Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Sad day, bottle kill of a great gift     It was amazing while it lasted though.  

Great rye. This is definitely one that squeezes some bills out my wallet. Gots me a couple. Definitely overpriced but quite good. 
    Absolutely agree.   Thankfully this was a gift from the future SIL—I wouldn’t have paid that price.  Glad the daughter is marrying a good guy with taste and appreciation.  
    Is there anything better than your children doing well. Congrats! 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    shtgunal3 said:
    Scored a bottle of Lagavulin 16 today. Very hard to come by around here. To lazy to take a pic but having a pour of it and a cigar now.
    Hard to beat. Always have an open and reserve on hand. Enjoy!
    My favorite for sure. I actually had an open bottle. The one I picked up today is the reserve. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    shtgunal3 said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    Scored a bottle of Lagavulin 16 today. Very hard to come by around here. To lazy to take a pic but having a pour of it and a cigar now.
    Hard to beat. Always have an open and reserve on hand. Enjoy!
    My favorite for sure. I actually had an open bottle. The one I picked up today is the reserve. 
    If you are a fan of lagavulan then check out ardbeg. They are cheaper and possibly even better. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    And another bottle kill.   At least this one is easy and cheap to replace

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • shtgunal3
    @pgprescott I have tried a few of the Ardbeg offerings. I like them, no doubt, but Lagavulin is the best in my opinion.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    shtgunal3 said:
    @pgprescott I have tried a few of the Ardbeg offerings. I like them, no doubt, but Lagavulin is the best in my opinion.
    I will not argue that. It is one of my top five pours. Savor and enjoy! Life is all about those moments. 
  • shtgunal3
    Lagavulin 8 is also great but even harder to find around here.

• pgprescott
    shtgunal3 said:
    Lagavulin 8 is also great but even harder to find around here.
    Not too difficult around here. The shorter barrel time results in a more aggressive smoke profile. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott

What is your impression John?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @pgprescott - got it and appreciate the nod. I have stepped out to find some and it is available.  That said, you run in a rarified atmosphere.  
    I will pay the over the counter tasting pour price before going all in.  I do not need another bourbon in my quest to simplify my life. B)
    Have a great weekend.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    This one punches way above it’s price point. At $27 a bottle (a bottle is 1 liter not 750) this might be my favorite sub $35/bottle. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    This one punches way above it’s price point. At $27 a bottle (a bottle is 1 liter not 750) this might be my favorite sub $35/bottle. 

Agreed. 
  • pgprescott

Just gave a bottle to my SIL. Told him it’s a buy whenever you see the BIB ( got about 6 bottles). He was unaware of the quality that awaits him. Told him it’s a real gem that those in the know clamor over. Enjoy! 
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252

What is considered a cheap price? And where are you getting it at?
  • pgprescott

I think retail is @$35. I see it occasionally at that price and often in the 40-50 range which is marked up slightly. Unless things have changed recently.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Western Beverage - the liquor stores connected to Costco in Texas (can’t sell liquor inside a Costco in Tx) usually sells handles of Weller for $42-45 when they get them.  Four years ago they had them all the time but they started getting harder to find/lower allocations about 3 years ago.  The asswipes near me would stash it behind the counter and sell to their favorite customers - they’d deny having it if you asked unless you knew to point to behind their counter.  This is not a family owned, small business liquor store, if it was, I would understand the practice.

Anyway, low $40’s for a handle of Weller was alright alright alright.
  • TechsasJim

I think retail is @$35. I see it occasionally at that price and often in the 40-50 range which is marked up slightly. Unless things have changed recently.  
    Yep what pgprescott said!
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Indiana has some screwed up laws on liquor as well like that close to Kentucky and can’t get it.
    will look on my next trip out of state. Thank you
  • pgprescott
    Just an added note, that is for the Weller SR version only. The 12yo is like Bigfoot and priced ridiculously. The 107 is the second most common but will likely be $100 if you see it and the full proof is like Loch Ness monster with a similar $ tag to the 12yo. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    Just an added note, that is for the Weller SR version only. The 12yo is like Bigfoot and priced ridiculously. The 107 is the second most common but will likely be $100 if you see it and the full proof is like Loch Ness monster with a similar $ tag to the 12yo. 
    I got offered 3 Weller 107 for my Weller 12 that’s unopened old school plastic top. Nah, I’m good
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    You guys are definitely challenging my "simplify my life" credo.  I am losing ground here, at last count I have 16 bottles of opened bourbons (all different) and four ryes.  Unless I really increase my uptake ( and I don't need to go down that road) I will be LSD  (Long Since Dead) before I get into serious recycling.   B).  But it is great enjoyment-no worries here!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Mescal Negroni 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TechsasJim
    lousubcap said:
    You guys are definitely challenging my "simplify my life" credo.  I am losing ground here, at last count I have 16 bottles of opened bourbons (all different) and four ryes.  Unless I really increase my uptake ( and I don't need to go down that road) I will be LSD  (Long Since Dead) before I get into serious recycling.   B).  But it is great enjoyment-no worries here!
    Cap I have been on a “no buying” spree until today.   I was like you but then started draining bottles—I have a lot of friends that come by and bring a bottle every so often.   Think I went from 12 to 7 bottles.   

Time to revamp the game…
  • Was at Disney 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed this pour of Stag Jr at the Polite Pig. Pro tip if you have a small group, sit at the bar outside and you can bypass the line, which was about 90 min for a table. Great BBQ and they have the largest selection of bourbon in Florida. 

I also brought back Covid as a souvenir from the trip and spent last week recovering. 

Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • TechsasJim
    Disney strikes the wallet again, $30 for a pour. Albeit it’s a nice pour.  

Sorry to hear about the Covid though.    
  • Disney strikes the wallet again, $30 for a pour. Albeit it’s a nice pour.  

Thanks, I’m through it now and all is well. Ya, it was a bit much but I’ve been searching for 2 yrs to try Stagg Jr and it was our first day of vacay and I was looking to unwind. The Stagg Jr. didn’t disappoint and I’m still going to hunt a bottle if I can find it reasonably priced. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • pgprescott
    Disney strikes the wallet again, $30 for a pour. Albeit it’s a nice pour.  

Thanks, I’m through it now and all is well. Ya, it was a bit much but I’ve been searching for 2 yrs to try Stagg Jr and it was our first day of vacay and I was looking to unwind. The Stagg Jr. didn’t disappoint and I’m still going to hunt a bottle if I can find it reasonably priced. 
    If you find two buy em. I’d be happy to take the second one.