. Good luck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

byrne092 said:
    Great idea! Will have to give the preserves a try next time I do ribs. They look great. Looks like it gives them a nice char too. 
    Great char and a savory sweet flavor. You will like them. Good luck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    DMW said:
    YukonRon said:
    DMW said:
    YukonRon said:
    Nice, how much ancho?
    OK, I realized I actually forgot the brown sugar, and I also added cumin. I did about 5% cayenne, and 5% ancho, and I just added a bit of cumin in without measuring.

The ribs were excellent BTW, my wife's reaction "I actually like these ribs". She's not usually a rib fan, so that says a lot.

Exactly! My Beautiful Wife said the same thing. If she likes it, it is golden. I am glad you did like them. They look awesome.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Doing third rack in 5 days. Family and friends loves them. Starting early morning FTC until lunch, if necessary.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of the peach preserves on butt.  Best one cooked to date was with this method.  Haven't tried the ribs yet but it's next.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The harshest critic when it comes to Ribs is my beautiful wife. She loves them. I know you will too. Have fun!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    I’m going to give the peach preserves a try this Sunday on baby backs.  Should be tasty!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @YukonRon you are the reason my pantry is always stocked with a half dozen peach preserve jars! I'm been copying your technique for years on pork butts and have high Hope's for the ribs.  But cranking up to 400 scares me a little with the sugar...  you sure it doesn't burn too much? 

I'm trying it this weekend!  Appreciate your wisdom over the years sir.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice and worthy resurrection!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GoooDawgs said: ki
    @YukonRon you are the reason my pantry is always stocked with a half dozen peach preserve jars! I'm been copying your technique for years on pork butts and have high Hope's for the ribs.  But cranking up to 400 scares me a little with the sugar...  you sure it doesn't burn too much? 

I'm trying it this weekend!  Appreciate your wisdom over the years sir.
    I have not had an issue. Sugar has already rendered. I have let them go 250F/duration and they came out fine. Just like setting it a bit. Hope you enjoy.

Doing ribs and wings this weekend, and a tenderloin should be good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Two racks of baby backs, slathered with mustard, doused with Dizzy Dust, and smeared with peach preserves.  Let’s do this!

• YukonRon
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    Two racks of baby backs, slathered with mustard, doused with Dizzy Dust, and smeared with peach preserves.  Let’s do this!

That looks awsome....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Jcl5150 said:

That looks awsome....
    Thanks!  I threw in a few chunks of apple and post oak to flavor it.  Can’t wait to try them!
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Looks delicious.  I wonder how this would pan out on some chicken.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    On for two hours and just foiled and added a bit of peach nectar.  I’ll let that cook about an hour then see where I’m at.  I’m running about 325, so I’ll probably sauce with a peach preserves/Sweet Baby Ray mixture and then let it sit for another half hour and then see how they look.
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Unwrapped and sauced with the peach preserve/Sweet Baby Ray mixture.

• Jcl5150
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Finished and resting.  Love the color!  I didn’t get a plated picture, but these were easily the best baby backs I’ve done.  My six-year old went back for thirds!  Perfect mix of sweet and heat.  Thanks for the recipe, RRP!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    LOL......RRP.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    LOL......RRP.
    Oh, man!  I’m so sorry!  I meant you...YukonRon...total brain fart on my part!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    LOL......RRP.
    Hahahahahaha

Little Rock, AR

• YukonRon
    Options
    No disrespect to @RRP......I just hope I will be half the cook he is.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That’s 4 post in a row mentioning rrp.  Be careful or he’ll show up like Beetlejuice does 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • craigsotheregg
    Options
    I tried peach preserves on a small 3 bone loin roast. Really tasty. I’ll try the ribs soon. Thanks for posting this. 

XL BGE
    Malden, MA