Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Chicken, Cast Iron Seared

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - yes, yes, did the deglaze with creme fraiche and veal consomme!!!.
    Options
    :)) serious note that actually sounds damn good man! Next yard bird I do I'm thinking of Spatch in a CI pan just to try it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It was exceptionally good.  It was a big 7.5 pound bird, tender as tender gets in the white and dark meat.  I used the left overs for paella last night, and that came out way better than I thought if would, given the effort I put into it.   And SWMBO loved all of it, that's what counts the mostest.
    Options
    I do a roast chicken in the oven and I lay the spatchcocked chicken over scalloped potatoes - the chicken fat cooks into the sliced potatoes and they are amazing.

Going to have to try that on the BGE.

I roast a chicken on the potatoes, but then fry off some of the chicken fat by pan frying the potatoes in the iron skillet.
    NOLA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ did you deglaze that pan? Oh yeah! Food Network Hotline: http://youtu.be/4wr2Nh8Pf2A
    Was at a pie class last weekend at the American Gothic House in Eldon, IA.  Beth Howard, the instructor, was giving me **** about the size or lack therof of my white rolling pin.  She busted out this huge dark wood behemoth that Larry The Cable Guy used on his visit.  I replied, "I'll take the "Big Jim".  My friend busted up, nobody knew what the hell we were talking about.  That is my personal fave SP episode.  A classic.  We had fun.  "It's all about stiff peaks." 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Wow!! That looks insane. I recently picked up a large cast iron pan and have been wondering what to cook for the maiden voyage. I think I know what I will be cooking in now. Thanks for sharing my friend. Again it looks excellent .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH It's a great technique.  Having only done it once, the jury is out on reproducibility, but I'm sold.  I didn't use a big pan - 8" ID bottom, 10" OD lip, whatever that is, and that held a 7.5 pound bird.  Always liked the smaller birds, but this one was phenomenal.

Also, the fat and juice stays out of the grill in the pan. 

@Focker haha - love that episode.
    Options
    This would be a huge hit in my house 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options

I will have to try this. Lately I have been using a Bundt pan for whole chicken. It allows faster, more even cooking with the center chimney. Captures all the drippings. And I usually fill the pan with root veggies.

Jim

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Now thats funny!!

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    So I wanted to try this tonight but I didn't read the fine print and I have already spatchcocked my chicken, instead of splaying it.  I wonder if this makes a big difference?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @mhenryak - nah, you'll be fine.  Just plop it in the pan after it's hot, try to keep it oriented like a whole chicken - the idea is the dark meat cooks faster because it's touching the CI.
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for responding so quickly.  Do you typically, splay, though?

• nolaegghead
    Options
    You're supposed to in the recipe, splay the legs.  I did.  I think they cooked a lot faster than the breast, but the skin was good.  So I don't think it matters too much. Splay a bit at least.
    Options
    Okay.  Thank you, again.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I think the trick with this method is to get the pan hot and keep the egg temp up around 500F for the duration of the cook.  Move it around, rotate to make the skin brown evenly and pull it out when the coolest part of the breast is 150F.  Take it off and let it rest on a rack in open air for 10-15 minutes to cool the outside down then serve.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Focker said:

@nolaegghead‌ did you deglaze that pan? Oh yeah!
    Food Network Hotline: http://youtu.be/4wr2Nh8Pf2A

Was at a pie class last weekend at the American Gothic House in Eldon, IA.  Beth Howard, the instructor, was giving me **** about the size or lack therof of my white rolling pin.  She busted out this huge dark wood behemoth that Larry The Cable Guy used on his visit.  I replied, "I'll take the "Big Jim".  My friend busted up, nobody knew what the hell we were talking about.  That is my personal fave SP episode.  A classic.  We had fun.  "It's all about stiff peaks." 

Awe yes the Big Jim. But, did it have voice commands?
    =)) Classic.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Cooked another one of these CI pan yard birds.  Incredible.  Was in a hurry so just did it in the oven.  Preheated the CI on the stove before putting in the oven.

This was a nice 3.7 pound organic, cageless, etc chicken.  Crispy skin.  Used a blackened seasoning.  I'm sold.

imageimageimage
    Options
    Pulled when the breast was 150F.  The dark meat was 180F.  This gives you an incredible moist breast.  Let it cool on a rack afterwards.  We overcook our chicken.  Try this, you'll never go back to the pull at 160-170F white meat.  I'm super serial.
    Options
    nola - a few practical questions about doing this on the egg:

1.  Did your cast iron fit with handle?
    2.  Did you do it raised "direct" or normal height?
    3.  Did you let the dome and CI get to 500 and put the chicken on dry?

Thanks!
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    nola - a few practical questions about doing this on the egg:

1.  Did your cast iron fit with handle?
    2.  Did you do it raised "direct" or normal height?
    3.  Did you let the dome and CI get to 500 and put the chicken on dry?

Thanks!
    1. yes
    2. indirect - baked at 500F, better if higher in the dome, but nothing to worry about.
    3. yes
    Options
    I think I'll try this for dinner tonight. Did the onions go in the pan after you pulled the chicken, or were they under the bird the whole time.  Seems like they'd burn if they were there from the beginning. Think I'll try to find enough new potatoes from my garden to put in the pan under the bird.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,562
    Options
    ... you'll never go back to the pull at 160-170F white meat.  I'm super serial.
    makes perfect sense to me, that's close to SV temp. it's on my must-try list!
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I will try this tonight . This looks great !!
    Toronto
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    itsmce said:
    I think I'll try this for dinner tonight. Did the onions go in the pan after you pulled the chicken, or were they under the bird the whole time.  Seems like they'd burn if they were there from the beginning. Think I'll try to find enough new potatoes from my garden to put in the pan under the bird.
    @itsmce The recipe had stuff like ramps and onions in the pan, but my theory is - any veggies will just cools the pan and creates steam, hurting the texture of the skin.  So the pan is completely empty and dry when I start.  After the cook I used the oil/drippings (pretty much just oil, the water cooks off) to saute a few veggies, then made some gravy.

It's a good idea to heat the pan up HOT on the stove before you put in the egg/oven, The hotter the pan the better (within reason).
    Options
    I will try this tonight . This looks great !!
    Do post your results!
    Options
    I will fore sure , I will experiment with what to use as i dont have any ramps or things like that .

I am thinking spinach , garlic rosemary onions and what ever else is in the fridge .....

thanks for posting this it looks awesome
    Toronto
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @pantsypants - ignore veggies - don't put any in the pan.  I consider this a technique for cooking a killer chicken.  While you can use the fat for veggies after the chicken is done, I wouldn't recommend putting them in the pan when you are cooking the chicken.   See above a couple posts.
    Options
    Nice chicken, I have a cast iron and will be trying that. Thanks Nola.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    edited June 2014
    Options

@pantsypants - ignore veggies - don't put any in the pan.  I consider this a technique for cooking a killer chicken.  While you can use the fat for veggies after the chicken is done, I wouldn't recommend putting them in the pan when you are cooking the chicken.   See above a couple posts.
    I litteraly had just run out to grab veggies .

But i think you make sense. I will just focus on the chicken .
    Thanks and I will keep you posted
    Toronto