Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Cap v1 vs. v2

Options
13»

Comments

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    There is a reason they made these changes. There was obvious feedback that it didn't hold low and slow and that it didn't snuff out the lump as well as the OEM stuff. Call me a purist but I like what works
    I see what you did there...
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe because I typically cook L&S at 275 rather than the really low temps. Just easier to maintain with no controller. 

Still, looking forward to some reviews. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    We are very fortunate to have a bunch of small businesses that have grown up to support BGE owners and BBQing in general.  That they listen and react to our suggestions is commendable.  Yes, we serve as their final R&D department, but there's nothing wrong with that ... some very big companies, who should know better, take that approach.

A few examples come to mind:

KAB ... Chad came out with a product that many of us found useful.  Then he heard that a number of folks were removing the OEM grate and running only the KAB.  Positive airflow results were mentioned, and so he improved the KAB by using larger diameter wire so that it would better support the lump.  Now if he'd only make it taller.

CGS ... Tom reacted to our complaints about the lack of an extension for the PSWoo2 units and came out with one this year.  Thanks Tom.

Smokeware ... Matt is extremely responsive to customer input.  When he saw the Flat Cap concept he put it into production within a few months ... after improving on the idea.  The new angled vent on the cap is a good improvement.  He's coming out with a new dome temp gauge based on suggestions from users of the first unit.

Flame Boss ... wow have they come a long way in a short time.  Talk about customer support ... wow.  To think that it started with one of the owners building a control unit for himself, and now is supplying an acceptable alternative product.

There are dozens of other small (ie one or two person) businesses that listen to us and react positively.

Even some of the large businesses are catering to our input.  @tspud1 has a restaurant supply business for custom SS fixtures ... but, he builds great SS carts on the side for us.  Even Challenger Carts is a relatively new (and still small) side business (division) that was started to supply carts to the BBQ crowd.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    Anyone hear listen to Sublime?  I cannot help but hear their song "Caress Me Down" while I read this thread.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    My favorite lump (royal oak) burns cleaner with a SW cap, that and the rain doesn't get in and ruin my cooks.
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Received and "installed" the SW cap v2 today, and I'm putting a Boston butt on tonight for pulled pork tomorrow. Tolerances are a little tighter on this model. I'm shooting for 225 degrees with the CyberQ. Here's how I've set the cap:

LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No issues holding temp with v1 or v2 unless I light too big a fire...natural or with a Stoker
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Received and "installed" the SW cap v2 today, and I'm putting a Boston butt on tonight for pulled pork tomorrow. Tolerances are a little tighter on this model. I'm shooting for 225 degrees with the CyberQ. Here's how I've set the cap:

good - did you put on a SmokeWare supplied gasket? If so then where? It is probably too late now, but I always suggest contrary to the instruction sheet to apply it to the inside of the SmokeWare  MALE piece and never on the BGE itself. Tell you tomorrow if you question why.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    I have v1 and v2. V2 is looser. Now when I remove my cover, the top of the v2 always comes off with it. Didn't have that issue with v1. i am also experiencing  my temperature creeping upward.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    @RRP, remember I had a v1... and I followed the supplied instructions the first time around, so I have gasket on the neck of my Egg. I've read the reasons, and they make sense. The question now is whether I remove the old one from the Egg and take the new gasket I got with v2 and install it on the new SW cap, OR give it to my friend along with the v1 cap and do it later. I'd feel a little bad about shorting him a gasket.

Regarding the cook... Before the Egg got to 190 I changed the set point to 210. It's now at 213. Here's my temp chart:

That oscillation around the set point is between 208 & 213, from the looks of it, and it's because the cap is practically closed. I'll bet there's a "sweeter" spot on the cap that would allow the fan not to cycle so much... although 7-8 times over 4 hours isn't bad at all. And maybe the CyberQ will get smarter with the new top. I don't know how this "learning algorithm" works.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That fire died pretty quick.  Man I will say though, some of yalls lump sparks super easy!   =)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    NoobZero said:
    I have v1 and v2. V2 is looser. Now when I remove my cover, the top of the v2 always comes off with it. Didn't have that issue with v1. i am also experiencing  my temperature creeping upward.
    That's odd. Just the opposite for me. I don't use a cover, though, so I can't speak to that.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @RRP I just got the Smokeware cap. Why would you suggest gasket on cap instead of dome?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @RRP I just got the smokrware. Why would you suggest gasket on cap instead of dome?
    Suit yourself, but when I do a high temperature burn out then I remove my SW cap entirely which means the gasket is out of harms way. Otherwise the adhesive on that gasket CAN melt if it is on the egg.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    @RRP I just got the Smokeware cap. Why would you suggest gasket on cap instead of dome?
    Suit yourself, but when I do a high temperature burn out then I remove my SW cap entirely which means the gasket is out of harms way. Otherwise the adhesive on that gasket CAN melt if it is on the egg.
    Smart move. Makes sense. Thanks for the tip!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Just looked up this topic. I have had my Egg for a year now using the Smokeware SS V2 top. I have had issues with the temperature creeping up way too high during my cooks. Didn't ruin anything but it was hard to keep things at 250. Usually hit 260-270.

Today on my most recent slow cook of a pork shoulder I decided to use the BGE Daisy wheel for the first time.  Not sure but it seems to me that it holds the temperature more steady than the SS topper. Anyone else notice this?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options
     I'm in the minority but I actually like the daisy setup. Guess that's how I learned to do it and it's very natural to me. I can dial it in within 10 degrees without thinking about it. I'm always up for something new though so we'll see.

Brother Tex, I like the Daisy wheel as well. I have never had any issue hitting and holding temps with it. I can hold 150-800 degrees with the Daisy wheel at will. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This thread is amazing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I have a Smokeware cap and have used the daisy wheel on occasion. They both work well but in the rain the Smokeware is hands down a better choice in my humble opinion. I was surprised to read above that there was a recommendation to close the upper vent entirely when using a fan for temp regulation. Isn't the whole idea of the smoke to get airflow? Where does the air and smoke escape from if the upper vent is closed?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SGH said:
     I'm in the minority but I actually like the daisy setup. Guess that's how I learned to do it and it's very natural to me. I can dial it in within 10 degrees without thinking about it. I'm always up for something new though so we'll see.

Brother Tex, I like the Daisy wheel as well. I have never had any issue hitting and holding temps with it. I can hold 150-800 degrees with the Daisy wheel at will. 

With ya there. I used the smokeware cap for a month or two and went back to the daisy wheel. Smokeware cap gets all gunked up and hard to turn. And one tiny area safe to touch when it's hot. 

Plus I don't like that shiny stainless on top of my nice green egg. Not pleasing to my eye. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle