Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Dyal_SC - great magazine quality photo right there.  Eliminate all the green accessories and I would kill it.  Most eggcellent job on the tuna.  
    Why would you eliminate the Egg?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    I was only able to find Grade 2 carriage bolts for my XL band. The stock bolts are Grade 5. Is this going to be an issue until I can locate some 5s? I am wondering about thermal expansion yada yada yada. 
    I would not chance it.  I forgot to buy grade 8 for a project I was working on.  The first time I used the standard strength bolts, they bent and were unusable.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,220
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I was only able to find Grade 2 carriage bolts for my XL band. The stock bolts are Grade 5. Is this going to be an issue until I can locate some 5s? I am wondering about thermal expansion yada yada yada. 
    I would not chance it.  I forgot to buy grade 8 for a project I was working on.  The first time I used the standard strength bolts, they bent and were unusable.  
    Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    So who's living large Pete?  Very nice!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Rain N stainin' some new $50 kicks I found at Ross', eggin' burgs for the boys.

1/3 lb ground chuck, toasted Aldi brioche, mayo, mustard, ketchup, homegrown mater, red ernyin.  The boys actually enjoyed the red ernyin, and ate 2 burgers each.  "This is the best cheeseburger I have ever had Dad."
    Love how that soft yet crunchy Aldi brioche smashes down for a big bite.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Agreed. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Grade 8 are the wrong grade for eggs. They are supposed to be grade five and are in fact designed to bend as tightened. If you have grade 8, I would replace them with grade 5. Good luck. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    kl8ton said:
    Agreed. 
    Fastenal doesn't even have them  :|

• pgprescott
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    kl8ton said:
    Agreed. 

I call it fasten none. They can get anything in a couple days but hardly carry crap anymore. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Grade 8 are the wrong grade for eggs. They are supposed to be grade five and are in fact designed to bend as tightened. If you have grade 8, I would replace them with grade 5. Good luck. 
    I don't want to confuse anyone.  I was not working on an egg when needing grade 8 hardware.  I was merely giving an example of things going wrong if the proper grade of hardware is not employed.  Thanks @pgprescott

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    kl8ton said:
    Agreed. 

Not sure if menards is nationwide or not but they have grade 5 and 8 as well as an excellent selection of stainless.  It puts home depot and lowes to shame
    Grand Rapids MI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Jeremiah said:
    kl8ton said:
    Agreed. 

Not sure if menards is nationwide or not but they have grade 5 and 8 as well as an excellent selection of stainless.  It puts home depot and lowes to shame
    Not
  • pgprescott
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    I don't want to confuse anyone.  I was not working on an egg when needing grade 8 hardware.  I was merely giving an example of things going wrong if the proper grade of hardware is not employed.  Thanks @pgprescott

Got ya. Agreed. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Jeremiah said:
    kl8ton said:
    Agreed. 

Not
    Too bad. 

Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - I may be well into LEO but I did not see an Egg in the pic and I would not consider a BGE an accessory if I had.  But I may be missing something here...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Delta Rae at the Grey Eagle

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well, I spun up our beta online labs on Kubernetes integration with our data center switching platform and couldn't login to the K8S master node, so...

Been drinking too long to figure this out...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    DMW said:
    Well, I spun up our beta online labs on Kubernetes integration with our data center switching platform and couldn't login to the K8S master node, so...

Been drinking too long to figure this out...
    I couldn't comprehend that sober. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Not sure if any of this interests you, but this is going on tomorrow in Asheville. It's a really good time.

https://www.brewgrassfestival.com/

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @DoubleEgger isnt that something Roswell hardware could get you??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Watching white fang with the kids. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,502
    Options
    This is actually a very good question.  The original bolts/instructions with our Eggs require torquing until the bolt head/nut/straps all "bend" into coordination, which goes against my Mechanical Engineering and shadetree mechanic degrees simultaneously.  Granted, I haven't had an issue with either of my Eggs in 5 years now, but it still doesn't leave me "comfortable".  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Botch said:
    This is actually a very good question.  The original bolts/instructions with our Eggs require torquing until the bolt head/nut/straps all "bend" into coordination, which goes against my Mechanical Engineering and shadetree mechanic degrees simultaneously.  Granted, I haven't had an issue with either of my Eggs in 5 years now, but it still doesn't leave me "comfortable".  
    Those bolts?  They're fine, just let'um ride!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @DoubleEgger isnt that something Roswell hardware could get you??
    I'm going to call and ask in the morning. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Nice install of some equipment I support in a wastewater facility in Canada.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Your Grade five is our 8.8. Anything lower here is effectively ungraded, otherwise known as monkey metal.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Spending the weekend helping/hanging/watching a competition BBQ team compete. Got a few hours of sleep in a cot under an oak tree. Got up at 5 AM to start the fire and put 8 layers of rub on 2 briskets.  They are effectively center cut so that the right slices can be turned in. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    @Foghorn -  sounds like a great endeavor.  Post oak for the fire?? Curious as to turn in time with a 5 AM fire start.  
    Feel free to share any tricks of the trade you acquire (and they will let you release).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Foghorn -  sounds like a great endeavor.  Post oak for the fire?? Curious as to turn in time with a 5 AM fire start.  
    Feel free to share any tricks of the trade you acquire (and they will let you release).  

@lousubcap, you need to pay better attention.  I already told you there are 8 layers of rub in a very specific order.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX