Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like onion @Botch
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Botch said:
    Pork Fried Rice...  BS continues to amaze me..
    Okay, those perfect small white squares were pork?  I coulda swore you were doing a peas/carrots/marshmallows stir-fry!  The final result looks delish!  
    Yep... I had a small pork tenderloin I just cut up small pieces... worked great

Recipe had rice, pork, onions, peas and carrots, egg, scallion, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I stand corrected.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    It looks fantastic Matt.... I love fried rice!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    It looks fantastic Matt.... I love fried rice!
    I'd like to take credit for that fried rice, but that was Johnny Tarheel.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ha ha...  I got lost in the thread.....

But just in case you ever wanted to know, I do love fried rice.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    Cool project, Matt. 

I want to restore a vintage car one day.  I'm not going to start from scratch, hopefully, but buy someone's failed dream where they got like 90% done (and done it right).
    Thanks buddy.  This will be a long project, but worth it.  

This was my late fathers 65 C10.  Wasn't really nothing special when he had it and drove it, but it is to me.  It was given to me also on my 16th birthday, though I have never driven it.  My brother had hit someone and it was parked from around 1991 till two years ago when I moved it.  

I set sail to get this restored about two years ago and that guy fell through, but he did keep the truck in his shop and also hauled it around to a new guy (once found) on his rollback.  My mom told me she'd never see that truck on the road before she died.  I was trying to make that happen, but that obviously didn't happen, though my drive is still there to do it, for both my Mom and Dad.  

The guy that's penciled me in about that time is now ready to take this on.  I wasn't "ready" to this, but it's now or never I feel.  I'll feel so much better once it's done.  
    I want a ride in the truck when its finished. 
    Just make sure everything is tightened up ;)
    I'll bring a torque wrench.
    Check the door bolts first. 
    Not the steering wheel?
    I recommend checking the loose nut behind the wheel for sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    Cool project, Matt. 

I want to restore a vintage car one day.  I'm not going to start from scratch, hopefully, but buy someone's failed dream where they got like 90% done (and done it right).
    Thanks buddy.  This will be a long project, but worth it.  

This was my late fathers 65 C10.  Wasn't really nothing special when he had it and drove it, but it is to me.  It was given to me also on my 16th birthday, though I have never driven it.  My brother had hit someone and it was parked from around 1991 till two years ago when I moved it.  

I set sail to get this restored about two years ago and that guy fell through, but he did keep the truck in his shop and also hauled it around to a new guy (once found) on his rollback.  My mom told me she'd never see that truck on the road before she died.  I was trying to make that happen, but that obviously didn't happen, though my drive is still there to do it, for both my Mom and Dad.  

The guy that's penciled me in about that time is now ready to take this on.  I wasn't "ready" to this, but it's now or never I feel.  I'll feel so much better once it's done.  
    I want a ride in the truck when its finished. 
    Just make sure everything is tightened up ;)
    I'll bring a torque wrench.
    Check the door bolts first. 
    Not the steering wheel?
    I recommend checking the loose nut behind the wheel for sure.
    Image result for burn gif
    Options
    Options
    Hawking for the burn.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Good luck with the restoration @tarheelmatt, there's a lot of work in front of you - and a lot of expense!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon Have some fun!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Dropped my cab, doors, hood, and a few other items off at the sandblaster. The 65 project is running along well. Except for me dumping the bed on the dolly off the trailer and into the middle of the road while making to the sandblaster. 

nice project. my original work fleet was a 67 and 70 chevy weld trucks and a 72 ramp. still have the 70 and 72. the 60's trucks were great looking trucks, the 70's not so good looking. upgraded the 72 with a f550 last year but decided to keep the old ramp anyways, dad bought that one around 75 and i like the setup better. are you going old school or updating brakes etc, if old school make sure you research which setups are more available, the drums on my 72 are impossible to find, they had maybe4 different setups that year.

dont keep tabs on costs and labor hours, it will make you cry =) we restored my uncles first car, a 56 tbird, it was in the shop over 4 years, atleast a 100,000 dollar manhours in that thing and i am under estimating that greatly ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Options
    Dropped my cab, doors, hood, and a few other items off at the sandblaster. The 65 project is running along well. Except for me dumping the bed on the dolly off the trailer and into the middle of the road while making to the sandblaster. 

nice project. my original work fleet was a 67 and 70 chevy weld trucks and a 72 ramp. still have the 70 and 72. the 60's trucks were great looking trucks, the 70's not so good looking. upgraded the 72 with a f550 last year but decided to keep the old ramp anyways, dad bought that one around 75 and i like the setup better. are you going old school or updating brakes etc, if old school make sure you research which setups are more available, the drums on my 72 are impossible to find, they had maybe4 different setups that year.

dont keep tabs on costs and labor hours, it will make you cry =) we restored my uncles first car, a 56 tbird, it was in the shop over 4 years, atleast a 100,000 dollar manhours in that thing and i am under estimating that greatly ;)
    What is it with 1972?  My camper is a '72 and it was also a model change year with multiple brake setups, some available and some not.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:

What is it with 1972?  My camper is a '72 and it was also a model change year with multiple brake setups, some available and some not.
    they did some strange things that year, i almost cut the front end off just so i could put new drums up front, then found an incredible deal on a one year old f550. im just using the ramp now for personal use . my 71 fj40 is the most messed up ive ever seen, they made changes weekly i think
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    this pic says it all. pinched nerve lower back, sciatic nerve, left leg out, right hip and lower calf pain. no biggie, its happened over and over again most of my life. now to make it interesting. pinched nerve upper back, left arm is on fire. have had this before, but never both together. all gimped out for the holidays. i need one of those drinking hats =)

fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

@tarheelmatt

You have hero status in my book. I get it. This is not obligation, it is love for your family. A very strong statement indeed.

I have done a couple of rustorations in my time. You can spend days on one little seemingly inconsequential part, and in some cases, end up testing your fabrication skills.  

I love the story behind this, and in my restorations, it was the story that made me want to do them for people. I never had time for the guy that bought a camaro wanting a fixed up type of restoration, I had no motivation to rebuild a toy for abuse, or even to be just sold at a later date. I have no issues for those that do the work, nor those that employ them. Old classic vehicles are cool, to see and even more so, to own. The ultimate symbol for memories of the days gone by.

The vehicles which I had worked on, were icons, within their respective families. The memorial to a departed loved one, an honorary work of art that will be shared for generations, hopefully, that will serve as the vessel of the family's history, be it legend or real. I have always been a romantic at heart, specifically for those which you could see the pride in the peoples eyes and on their face as they spoke of the project and what it meant to them. It was an honor for me to help them keep the memories alive. I did my best. So far they are still on the road.

Occasionally I will get a card or something letting me know all is good. 

These were not done in months. The first was a two year, and 7 month disassemble, refabricate, and rebuild. Parts were literally shipped and replaced from all over North America, Europe, and odd as it may seem, Japan.

Much of the car was salvagable, however there were parts that were not. As you had been advised previously, keeping track of hours and dollars spent in the process will keep you wide awake at night. I was never able to dedicate myself full time to the restorations, however the time that I did, I used as my decompression, which was needed.

I am unable to do much of what I had accomplished previously, neither have I ever I restored a pickup truck. If there is some way I might be able to help, let me know. I doubt that you would need it, or it even be relavent, but my offer stands until you have completed this incredible project.

Anyway, congratulations to you and taking the first step forward. It will be the first of many. Good luck, my friend. I am hoping this will be everything you had hoped for. It most certainly will be a beautiful representation of family, which you will posess for years to come. 

Hoping for a solid, and a first turn, start.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I took the steering wheel off the spare beater Chevy Lumina we have last night. I want to strangle the engineer/designer of the Chevy Lumina. Who makes you remove an airbag  and steering wheel to replace a turn signal switch? On top of that I had to replace the battery. That was 45 minutes plus of work. I had to remove a cross brace, unplug a dongle to the windshield washing fluid reservoir, remove reservoir, and unbolt and move the fuse box to get the battery out. Just an awful design and location for a battery. Hoping to get the switch switched out this evening after work. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    YukonRon said:

@tarheelmatt

You have hero status in my book. I get it. This is not obligation, it is love for your family. A very strong statement indeed.

I have done a couple of rustorations in my time. You can spend days on one little seemingly inconsequential part, and in some cases, end up testing your fabrication skills.  

I love the story behind this, and in my restorations, it was the story that made me want to do them for people. I never had time for the guy that bought a camaro wanting a fixed up type of restoration, I had no motivation to rebuild a toy for abuse, or even to be just sold at a later date. I have no issues for those that do the work, nor those that employ them. Old classic vehicles are cool, to see and even more so, to own. The ultimate symbol for memories of the days gone by.

The vehicles which I had worked on, were icons, within their respective families. The memorial to a departed loved one, an honorary work of art that will be shared for generations, hopefully, that will serve as the vessel of the family's history, be it legend or real. I have always been a romantic at heart, specifically for those which you could see the pride in the peoples eyes and on their face as they spoke of the project and what it meant to them. It was an honor for me to help them keep the memories alive. I did my best. So far they are still on the road.

These were not done in months. The first was a two year, and 7 month disassemble, refabricate, and rebuild. Parts were literally shipped and replaced from all over North America, Europe, and odd as it may seem, Japan.

Much of the car was salvagable, however there were parts that were not. As you had been advised previously, keeping track of hours and dollars spent in the process will keep you wide awake at night. I was never able to dedicate myself full time to the restorations, however the time that I did, I used as my decompression, which was needed.

I am unable to do much of what I had accomplished previously, neither have I ever I restored a pickup truck. If there is some way I might be able to help, let me know. I doubt that you would need it, or it even be relavent, but my offer stands until you have completed this incredible project.

Anyway, congratulations to you and taking the first step forward. It will be the first of many. Good luck, my friend. I am hoping this will be everything you had hoped for. It most certainly will be a beautiful representation of family, which you will posess for years to come. 

Thanks @YukonRon.  Very nice piece of writing.  It's certainly going to be something I want to get my family involved in, especially my little girl.  I hope that in the next year we'll be able to go to a cruise in or a a car show together.  You know, make memories together.  What it's all about, right? 

Thanks for the offer of any help.  The guy doing the project has some great connections and one guy restored a 66 Chevy, which is almost the same.  That guy has offered a wealth of help, in fact, probably saved me from buying a new door already, which is about $500 from LMC Truck.  

The C10 truck has many places to get parts and aftermarket parts.  It's going to be a fun ride.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon Have some fun!
    We will give it our best shot. Thanks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Options
    YukonRon said:

@tarheelmatt

Thanks @YukonRon.  Very nice piece of writing.  It's certainly going to be something I want to get my family involved in, especially my little girl.  I hope that in the next year we'll be able to go to a cruise in or a a car show together.  You know, make memories together.  What it's all about, right? 

Thanks for the offer of any help.  The guy doing the project has some great connections and one guy restored a 66 Chevy, which is almost the same.  That guy has offered a wealth of help, in fact, probably saved me from buying a new door already, which is about $500 from LMC Truck.  

The C10 truck has many places to get parts and aftermarket parts.  It's going to be a fun ride.  
    The hard part is judging what to replace and what to keep. Sometimes, you think you are doing the right thing by replacing parts with new, only to find that the stuff you bought is utter sh1te, which needs replacing again after a short time. Keeping as much OEM as possible is a good start.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

@fishlessman , the plan right now is to put some discs on the front.  Nothing too crazy.  They sell C10 kits pretty reasonable, from what I've seen and heard.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Eoin said:
    YukonRon said:

@tarheelmatt

The hard part is judging what to replace and what to keep. Sometimes, you think you are doing the right thing by replacing parts with new, only to find that the stuff you bought is utter sh1te, which needs replacing again after a short time. Keeping as much OEM as possible is a good start.
    Yes, I agree, and so does the guy restoring.  Like I noted previously, the door save was great.  I'm hoping that most parts needed are patch panels mostly.  We shall see!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    Options

@fishlessman , the plan right now is to put some discs on the front.  Nothing too crazy.  They sell C10 kits pretty reasonable, from what I've seen and heard.  
    thats what i would do, i would go electronic ignition, fuel injection etc but many like original. just trying to drive a truck with a three foot diameter steering wheel is a tough sell for me =) the steering wheel in the 56 bird we did is absurd, getting in and out of it is absurd,driving it is cool as hell
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    Options

thats what i would do, i would go electronic ignition, fuel injection etc but many like original. just trying to drive a truck with a three foot diameter steering wheel is a tough sell for me =) the steering wheel in the 56 bird we did is absurd, getting in and out of it is absurd,driving it is cool as hell
    Will probably not go with FI as I have a complete motor/carb/trans already. 

My dad had a local well known motor head build a 350 for the truck.  Ran great at the time. 

I have the motor at a guys place now to tear down, clean up, and put back together.   

Though I'll probably sell the current three speed to at least go to a four speed.  It was on the column, but was converted to floor at one time.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eoin
    Options

Will probably not go with FI as I have a complete motor/carb/trans already. 

My dad had a local well known motor head build a 350 for the truck.  Ran great at the time. 

I have the motor at a guys place now to tear down, clean up, and put back together.   

Though I'll probably sell the current three speed to at least go to a four speed.  It was on the column, but was converted to floor at one time.  
    I added multi point EFI to my camper and it drives beautifully, super smooth.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Got the other shade sail installed today. 16' x 12' by myself. @fishlessman I feel some of your pain. Dang, getting old is not for the weak. At least I get to enjoy the 94 degree water in the spa and the 78 degree air temperature. Pictures:

Trying not to look at those old sections of fencing that need replacing. Got all winter to get that done!

Taken from the top of the walkway between decking sections. That turnbuckle was a PITA to get attached to the eye on the 1/2" threaded rod attached to the 6" x 6" post.

I'm 6'2" tall and the lowest part of the sail is 6'8" from the deck so I have room to walk under with no problems. If the sail stretches, I still have room to tighten on the turnbuckles. Thanks for looking. Time for me to get in that warm water.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.