Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    It's move in week here at IU. The better part of the 48k students are moving back this week. The town is hell. New students and their parents trying to navigate the streets.
    I had to step over my dog this morning before coming down the steps to work in my home office. It was a b!tch.
    Considering your dog’s reputation with cats and the neighborhood pig that whipped your ass, you work in a high crime area.  ;)
    The one with the reputation was put down about 4-5 months ago. She is no longer a threat to the neighbors. My older pup.....has no use in expending energy in chasing a cat.....or squirrel anymore. That said, Walter the pig is still going strong and getting as fat as a .......well a pig. The hood is in recovery mode.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Agreed @thetrim. I’m seriously contemplating going up to the local biscuit joint and paying those ladies a couple hundred bucks to show me how it’s done. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Still trying to figure out paint. We finally found a dark gray color we like.

Unfortunately it changes to this in the direct sunlight.

I don't get it. It was just cheap $8 sample paint to figure out a color. I went and bought $25/quart paint what we would use on the house to see if it changes in the sunlight this evening. Frustrating. I have a feeling a better paint isn't going to change anything. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    How many coats is that @WeberWho
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Perhaps @Cashfan can lend some advice 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    How many coats is that @WeberWho
    @DoubleEgger

It's has two solid coats. The paint looks like the color out of the can for 80% of the day like it should. When the sun sets and hits it at certain angle it looks like crap. It almost has a rustic look to it. I don't know if it's the cheap paint or just how the paint looks at that angle. I don't think anyone would like that look at anytime of the day.

I went out this morning and painted a section with quality paint to see what it will look like this evening. I don't know if it's going to make a difference. I really hope it does but I'm not very confident. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Quality paint makes all the difference 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice @gonepostal looks fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I'm really hoping so. I have a feeling it's the satin in the paint and the textured exterior causing the change with the sun. I hope it's only a paint issue. Fingers crossed. 

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'm really hoping so. I have a feeling it's the satin in the paint and the textured exterior causing the change with the sun. I hope it's only a paint issue. Fingers crossed. 
    Put a primer coat as well 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @YEMTrey I hope you brought at least $14.50 so you can drink a beer
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Put a primer coat as well 
    Most definitely. The whole house was primed, brushed, and rolled. I finished power washing earlier this week. My plan once finding paint is spraying, back brushing, and spraying final coat. Except this whole paint ordeal has me caught up on absolutely perfect calm weather. 

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @WeberWho we had a similar issue at 1st with the white and gray on our house but after the whole thing is done it looks great. We used Sherwin Willams on our house. In the full sun the gray looks very gray but in the evening sun it almost has shades of green or khaki. The White is paper white but in the evening sun it looks almost crème. We don’t care about what it looks like for 2 hours at the end of each day. So we went with it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 I'd have no problem if the whole color changed tints evenly throughout the day. Unfortunately it changes colors unevenly. Plus we have a walking path that goes through the backyard. So not only our eyes see the crappy paint but a few hundred other people as well. The busiest time on the path is when the house looks like crap in the sun. 

I went back into Sherwin Williams this afternoon and they think it's the paint as well. The lady mentioned that the cheap paint is similar to "craft paint". I'm still not convinced though it will be much different when the sun sets. Than she said it must be my prep job. (It's probably better prepped than 95% of houses that are being painted today) So who knows. Hopefully I'm proven wrong this evening. 

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @WeberWho  said:
    Still trying to figure out paint. We finally found a dark gray color we like.

Unfortunately it changes to this in the direct sunlight.

I don't get it. It was just cheap $8 sample paint to figure out a color. I went and bought $25/quart paint what we would use on the house to see if it changes in the sunlight this evening. Frustrating. I have a feeling a better paint isn't going to change anything. 
    That's what you get for going to SW - twice the price for less quality. Are you painting Hardy board - that looks like a semi-solid stain and not paint

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic

It's called LP lap siding. Only reason why I'm going with Sherwin Williams is that I'm getting 40-50% off with my friends discount. I'm hoping their Resilience paint holds up for some time. 

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    If it’s some kind of wood it could be the moisture wicking out from the pressure washing I am sure you already thought of that
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Nice! Got the whole place to yourself.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    That's what you get for going to SW - twice the price for less quality. Are you painting Hardy board - that looks like a semi-solid stain and not paint
    What in your opinion is a quality paint out of curiosity? I was always under the impression SW was one of the best. Its certainly better than anything I've ever bought at Lowes or Home Depot.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    Options
    If it’s some kind of wood it could be the moisture wicking out from the pressure washing I am sure you already thought of that
    I should be good as it went days of drying before seeing any test paint on it. I'd be a little more cautious if it was real wood. My prep is probably considered overboard. Trying to do everything correct the first time on it and do it right. Thanks for the suggestion though. I didn't want to start too early or too late for applying paint.

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    edited August 2019
    Options
    talking to roofers, why do i have the feeling that this will take longer than buying a rover. well its begun

whats everyones opinion on aluminum locking shingles verse standing seam. do the shingles appear to be tacky looking. the regal brown looks like the best match to the house

https://youtu.be/3qKxLO2Zx6E

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    What in your opinion is a quality paint out of curiosity? I was always under the impression SW was one of the best. Its certainly better than anything I've ever bought at Lowes or Home Depot.
    I work for a competitor of SW based and mfg in Iowa and @weberwho is a friend so I was busting his chops. SW like all paint companies has many different quality levels of paint. SW actually makes a bunch of paint sold at Lowe's (private label). Those color sample cans are very very inexpensive and just gives you an approximate color. It may not even be an exterior grade paint. Hopefully V has better luck with the actual paint. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What’s wrong with shingles or corrugated steel? Those two options they provided sound like a major up sale @fishlessman. I think I remember you mentioning water buckets too so don’t let them act surprised and burn your ass on sheeting too.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I work for a competitor of SW based and mfg in Iowa and @weberwho is a friend so I was busting his chops. SW like all paint companies has many different quality levels of paint. SW actually makes a bunch of paint sold at Lowe's (private label). Those color sample cans are very very inexpensive and just gives you an approximate color. It may not even be an exterior grade paint. Hopefully V has better luck with the actual paint. 

ahh I was just curious because we are thinking about painting our interior and was wondering if there was a better alternative.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 if you get a paint sale flier or coupon from ace or depot etc and take it to sw they will be happy to price match 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Here's Consumer Reports ranking of exterior paints:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    We used Sherwin William on ours too and are happy w it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95