Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alder Plank - salmon & shrimp

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Yesterday I picked up 2 small pieces of Sockeye Salmon on sale at Whole Foods for $10.  Started soaking an Alder Plank right away, and after work I thawed out some shrimp from our freezer.  

Brushed the salmon with melted butter & honey and topped with a Miso rub.  For the shrimp I let them sit it in a marinade of dark soy, sesame oil, peanut oil, ginger (only Asian flavors I had laying around).  I wrapped the bottom of my Alder Board in foil and let it sit on the egg as it came to temp - around 400F.  Removed the foil, and placed the salmon and shrimp on the board.  About 8 minutes in, I flipped the shrimp and pulled the whole board after about 16 mins.  Served with leftover quinoa/roast-vege salad and some leftover green beans from our Thai carryout over the weekend.  I havent done seafood on the Egg in some time, really hit the spot.  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks tasty. What's in a Miso rub?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow- that is beautiful!   It looks like a very healthy and delicious meal.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    Thank you.  @griffin . . I got the miso rub awhile back from World Market but it was my first time using it.  It was only $2.79 so figured I would try it out.  Not a ton of flavor but thats ok - sockeye is tasty on its own. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    I wish my salmon was plump as that picture!  I cant complain because my fish was marked down big time (previously frozen sockeye - out of season) but the thin part of my fish was overdone.  I saw a technique on Cooks Illustrated when the rolled the thin part up into the thick part and tied it together.  I will try this out next time.
    Columbus, OH

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    miso is fermented soybean.

Looks good, shrimp cook way faster than salmon.
    Yes shrimp cook faster.  I was using Naked Whiz classic "Cedar Plank Shrimp on Alder Plank" as a guideline to make sure shrimp were not overdone.  They came out perfect - maybe they were still a little frozen in the core?  

Anyway - here is Naked Whiz link for times/temp: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/plankedshrimp.htm
    Columbus, OH

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Looks wonderful! And oh those Asian flavors are soooo good. Think that I will have a bowl of Miso soup now.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• That is a great looking cook.  You can get big bags of miso at Asian grocers and cut it with rice wine vinegar, soy, sherry, garlic, and ginger for your own marinade with no extras or surprises in the mix. And you can bring up the miso flavor as much as you want.  Also good with a bit of chili garlic paste if you want your miso with a kick.  Miso hungry now . . .
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Very nice spread. Right up my flavor alley
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Great looking feast.  Love using alder instead of cedar.  Don't know why I haven't tried shrimp yet, but I will this weekend.  Thanks for sharing.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    miso is fermented soybean.

Looks good, shrimp cook way faster than salmon.
    And/or rice and barley

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    So; pardon my lack of knowledge; but... whats the difference between alder and cedar.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • nolaegghead
    Alder is deciduous and cedar is coniferous. Historically that's what's around the PNW.   Coniferous wood has high turpentine content, so it can be "overdone" easily.
    @Kendermann here is your answer... 
    @nolaegghead Thanks... this weekend we were asking that on Kroger, we went with cedar, but will try alder next time

Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Looks great.  How do you know when the salmon is done?  internal temp?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    robnybbq said:
    Looks great.  How do you know when the salmon is done?  internal temp?
    I cook by feel with salmon.  If it feels firm, and not mushy, it's done.  Also a good idea to use a knife and open up a flake of meat in the thick part, should just be getting opaque in the center.  Temp is another way, you can pull when the coolest part of the fish is around 130-135F.   Salmon has high fat content and can be overcooked with less sadness than other leaner fish.
    great thanks - I am always afraid I am over cooking it.

Garnerville, NY