Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allow myself to introduce... myself.

Options
Hi everyone
I am a new (to me) owner of an XL BGE.  Wanted one for years while smoking on a propane smoker.  I have been using this forum to get started and am having a great time as well as some success!  Picked up a large package of chicken legs and have been smoking them with rub to practice temperature regulation.  Will try ribs this weekend.

Bill
XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
bge.JPG 58.9K

Comments

• scruffee81
    Options
    Welcome! Enjoy the Egg! Once you get passed the learning curve off the dampeners its smooth sailing!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome, post some cooks for our enjoyment.
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    Whats left of my second cook.  3 legs with rub one plane - very good.  I am cooking them for 2 hours at 225 to get used to regulating temp for ribs.  I have been able to maintain between 200 and 250 fairly well.  I think i need more charcoal and start with a much hotter file as its taking me 30 minutes to stabilize around 225.  Hard to ruin chicken legs or thighs imho.
    legs.JPG 129.2K
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Welcome - Where in CT?

Garnerville, NY
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Welcome - Where in CT?
    Bethel (Western CT)
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome Mr. W ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,563
    Options
    Welcome, great idea to learn basic temp control manually first.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,458
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  WRT your comment about more charcoal and a much hotter fire to get going with low&slow-within reason you can never load too much lump.  For long duration low&slows you can load to the top of the fire ring. 

Now with speeding along to a low&slow cook temperature-don't get too large a fire initially going or when you throttle down the vents you will be dang near snuffing the fire to stop the temperature rise where you want it.  Many different approaches to establishing a good burning low&slow fire-but once you get the ceramics heated, it take a long time to cool down.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see more food of your Egg.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Nice - welcome to the madness!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• MrWilliams
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  WRT your comment about more charcoal and a much hotter fire to get going with low&slow-within reason you can never load too much lump.  For long duration low&slows you can load to the top of the fire ring. 

Now with speeding along to a low&slow cook temperature-don't get too large a fire initially going or when you throttle down the vents you will be dang near snuffing the fire to stop the temperature rise where you want it.  Many different approaches to establishing a good burning low&slow fire-but once you get the ceramics heated, it take a long time to cool down.  FWIW-

Thanks you Lou
    After i get the fire lit and close the lid how high should the temp go if my target is 225?  Maybe i'm getting the initial fire to hot and it is snuffing to stop the temperature rise as you have explained.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,458
    Options

@MrWilliams-I have a LBGE so not the same as the XL.  That said, I generally get around a softball or grapefruit sized area of fire going (light only in one spot for low&slows) with dome open and lower vent full open.  Once the fire is up to size (may need a larger fire for the XL) then load the platesetter and cooking grid etc, shut the dome and close the lower vent around half open.  Watch the temp and once around 25-50*F short of the target temp, then shutdown on the lower vent to around 1/4" and use the DFMT with petals full open to dial it in.  And don't chase temp.  On a low&slow +/- 15-20*F is close enough.  FWIW-

You may want to check out the search function for methods of lighting the BGE as there are as many options as forum posters, it seems.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@lousubcap yes, but *my* way is the best: mapp torch to light paper towels soaked with lighter fluid, which then starts the coals in my chimney starter.  i then arrange those in an equilateral triangle facing the moon as it rises in the 3rd star of venus...

just kidding of course, @mrwilliams welcome! lots of nice helpful folks here to help get your egg up and running smoothly.  have fun with the ribs, they'll be awesome i'm sure, and remember to post pictures so we can live vicariously!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome have fun 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,038
    Options
    Smart man with keeping the first cook simple and learning how it works. Ask, ask, ask with any little or big questions. Always someone willing to help out
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome! With smoking on your the egg or for that matter any cooking on your new egg it has got to be like a newborn seeing and smelling for the first time in comparison to LP. ENJOY!!! Now let me introduce you to @Mickey‌ King Of Turbo (period). Ribs do em L&S or Turbo. Me I'm a L&S kinda guy.
    Eminem - My Name Is: http://youtu.be/sNPnbI1arSE
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome aboard brother. Glad to have you.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You might turn into fat bastard hanging around here.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome sir, and may I say, great idea teaching yourself temp regulation right off. You will benefit greatly from that. It was one of my issues at first. This forum will walk you through most cooks you can think of. The people are top notch, and fun to interact with. Just ask a question, and you will get answers.
    :-bd :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone.  More legs last night - 225 for 2 hours - still working on temp regulation.  Then I ramped it up to 450 for 10 mins to crisp them up.  A little dry as expected but very good.  I'll say that the egg has well exceeded my expectations.  Very cool device!!!  Thermometer is next.  I'll post the rib pics this weekend.  Thanks again...
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Welcome aboard, the more the merrier.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@MrWilliams-I have a LBGE so not the same as the XL.  That said, I generally get around a softball or grapefruit sized area of fire going (light only in one spot for low&slows) with dome open and lower vent full open.  Once the fire is up to size (may need a larger fire for the XL) then load the platesetter and cooking grid etc, shut the dome and close the lower vent around half open.  Watch the temp and once around 25-50*F short of the target temp, then shutdown on the lower vent to around 1/4" and use the DFMT with petals full open to dial it in.  And don't chase temp.  On a low&slow +/- 15-20*F is close enough.  FWIW-

You may want to check out the search function for methods of lighting the BGE as there are as many options as forum posters, it seems.

this^^^^^^^^^(and welcome aboard).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @MrWilliams...Welcome from the big KY state as well. Lots of great folks here from everywhere on the forum. Enjoy the eggdiction !!

FYI, what my friend lousubcap says for the large applies equally well for the XL. 

For a little variety for chicken legs, try searching "lollipops". The preparation method provides a new twist that the kids (and adults) will love.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!