Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham!

Options
lewisj82
lewisj82 Posts: 184
edited January 2015 in Pork
So, I'm lucky enough to have a brother in law that's incredibly country and also incredibly generous. His mother lives on a ranch, and he bought a hog from her and had it slaughtered. He had no idea what to do with a 24lb fresh ham that he got, so he brought it to my house. Finally had a good weekend to cook it so here it is. I rarely ever post on here but thought you guys should see this thing. 

Took out to thaw last Saturday, made the brine Tuesday night, and then put this boulder of meat into the brine Wednesday after work. Cooked this Saturday and it spent about five and a half hours on the egg, indirect at 350*, oak charcoal with a few pecan chunks. Let it sit in there, didn't open the lid for about four hours and then started to check temp. When it hit 140, threw my first round of glaze on it, then another at about 145, pulled it right after it hit 150 and it hit probably 155 or so after it sat. 

Lessons learned on this, it probably needed another 24hr in the brine and I'd go a little slower, probably 300 on the next one. Did I say brother in law was generous? After dinner Saturday, he said he's bringing me the other ham he got. This other one is 30lbs! Either he's generous or lazy and just making me do all of the work. 

Here is where I got my recipe and method for doing this. The only thing I really changed was on the brine, I didn't use bay leaf, because I don't like bay leaf. I added about 1/4 cup of peppercorns though. 

The picture with the knife on the counter... here's how big that ham was, that knife is 11" from tip to end of the handle. There is a pre glaze shot on the egg, and then the finished one after it sat. Sorry for the blurry shot at the end. I'd had a few by the time I was done... 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking hunk of swine!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Very nice. On my to do list as soon as I find a second fridge to do all my curing in. Wife's getting tired of me taking her real estate.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Very nice. On my to do list as soon as I find a second fridge to do all my curing in. Wife's getting tired of me taking her real estate.

+1. I have bookmarked this one. I have been wanting to this since I got the XL. Looks piglicious, I can't believe more haven't commented.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.