Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @sumoconnell @SmartyPantz

Never had this one but I've heard really good things about the WT Rare Breed.   Any chance you have had that and could comment?
    I’ve had the rare breed and the Russell’s reserve. If memory serves me correctly, I liked the rare breed better than the RR. Both were quite enjoyable for me. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    @pgprescott

Thanks for this!    It has been suggested to me multiple times to try the Rare Breed but I just couldn't pull the trigger (stupid mental stigma with Wild Turkey) but I should break down and give it a shot.   I'll need to do the same with Russell, 'tis the season to do more frivolous things than I normally would.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim

Crud, pic went sideways, but you get it.   Time to make a run for another bottle.
  • pgprescott
    @pgprescott

Thanks for this!    It has been suggested to me multiple times to try the Rare Breed but I just couldn't pull the trigger (stupid mental stigma with Wild Turkey) but I should break down and give it a shot.   I'll need to do the same with Russell, 'tis the season to do more frivolous things than I normally would.
    Yeah, I’m a fan of wild turkey. It’s full line offers a good bang for the buck imo. Good stuff. 
  • pgprescott

Crud, pic went sideways, but you get it.   Time to make a run for another bottle.
    That’s an easy drinker for me. The vanilla flavor really hits me, which I find quite pleasant. Cheers!
  • @pgprescott

While you are at it try some Basil Haydn,pds.
  • pgprescott
    @pgprescott

Another bottle that gets grief from the snob crowd. Real easy drinker IMO. The trend these days with the cool crowd is real high proof stuff. Not always what I reach for depending on my mood and the situation. 
  • TechsasJim
    @ThrasherIII

Yes sir, Basil Hayden is a staple.    Nice price point and easy sipping.   I'm a fan, haven't had in the rotation in several months because it goes too fast :)
  • @pgprescott

Another bottle that gets grief from the snob crowd. Real easy drinker IMO. The trend these days with the cool crowd is real high proof stuff. Not always what I reach for depending on my mood and the situation. 
    Oddly it was voted one of the smoothest in the top 5 for neat. I put a pint in the garage fridge. Where it stays chilled. Nice an easy to follow up with say a Stella. Easy numbing 😎
  • Bodis
    Bodis Posts: 7
    Agree on the Basil Hayden comments! Smooth and and easy. Some days though, a little more horsepower is needed. Gave this a try last night and got very happy!
  • TechsasJim
    @Bodis

Yes sir, that looks quite nice.   Never had their Rye but do enjoy Willett.
  • Woodford or at least what’s left of a glass of Woodford.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• pgprescott
    Gonna do a little circle back on some previous discussions. Using up some mutant rouge ice. Oh the horror! Cheers
  • TechsasJim
    Gonna do a little circle back on some previous discussions. Using up some mutant rouge ice. Oh the horror! Cheers
    Well there they are.   I need to find time to make It to the store...
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Interested to see if your original comments still hold. Im a huge fane of the Russell but never tried the Rare Breed. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    Interested to see if your original comments still hold. Im a huge fane of the Russell but never tried the Rare Breed. 
    Yeah, the Russell’s won the day. My memory was off. Of course that’s just me. The rare breed was a little rougher around the edges compared to the Russell’s. I’m just getting out of the neck of the bottles which could change each of them a bit. Both are good bourbon IMO. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I like Russell’s Rye

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TechsasJim
    @pgprescott

That was my fear with the Rare Breed.  I'll go after the Russel, thanks for the review!
  • pgprescott
    @pgprescott

That was my fear with the Rare Breed.  I'll go after the Russel, thanks for the review!
    Some of these guys I see reviewing whiskey like the more aggressive pours. I dig them all to some degree, but i tend to use the high proof and aggressive stuff for cocktails. There are exceptions of course. The Russell's is great. This is my third bottle i think. Hard to remember, there has been a LOT of home drinking. =)
  • TechsasJim
    @pgprescott

Some of these guys I see reviewing whiskey like the more aggressive pours. I dig them all to some degree, but i tend to use the high proof and aggressive stuff for cocktails. There are exceptions of course. The Russell's is great. This is my third bottle i think. Hard to remember, there has been a LOT of home drinking. =)
    Ha, I get it.   A lot of my friends pride themselves on the high octane business but that's normally not my speed, I like a nice flavored, easier going pour.    But I can do whatever so long as the flavor is there, don't enjoy most things with a bite (same reason I do not enjoy Eagle Rare, bites like a Pit Bull to me).   To each their own though.
  • pgprescott
    Old Forester 1910 tonight. Highly recommend. Sipping whilst watching some Sling Blade, alright den! Cheers!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Old fashioned 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TechsasJim
    @pgprescott

ill see your 1910 and raise your video selection to Band of Brothers (about the 10th time I’ve watched the series).  

Cheers!

• pgprescott
    @pgprescott

ill see your 1910 and raise your video selection to Band of Brothers (about the 10th time I’ve watched the series).  

Cheers!

Great show. I’ve got a couple views under my belt so I’m waaaay behind you. Great pour, Enjoy! 
  • Neighbor showed up with a growler of his home brew:

It’s a hazy IPA - around 6.8.   It’s good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited December 2020
    Baaa! I deleted my image. 

Anyway - looking at trouble. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Still on this bottle. Drank this beer earlier. Equilibrium beers are wrong in a good way.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Bourbon spiked with a cinnamon stick, apple cider, and lemon. Next up Wild Hokie 101, cause it’s game night. Let’s Go Hokies!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009