Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank steak

Options
How should I cook this? Direct or indirect? 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I always do flank steak direct. The last couple I've done I've used my SV to give them a chance to tenderize a bit and then just a quick sear over high heat.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Direct.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Hot and fast direct.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Direct!    Should be awesome.  Just made some last week.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Direct. 

I always do flank steak direct. The last couple I've done I've used my SV to give them a chance to tenderize a bit and then just a quick sear over high heat.
    How are they out of the SV? Do you like them better than just straight grilling them?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    SGH said:
    Direct. 

How are they out of the SV? Do you like them better than just straight grilling them?
    Yes. Especially for fajitas. I can SV them to get the meat more tender without having to overcook them. I'll usually marinate the skirt steak 12-24 hours and then SV in the marinade.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I SV at 120 seasoned with cowlick and a couple teaspoons of butter in a foodsaver bag for 2 to 2 1/2 hours then sear in a 550/600 CI for 90/120 seconds a side. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    Options
    I'll usually marinate the skirt steak 12-24 hours and then SV in the marinade.
    I know I'm fishing here, but can I ask what marinade you are using? I have been using a five part chili powder cut with a little oil. While it's good, I'm always looking for something new. 

@SteveinTracy My apologies for hijacking. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I SV at 120 seasoned with cowlick and a couple teaspoons of butter in a foodsaver bag for 2 to 2 1/2 hours then sear in a 550/600 CI for 90/120 seconds a side. 
    It looks outstanding brother Magic. I will give this a try myself. 

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'll usually marinate the skirt steak 12-24 hours and then SV in the marinade.
    I know I'm fishing here, but can I ask what marinade you are using? I have been using a five part chili powder cut with a little oil. While it's good, I'm always looking for something new. 

@SteveinTracy My apologies for hijacking. 

Always happy to share. However, I just do what "feels right" at the time and what I have on hand. Usually has some mix of soy sauce, ground cumin, s&p, lime juice and maybe a little cayenne (if I'm feeling randy).
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SGH said:

I've used this for the past year and it is excellent and quick.

First off, I filet the flank.  (make 1 thick flank, 2 thin flanks)

In a blender or small food processor combine;
    (I double or triple this portion)
    1/2 c cilantro
    3 garlic cloves
    3 scallions
    1 jalapeno
    1/2 t cumin
    1/4 c oil
    1T fresh lime juice.

If I'm doubling or tripling it, it's mostly extra cilantro, lime, oil and cumin, maybe not a full triple on garlic, jalapeno.

Rub that paste on the meat and let it sit for 30 minutes in the fridge (good time to light the egg and get it dialed in), scrape off most of the marinade, dust with pepper and sugar, and grill.  

Now the extra paste/marinade that you don't use is KILLER as a chimmichurri sauce, but you have to dial it in a bit or it's too garlic heavy.  So, take the leftover paste and add more fresh lime juice and some salt to it.   It'll be so good you'll eat three times your normal portion just to carry this flavor into your mouth.  :open_mouth:

Some pics from the first time I made it last year.  Didn't take any pics last week when I grilled it. Just keeps getting better...

LBGE/Maryland
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Dang that looks good!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I cook these a lot.  Get it as hot as you can 700+ and cook until it reaches 115-120 internal.  Slice on a 45 degree angle across the grain - makes all the difference.  Fantastic.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Trixie_Belle
    Options
    Now, I want flank steak!   B)
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Texan of the North, ty for the SV times and temps, Gonna try this.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SteveinTracy
    Options
  • SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.