Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here

Options
hello everyone, just picked up my large egg a week ago and have only cooked steaks on it so far. From reading through the forums it looks like I need to get a igrill, need to know which runs I should get and where from. Maybe some recipes for chicken, tri tip, ribs and anything else that taste good. One question I have is I see people talking about raised direct cooking, do I just turn my plate setter upside down or is there another piece I need to buy?  Thanks in advance for any feedback I get. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't think the igrill has too many good reviews from eggers here.  I'd hold off on that until you have some others chime in.  Raised direct would be without the platesetter. (Heat directly on food) The grid is just raised up higher in the dome
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    welcome
    Phoenix 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Welcome. Look into the maverick rather than igrill. Raised direct does not involve the plate setter that would indirect legs up or down. You can use fire bricks or research the woo or adjustable rig. Essentially it is cooking direct at the felt line. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No need for an igrill, whatever that is. 

'Direct' means the food sees flame, so no platesetter. 

'Raised direct' means, well, raised. Since grilling depends on the coals more than dome temp, sometimes you want to temper the heat by getting the food up away (not as close) to the lump. 

I fabbed a raised grid by buying a spare stainless weber grid and adding legs (3 or 4).  Carriage bolts about four to six inches long work great. Bolt the head to the grid with a washer and nut. 

Then, for feet, add a washer sandwiched between two other nuts for each foot. The washer needs to be big enough to not slip thru the grid it rests on
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Ok I will have to research a good probe. Good idea stoke, I will have to build that
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome. Anything fireproof that will sit on the fire ring and then provide a stable base for the grid at the felt ring level is raised direct. Empty beer or soda cans, nuts and bolts or even fire bricks all work well. Raised direct wings and spatchedcock chicken are ideal. Visit the naked whiz site to see spotted chicken. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I assume you already bought the platesetter based on your comment. I did the same and after 2 years finally got tired of the comparative inflexibility of it compared to the adjustable rig sold by the ceramic grill store and broke down and bought one. It give you so many options it's crazy.

After 2 years, the must haves for me are as follows:
    1. Thermapen (instant read thermometer)
    2. Maverick 732 (remote thermometer for monitoring food temps and grid temp remotely)
    3. Adjustable rig (give so many options to cook low and slow or hot and fast and multi leveled)
    4. A second egg (picking up my MiniMax today)
    5. PartyQ temp controller (haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but I think I'm going to love it when it comes in
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Consensus here is that people don't seem to like the iGrill.  That being said, I really like mine.  

Also, research the pswoo and adjustable rig at ceramic grill store (google it). They make top quality 3rd party products
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  What follows is a collection of misc info (some of which has been mentioned above) that may be of use:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/ Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/  

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    welcome aboard. You found the right spot.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You found the right spot.

That's what she said. 

Seriously though welcome to the forum. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    There was a recent thread about what accessory people most regretted buying. You should definitely find and read that thread. Probably save you a bunch of money!

I saw several recommendations for the Maverick 732 on here. Your mileage may vary, but for me that would be pretty high up my regret buying list. It sounds really good in theory, but the reality is I haven't used mine in well over a year, which includes many long brisket and pork butt cooks over that time. Pretty much all I use for temperature monitoring is the thermometer on the BGE and my Thermapen (which rocks).
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey Welcome, I too built the same raised grid it's a snap and cheap.  Here's a pic.  I'm happy with my Maverick.  Is that Tracy, CA?
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Yes it is tracy, ca
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome...

In addition to the items mentioned above; I would also suggest a good pair of gloves for handling hot items and protecting your wrists and arms when reaching in... Welder gloves at the very least or a pair like these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GEBA52C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got them about a week ago and they are very good.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..Alcohol, Egg and Dead Animals. ..all you need beside a thermapen 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I'm not far from you, I'm in Stockton.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    bud812 said:
    I'm not far from you, I'm in Stockton.
    I'm in Hanford, about 2 hr drive
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Welcome....

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I'm in Iowa only 28 hour drive away
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome don't for get to take pictures 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Steaks are from last week and tri-tip is cooking right now
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    hapster said:
    Welcome...

In addition to the items mentioned above; I would also suggest a good pair of gloves for handling hot items and protecting your wrists and arms when reaching in... Welder gloves at the very least or a pair like these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GEBA52C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got them about a week ago and they are very good.

Hap, I've wasted a bunch of money on gloves that don't protect me when I quickly remove my plate setter for a reverse sear.   Perhaps I'm expecting too much but will these work?   

SteveinTracy, welcome.   
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Ok I will have to research a good probe. Good idea stoke, I will have to build that
    Welcome to the party.  If you are talking meat temp probe then there is ThermoPop or Thermopen for instant reading.  The Pop is only about $25 to $30 vs the pen at $100.  If you looking for a temp probe for long cooks I am looking at the Maverick ET-735, it links up with your smart phone.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THCADHW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LH1RPMASBL6X&coliid=I33DQLA24788VV&psc=1
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.