Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with getting Pizzas onto Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I think some people forget that not all pizza dough is the same.  Some are "wet" and others are "dry".  The consistency of the dough makes a huge difference on how to Launch it onto the stone.  

In other words, there is not one foolproof way.  I use flour on a wooden peel, and have a 85% success rate.  I use a very wet dough, stretch the dough, place it on a wooden peel and RACE to build the pizza.  I have discovered that using a sauce that is cold makes it much easier than using sauce that is still warm.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just dust off the stone off between pies. Welder's gloves, a silicone basting brush, even a rag if you're careful not to light it.  :D If you think the stone is getting too hot after 3 pies, dampen the rag and wipe it down with that.

You're not putting corn meal on the stone directly are you? It goes on the peel, no need for any on the stone itself (other than what comes off the peel and pizza). Try some semolina. Literally, just a pinch is all that's needed on the peel. Doesn't seem to burn as easily.

Some like parchment. I don't care for the crust when using it, though it's been a very long time since I tried it. Maybe I would have better luck if I tried it again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

I think some people forget that not all pizza dough is the same.  Some are "wet" and others are "dry".  The consistency of the dough makes a huge difference on how to Launch it onto the stone.  

In other words, there is not one foolproof way.  I use flour on a wooden peel, and have a 85% success rate.  I use a very wet dough, stretch the dough, place it on a wooden peel and RACE to build the pizza.  I have discovered that using a sauce that is cold makes it much easier than using sauce that is still warm.

I don't what my success rate was without parchment paper, but it's been 100% with it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    stemc33 said:

I don't what my success rate was without parchment paper, but it's been 100% with it.
    I am gonna try the parchment paper this weekend, i've never tried it, but if it makes my life easier, I am all about it.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    GASGUY said:

How does everyone do it? I think I saw were people use parchment paper underneath dough and move direct to Egg.

Pick up a wooden peel and learn how to use it & you'll never look back to any alternative methods
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My wettest pizza doughs are at about 67% hydration. I haven't lost one yet. Always, just a pinch of semolina on the peel, shake it a bit after every topping addition and one more time just before launch just to be sure. I agree that a cold or room temp sauce is easier than one still warm from cooking.

This is how much semolina I use...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    im with ya...thanks Q. Ill stick to my wooden peel.  I do have an issue of after my 3rd pizza the crust are just burnt black...I think that its just the Corn Starch building up on the stone.... 
    Nope, it's the stone overheating. Do you an infrared gun style thermo? That helps to know the temp of the stone. Not much you can do when it gets overheated. You can wipe it down with a damp rag, but be careful when you do that.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    im with ya...thanks Q. Ill stick to my wooden peel.  I do have an issue of after my 3rd pizza the crust are just burnt black...I think that its just the Corn Starch building up on the stone.... 

sounds more like the stone was not heated all the way for the 1st pizza.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Here's my set up store-bought 12 inch pizza dough rolled out to about 15 inches (we like thin crust) cooked on a 16 inch pizza screen, I cook at 550/600 indirect with the platesetter in legs up grate than pizza que from Williams and Sonoma which is about 2 inches above the felt for 6 to 8 minutes then I remove from the screen and continue turning until it is done and the bottom and top look like a loaf of bread. The pizza screen allows me to build the pizza anytime I want and then just walk it out and set it directly on top of my pizza stone I don't have to worry about sliding it off and sliding the toppings off as well. Just my two cents but it works well for me.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @TheShaytoon (I have discovered that using a sauce that is cold makes it much easier than using sauce that is still warm.)

I need to try cold sauce, I have also raced after putting sauce on before it starts to stick.

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,976
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I use paper or my super peel. I've done the cornmeal and semolina thing too. All work well with a little practice. The super peel is pretty dang cool but not necessary. You can pick up a penny off your countertop with it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    the Super Peel is a quality piece of equiptment that I will have for the rest of my life. The way I see it I bought the Egg, then I needed a table and he also sold me a BGE cookbook and a Looftlighter, a platesetter and a cover. Next I addded a Stoker, an adjustable rig, a pizza stone and a spider. I am always shopping for the next toy to add to my BBQ addiction. Last week I was at Canadian Tire and they had Saskatchewan Roughriders branding irons for your steak. Needed that. Whats next who knows? I do know every time I use the Super Peel it amazes me how good it works and how simple it is. The guy that invented it knew what he was doing. The two biggest wastes of money so far. The Looftlighter and the cookbook I have hardly ever used either. Some swear by the looftlighter but I think it is one of the last things anyone should buy. A piece of paper towel and an ounce on Canola oil does as good of a job. There are my two cents which the way our dollar is right now is not worth too much LOL!!!
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Sorry! I can't help you buddy. My expertise is in getting the pizza off the plate and into my mouth ;) 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited December 2014
    Options

While corn starch will burn at high temps, it will not be the reason you're burning the crust. It's a good indication that your stone is too hot.

Not much corn meal will make it onto the stone when you slide the pizza off the peel. As mentioned, it doesn't take much effort to clean the stone. The blackened corn meal is easily removed; not good eats.

When placing the stretched out dough on the peel, its better to have it very close to the end of the peel. One small, quick shrug aimed at the stone and the pizza will side off and a small part of it will land on the stone. Shake and push the peel a few times and the pizza will still keep it original shape.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I scale all ingredients and scale dough balls. Once you get your recipe where your happy it keeps the overall results consistent.
    Eggactly! But I will add that it's also important to find a certain brand of flour and stick to it. Changing to a different flour will probably not work as intended; results may ok but not ideal for the recipe.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I used parchment paper 2 times. Bought a big peel off amazon for $20 and cornmeal. No looking back. Works great, no issues...not fixing what is right. :P
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
     I too am in the parchment paper camp.  I never do a pizza without it - puts me in total control, and the paper has no negative effect on the bottom crustimageimage
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Whoa! @Cookinbob‌ you've gotta work on your crust. :)) just kidding. Pizza looks great. +1 on the parchment paper.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming