Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block Seared Scallops

Options

I pick up a Himalayan salt block a week or so ago. I've been itching to use it. According to the directions, you are supposed to warm it gradually. I started warming it in a 200F oven for the first 40 minutes. Then started to slowly increase the temp. 

I heated the XL Egg to 550F direct and place the salt block directly onto the grill grate. After about 20 minutes, I temped the surface of the block and hit  about 576. 

I seasoned the scallops with pepper only (assuming the salt block would add the salt). I added just a little bit of grape seed oil to the salt block to avoid sticking and seared each side of the scallops for approx 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side. 

Next time, I will probably run the temp up a little higher or leave them on a little longer. I was happy with the sear, but would have liked a tad more crust. Either way, these were delicious! 

The salt block added just enough season. It wasn't overpowering, but added a great flavor. I'll be trying other things on it soon. 

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments