Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking order based on temperature

Options
I want to grill pork tenderloins (400 direct) and scallops (500 direct). Which order should I cook the food. Lower to higher or higher to lower.

Also, I read all the discussions about grilling chicken using direct/indirect heat. I found that putting less lump into the grill made a difference in helping me keep temperatures low enough. I grilled my chicken direct and it was moist and delicious. Anything else I'm missing?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Scallops won't take much time at all. Do the pork tenderloins first and tent when done while scallops cook
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I want to grill pork tenderloins (400 direct) and scallops (500 direct). Which order should I cook the food. Lower to higher or higher to lower.

Honestly there is no right or wrong way here. However I would cook the loin first and while its resting and redistributing it's moisture, I would crank the egg up for the scallops. By doing it this way, you can serve every thing piping hot. Scallops take mere seconds if you are really cranked up. Myself, Nola and Grim kicked some out last week at 55 seconds per side at a estimated (not confirmed) 700 degrees. They were outstanding to say the least. For clarity, the scallops require no rest where as the loin benefits greatly from a good rest. Just my thoughts my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Also, I read all the discussions about grilling chicken using direct/indirect heat. I found that putting less lump into the grill made a difference in helping me keep temperatures low enough. I grilled my chicken direct and it was moist and delicious. Anything else I'm missing?
    Sounds like you have it going your way. However here is a useful tip. Using a small amount of lump (as you stated above) works great for short cooks. However if you are cooking a large amount of chicken, to avoid having to reload with lump, you can fill it on up and cooked raised direct as opposed to standard direct. It accomplishes the same goal but gives you considerably longer burn time without having to fuss with removing the grid and adding new lump. Plus you won't have to wait for the VOC,s to burn off again.  A raised direct setup is great to have in your cooking arsenal. It's my favorite way to cook beef back ribs. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    ^^^^ this for any highly grease depositing cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    @SGH   As you suggested for cooking raised direct chicken etc. what level do you put lump to?  I generally go to top of fire bowl and when going indirect for low and slows I go to top of fore ring. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH   As you suggested for cooking raised direct chicken etc. what level do you put lump to?  
    If I'm cooking "raised direct" I will fill it all the way to the top of the fire ring that sits on top of the fire box. This way I will get several hours of cooking without having to add lump. This is especially nice when running high temps that consume rapidly.  

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    At the risk of pushing against the tide here-I tend to load low ( no higher than the fire box) with lump for a known grease producing cook and then run raised direct.  Given the cook temp you can get several hours of high (>350*F ) temp cooks with that set-up and minimize the flare-ups.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lovestocook
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Scallops look delicious. What are you cooking them on? 
  • SGH
    Options
    That is a 3/8 thick piece of scrap metal plate. 

Status- Standing by.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    SGH said:
    So is that just mild steel or SS
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've never seen my brother @SGH opt for mild :D
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I've tried chicken thighs twice. MBGE. Raised about 1/2" above the felt line. Direct 400. I swear I'm going to burn my hair off or the house down. The drippings create a huge fire. I want crispy skin but not my skin. Indirect has to be the best way for the MBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    jabam said:
    SGH said:
    So is that just mild steel or SS
    @jabam it's some aluminum or magnesium alloy.  Transfers heat much faster than ferrous alloys.   It's from a quarter million dollar ICP spectrophotometer made by Perkin Elmer.  For me, free.
    Options
    @lovestocook, your method of using less lump for chicken will also work perfect for the your tenderloin/scallop cook. You'll have plenty of fuel to do both proteins with the temps you listed. Less airflow issues will allow you to crank the temp up quickly while the tenderloin rests. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming