Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I’ve never seen a grocery store offer reusable bags that were marked for what goes in them. Red for meats, poultry, etc, green for boxed/canned items etc. Reusable bags are gross in my opinion unless you’re washing the bags after every single use. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Then you’ve got extra water needed for the wash. Then it’ll be there’s too much detergent flowing into the oceans. The electrical consumption.... it’s always something. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I’ve never seen a grocery store offer reusable bags that were marked for what goes in them. Red for meats, poultry, etc, green for boxed/canned items etc. Reusable bags are gross in my opinion unless you’re washing the bags after every single use. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Then you’ve got extra water needed for the wash. Then it’ll be there’s too much detergent flowing into the oceans. The electrical consumption.... it’s always something. 
    Yep this was pretty much where I was headed. That was my 1st thought was how many people are gonna get sick because they put that bloody steak in the bag it leaks everywhere then the idiot just folds it until next week, and next week puts their fresh lettuce in that bag and barely washes it off to eat it. Given the stupidity of a large portion of this country. You can bet the farm that hundreds will end up getting sick or dying from something this simple.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Yep this was pretty much where I was headed. That was my 1st thought was how many people are gonna get sick because they put that bloody steak in the bag it leaks everywhere then the idiot just folds it until next week, and next week puts their fresh lettuce in that bag and barely washes it off to eat it. Given the stupidity of a large portion of this country. You can bet the farm that hundreds will end up getting sick or dying from something this simple.
    Uh. No blood in steak. Just sayin. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Pondering how many stupid reuseable plastic bags I will have to start bringing to Kroger now that they decided they are going to stop providing plastic bags. Or better yet, stop going to Kroger.
    The disposable ones, billions of which end up in landfill? Probably a good job they are stopping giving them away.
    ....and they started making plastic bags to save the trees ;)
    Really? Here's me thinking it was just cheaper, like all the other essential plastic packaging that we managed to do without in the past.
  • Eoin
    Options
    We have used reuseable bags for over 10 years, only wash them if they really look horrible and have not died yet.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Pondering how many stupid reuseable plastic bags I will have to start bringing to Kroger now that they decided they are going to stop providing plastic bags. Or better yet, stop going to Kroger.
    The disposable ones, billions of which end up in landfill? Probably a good job they are stopping giving them away.
    Really? Here's me thinking it was just cheaper, like all the other essential plastic packaging that we managed to do without in the past.
    Fish is correct. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Don't worry, they'll continue to offer paper bags if you don't want to take your own bags.

Neither Aldi or Lidl provide free bags. Neither do Costco, BJ's, Sam's.

I've been using reusable nylon bags for more than a decade. Can't say I've really missed free grocery store bags.

I'm mainly just annoyed by it. That has been one of a few reasons I have avoided shopping at Aldi. I recycle all of my plastic bags every month. Im curious how using paper bags is any better for the environment? Sure I guess maybe a lot of the paper used is recycled paper.
    You might do the right thing, but most people don't, they just go in the bin or end up as litter. In the UK a 5 pence compulsory plastic bag charge was introduced in 2015 for large retailers. The number of bags sold has fallen by 85%, which is 6 billion fewer bags every year. They still litter the countryside because a lot of people are careless self-interested scumbags who can't be bothered to take their own rubbish home with them, but 6 billion fewer a year is a big number just for the UK.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Fish is correct. 
    I always thought the US was a good example using paper bags for groceries, it was never a thing here. Not sure how saving the trees works, the paper industry here is sustainable, is it not in the US?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

@nolaegghead nice. That’s pretty much what my kitchen looked like all the time before I got married. I think my wife had to put a sign that said “NO GUNS ON KITCHEN TABLE!”
    @Killit_and_Grillit - happens that SWMBO is in DC all week ;)
    Options
    My wife has a bunch of the reusable cloth bags. Throws them in the washer once in a while. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We are a fairly resilient bunch so I'm sure we'll all adjust to the plastic bag ban.  

Washing reusable grocery bags????  Is that a thing people really do?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Fish is correct. 
    Fish was just kidding. I've spent much time trying to study/decipher/learn Fish's sometimes seemingly random usage of emoticons and his use of the "winky"  there indicates he was just trolling.

Plastic bags came into widespread usage because they were cheaper, had handles which made them easier to carry, and didn't fall apart if they got soggy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No more plastic bags?!  END OF DAYS!!!

What would the Romans have done if this would have happened to them?  Probably starved.
    Options
    No more plastic bags?!  END OF DAYS!!!

What would the Romans have done if this would have happened to them?  Probably starved.
    Gibbons classic volumes on the decline of the Roman Empire did state that plastic bag bans played a key role in its demise.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Eoin said:
    We have used reuseable bags for over 10 years, only wash them if they really look horrible and have not died yet.
    I’ve been hospitalized for salmonella before so I’m a little OCD about food safety. A dude who ate at the same place died.  Salmonella is worse than kidney stones to put it into perspective. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Meat section at kroger has a roll of small plastic bags like produce department.  Any meat not frozen or factory sealed in heavy plastic (tube of sausage or ground beef) goes into a small plastic and then into recyclable bag or paper bag.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Meat section at kroger has a roll of small plastic bags like produce department.  Any meat not frozen or factory sealed in heavy plastic (tube of sausage or ground beef) goes into a small plastic and then into recyclable bag or paper bag.  
    We're working on banning those bags too!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    "I'll give you my plastic bags when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!!"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Fish is correct. 
    I always thought the US was a good example using paper bags for groceries, it was never a thing here. Not sure how saving the trees works, the paper industry here is sustainable, is it not in the US?
    the paper industry in the us is pretty much dead, logging towns are out of work, papermills are closing everywhere etc. too much pollution, too much energy use etc.  the paper industry is down in south america now.  the bigstores pushed plastic to save the environment,  and because it was cheaper for them, mostly it was because it was cheaper but saving trees sounds better.

heavyg,  someday you will figure me out =) maybe not

someday i will read something that says plastic is bad for the soil,  so far its only good for potting soil and growing veggies and flowers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    JethroVA said:
    "I'll give you my plastic bags when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!!"
    And they'll ALL be in your hands at the same time because no one wants to make a second trip!   =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Eating a breakfast sandwich for lunch.  Finally got around to making some sous vide egg bites.

Garlic and onion sous vide egg bites, with crispy smoked black tea cured beef naval pastrami and white cheddar on freshly baked ancient grain sourdough:

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    was filling out some paperwork for a gun trade that involved trading back a 2-stroke scooter 3 years later to a friend who wanted it back (good thing I never transferred the title)...and my buddy Eddie the chef came by with his gf.  She saw the gun I was getting the serial number off and she was fascinated.  Wanted to see some more, so I pulled some out.  Later they left and this was the terrorist-looking scene in my dining room afterwards.

Sadly, that's not even close to all of them.  Hope my mom doesn't see this pic.
    lol, With the exception of two in different brands. I have a one of each one of those. Nice  
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

We may share a border with Kalifornia, but I'm guessing our state will be one of the last to adopt no plastic bags.

I'm ready though.  No washing old bags, no more touching the disgusting carts.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Heading home. Been a while, hoping the dog will not bite me when I get home.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Jump around!
    Jump up, jump up and get down!

how do i get that outa my head....thanks john

fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    Options
    So my 15 year old son just sent me this picture. I say "where are you" - his reply "at Barnes & Noble needed a book for school and my teacher says this is a good one". I love my wife but sometimes she's clueless. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

googled blotter acid.....its making a comeback baby =)
    fukahwee maine

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Raoul Duke: [narrating] We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:

Raoul Duke: I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.

Raoul Duke: [narrating] Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming:

Raoul Duke: Holy Jesus. What are these **** animals?

[swatting the air]

Raoul Duke: Huh! Huh! Huh! **** pigs.

Dr. Gonzo: Did you say something?

Raoul Duke: Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to drive.

Raoul Duke: [narrating] No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GATraveller
    Options
    It's a great book and movie......don't get me wrong......but teachers recommending it for 9th graders?  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA