Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @YukonRon No comment on the land but the wine region of France has quite a hammer, I'm sure.  Good for you to be planning ahead and setting the course for the next chapter.  However this plays out, always remember the late great Leroy "Satchel" Paige, "Don't look back, somethin' might be gainin' on ya!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    A large assortment of red wine with my buddy @YukonRon. Cheers my friend. 

To whichever of you is the owner of the residence I love all the woodwork 
    It is our home, we are in the process of the final fix, getting her ready to sell. Phase two of finding the right place for us to go, has been completed. Two areas we are considering, Rhône Valley, and Western CO. (Durango and Grand Junction area). We will be touring Western Wyoming next, and then Southwestern Montana.

Right now, Grand Junction, is in the lead. Everybody is certainly familiar with the gorgeous mountain land Colorado provides, but few realize the canyon lands bring a tremendous amount to the table as well. We backpacked about 1000 acres of BLM property, while there, amazing views, unbelievable artifacts, cliffs, valleys, caves, monuments, mountains, just perfect for My Beautiful Wife and I.

If we had to choose it would be the Western Slopes, by far.
    This is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. The exposed walls are Precambrian, 2000 feet below is the Gunnison, on the 5th steepest run on the planet, for E2E elevation loss. Lots of class 4s and 5s for white water. Most of the walls in this canyon see less than 1 hour/day of sunlight. We were lucky to be there at the right time to catch the painted walls.

Fruta Smoking wood is in the area, and it has been a favorite source for purchasing the best smoking wood I have used. So that is another plus.

If I was the one spending your money and time, my choice would be southwestern Montana. I have been to each of the areas you mentioned (exeption: the portion of France) and Montana is by far my favorite. I grew up in Idaho and would love to move to the mountains again.
    I have no problem with that, and My preference is in or around Red Lodge, kinda the Estes Park type town to the Rockies, except it is for Yellowstone.

I had spent an appreciable portion of time there on projects for work. Loved it, winter spring summer and fall. However, My Beautiful Wife, is not an eager participant of longer winters. 

Idaho is also a possibility, as we have looked for property there. It is as beautiful as any place I have been on earth. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    lousubcap said:
    @SciAggie- Way to enjoy a peaceful closure to the day. Trust it is measuring up.
    The pic must be the opposite side of your incredible outdoor kitchen which until now was classified.   B)
    Curious minds (at least me) want to know what's in the glass besides ice.
    Stay healthy and safe-
    Glad you made it to the Zoom last Friday and hope you can back there soon.  The bar seating is unlimited.  We need to press the envelope!
    Willet Pot Still Reserve
    https://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/the-whiskeys/willett-pot-still-reserve/

This and Basil Hayden are my favorites (at the moment)
    That’s a good pour. If you can find Noah’s Mill give that a shot too. Same distillery. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon No comment on the land but the wine region of France has quite a hammer, I'm sure.  Good for you to be planning ahead and setting the course for the next chapter.  However this plays out, always remember the late great Leroy "Satchel" Paige, "Don't look back, somethin' might be gainin' on ya!"
    I totally understand, we both have sacrificed a lot to get to this point, and the next chapter, for sure, is going to be a blast. We are planning to buy a place, in a very cool spot, where our friends would like to visit, or stop by, while in Yellowstone, the Rockies, Glacier, monuments and canyons, The Grand Canyon, Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa, and the PNW.

France is still a serious consideration, due to family there in Brittany. All would be welcome there too.

Our plan is to buy a multi bedroom house on some land where if you are pulling an RV, we got a place you can put it while visiting wherever we end up in the USA.

I will be taking the eggs, so feasts will still be had and shared. Everyone here will be welcome to our home.

Looking forward to see you out there.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Braves put the first ball in the cheep seats two pitches in. Buehler,  Buehler.....
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:
    Phase two of finding the right place for us to go, has been completed. Two areas we are considering, Rhône Valley, and Western CO. (Durango and Grand Junction area). We will be touring Western Wyoming next, and then Southwestern Montana.

This is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. 
    Some beautiful areas, Ron; you're going to be happy.  I used to ski Durango a bit, there was a wonderful hotel restaurant that had a menu full of North American game (deer, elk, etc) but their deep-fried spinach, sprinkled with Parmesan & balsamic, stunned us every time.  
    And I am unfamiliar with the Black Canyon, added to my bucket list.   :)
    I have snowboarded and Skied just about every ski town in CO until I got injured. Looking forward to at least get out and try again. It has been a while, but you only live once....(famous last words, along the lines of “hold my beer.”)

We stayed a couple of days at a B&B in Durango, and honestly, most of the areas in the US 550 corridor are possibilities. Another plus, is Southwest Airlines have added Morrisey as a stop. Cheap fares to get you there.

Just a few hours away, we might be able to hook up someday, somehow.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    YukonRon said:

It is our home, we are in the process of the final fix, getting her ready to sell. Phase two of finding the right place for us to go, has been completed. Two areas we are considering, Rhône Valley, and Western CO. (Durango and Grand Junction area). We will be touring Western Wyoming next, and then Southwestern Montana.

Right now, Grand Junction, is in the lead. Everybody is certainly familiar with the gorgeous mountain land Colorado provides, but few realize the canyon lands bring a tremendous amount to the table as well. We backpacked about 1000 acres of BLM property, while there, amazing views, unbelievable artifacts, cliffs, valleys, caves, monuments, mountains, just perfect for My Beautiful Wife and I.

This is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. The exposed walls are Precambrian, 2000 feet below is the Gunnison, on the 5th steepest run on the planet, for E2E elevation loss. Lots of class 4s and 5s for white water. Most of the walls in this canyon see less than 1 hour/day of sunlight. We were lucky to be there at the right time to catch the painted walls.

Fruta Smoking wood is in the area, and it has been a favorite source for purchasing the best smoking wood I have used. So that is another plus.

If I was the one spending your money and time, my choice would be southwestern Montana. I have been to each of the areas you mentioned (exeption: the portion of France) and Montana is by far my favorite. I grew up in Idaho and would love to move to the mountains again.
    Coeur de'Alene is on my list.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Good to see two very fine gents of this forum struttin' their stuff.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @SciAggie:
    1. Daaangg!! I have garden envy. I've been the speedbreaker in caliqueen's garden plans this year, but hoping to kick it into top gear next year.

2. Daaangg!! I have curing/fermenting chamber envy =) Can't wait to see it locked and loaded. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    poster said:
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho, we have a lot of favorite spots up there, but the OMC and Bent Paddle is a pretty good combo. Northern Waters Smokehaus is the one place we never miss, but curious how they are handling things with social distancing there.
    Thanks for the tip on Northern Waters Smokehaus. My mom and her friends are heading up to the north shore next weekend. I'm going to pass this along to her.
    @WeberWho Tell her to get the cajun finn. Best sandwich in Duluth. I usually travel down there twice a year, but not this year. Was there in march when covid started and had to get home fast before the mandated quarantines took effect, weird times for sure
    I will enthusiastically second the Cajun Finn! Having said that, between my wife and I, we have never tried a sandwich there that we would not order again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Watching a beat down in the dome. 

Didn’t expect this
    Greensboro, NC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:

Good to see two very fine gents of this forum struttin' their stuff.
    I had to bring my “A” game. I was standing next to Robin.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    marinated in Clorox  =) jk  crazy big lobster tails look killer!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    marinated in Clorox  =) jk  crazy big lobster tails look killer!
    Mock me if you want, these lobsters ARE COVID FREE!
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Didn’t expect this
    Jesus! OT here we go
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Wolfpack said:

Didn’t expect this
    Jesus! OT here we go
    We....won!
    Options
    @nolaegghead My apology if I came across as mocking, I was joking with admiration how great your lobster meal look.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @nolaegghead My apology if I came across as mocking, I was joking with admiration how great your lobster meal look.

Honestly, how could I possibly be insulted? ;)
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Wolfpack said:

Didn’t expect this
    Jesus! OT here we go
    We....won!
    Told you so....@9:29 pm to be exact.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Bravos finish them in the ninth. Tomahawk choppin!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Bravos finish them in the ninth. Tomahawk choppin!
    AWESOME!
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Apologizing to @nolaegghead is not allowed!!
    Yup no apologizing to him, I was apologising though  ;)
    canuckland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Great area of the country, we were there for a few nights in the summer, explored the canyon a bit and camped on the Blue Mesa Reservoir.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Amazon prime day and out of the hundreds of deals, I buy a bag of weed & feed for the yard to save $25...

LBGE
    AL