Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on Butt/Shoulder

Options
tvia84
tvia84 Posts: 2
Hey yall. 

As I continue to smoke pork butts/shoulders for pulled pork, Ive noticed that everything is fantastic except one small issue - the meat in the middle is fairly bland. Ive thought about brining it but Im not sure I want all the salt and Ive thought about injecting but Im not sure I want to spend the cash on the equipment on it. 

So I thought to myself "if smoke only penetrates about an inch into the meat, how can I create more surface area?" 

What are some thoughts about "butterflying" a butt/shoulder? Not to porchetta dimensions, but just a small cut on the meat side of the butt to "open it up" a bit to allow more surface area for smoke and rub. Clearly youd have to keep dimensions fairly similar to make sure it all cooks evenly etc, but I think I might try this on my next butt. What do yall think? 

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Welcome. What is your rub method?  What is presentation method for serving? Everyone does things differently and has different taste preferences.

I keep them whole and only rub with kosher salt and pepper and typically chop getting a good mix of bark in every bite.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    You'd shorten your cook time with butter flying and potentially have to be careful with drying out. I've seen others do butt steaks which are similar to what you're talking about. Typically on butt steaks I've seen people wrap with butter/honey/brown sugar to speed cooking and keep moist but that would soften your bark. I think you should try it and report back. If some of it gets too dry you can do some pork burnt ends like @SGH.  

After chopping I add some additional rub to help season the middle parts that are under seasoned. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Try one of the cheaper plastic injectors. They are around $5 or less most places. Can do a mix of your rub with AJ or white grape juice. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have never injected anything (don't own an injector) and I won't brine because of the sodium level (plus I always heard that a brined butt came out tasting like ham). Nothing wrong with ham... unless you're going for pork barbecue. :)

I have two rubs I enjoy. One is an elder ward type blend that I have used for years  (see Naked Whiz site). The other is the simple salt and pepper (and not much salt at that) that I used on my last butt. I like both, but the s&p tastes very different; more the flavor of the PORK than the rub. For me, a good thing. I may well stick with just s&p. The Skylight Inn in Ayden NC uses just salt on a whole hog... and they are an INSTITUTION! 

As for outer vs inner flavoring, other than the bark which I nibble at while I'm pulling/chopping the meat, it all gets blended together anyway so you can't really tell which is which. Every bite's the same.

I had some s&p butt just last night (cooked and frozen last October). Man, it don't git no better'n that!! Makes me want to do it again tonight with the extra I defrosted, instead of the pizza I had planned. Hmm, pizza topped with butt is sounding really good! :)

Anyway, my vote is to enjoy the MEAT, forget the spices. Welcome to the madhouse!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    my brother buys boneless and just splays them open with the inside/boneside up, nooks and cranies like a large english muffin =)holds rubs and he bastes that side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tvia84
    tvia84 Posts: 2
    Options
    I make my own rub and pull and mix together. Still get the middle part that's just "pork". Nothing wrong with that but more flavor would be better. I'll try out what I have in my head and let yall know. I'm thinking of maybe splaying it out, rubbing generously with my rub, smoking for however long then wrapping to prevent drying. Then when it's about don't possibly unwrapping and letting it go a little while uncovered to firm up bark. 

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I find that if you don't pull and mix with a good sauce; the pulled product is better after a spell spent in the freezer and then used for other dishes... Like pizza  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
    Options
    @hapster is right.  Pulled pork is great, but even better on day 2.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin