Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham From Charcuterie

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Do you prefer removing the bone prior to the cure? Why one way vs the other?  I'm thinking of doing a whole green ham cure & smoke for Christmas or New Year's.  I'll likely go bone in again. Lili Ann would be pissed I she doesn't get her treat. ^~^ Not to mention it adds a little zip to green beans etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Do you prefer removing the bone prior to the cure? Why one way vs the other?  I'm thinking of doing a whole green ham cure & smoke for Christmas or New Year's.  I'll likely go bone in again. Lili Ann would be pissed I she doesn't get her treat. ^~^ Not to mention it adds a little zip to green beans etc. 
    we removed it and meat glued it all back together this year. It does make it easier to slice. I don't really have a preference but the recipe is really, really good. It was the hit of Thanksgiving this year. This ham was a little tougher than the one we did last year. Seemed the connective tissue didn't render out as well. Everyone loved it so I may be overthinking it but Janell noticed too. Next year I will sous vide the ham then finish and glaze over apple on the egg.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here is this year's effort:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Nice.  Where did you find the fresh ham this year?  I may do this to have on hand for Christmas.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nice.  Where did you find the fresh ham this year?  I may do this to have on hand for Christmas.
    central market. Whole foods has them around the holidays too
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Did you retain the bone for later usage?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I don't have nor have I ever used meat glue. Where do you obtain it?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Did you retain the bone for later usage?
    yes. We smoked it and janell will use for stock or beans or something.

Meat glue is available at: http://www.modernistpantry.com/moo-gloo-rm-transglutaminase.html

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    [a bunch of snipped crap about curing a ham]

That ham sounds great, and I am going to try it, but we need to talk about this cornbread situation.

I don't know where you're from, but around here, you use one of these:
    https://www.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/12-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

Did you sous vide that cornbread?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    [a bunch of snipped crap about curing a ham]

That ham sounds great, and I am going to try it, but we need to talk about this cornbread situation.

I don't know where you're from, but around here, you use one of these:
    https://www.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/12-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

Did you sous vide that cornbread?
    Those are jalapeño cheese grits. And they would kick the **** out of cornbread in a street fight. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    Those are jalapeño cheese grits. And they would kick the **** out of cornbread in a street fight. 
    Now I'm just mad you didn't give me any
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Now I'm just mad you didn't give me any
    U mad bro? 
  • Homebrewguy
    Options
    Was there an explanation why the ham needs to be chilled again after cooking?
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Was there an explanation why the ham needs to be chilled again after cooking?
    So it is ready to be reheated when you are ready to eat it. It is perfectly fine not to cool and reheat, you can eat it after it is cooked the first time. You might want to double smoke it, or just reheat at a more convenient time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Tex, I missed the original posting of this thread as it was a little before my time. However I have seen it now. All around great job buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    This recipe is from: Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. You should all own this book if you are at all interested in brining, smoking, curing and using your egg to it's full potential. Great book.

I have a few real "old school" books on curing/preserving/aging that have always served me very well. However on your recommendation I purchased this from iBooks. If it sucks, I want a full refund or your brisket secret in retribution ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @sgh it doesn't suck. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    This recipe is from: Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. You should all own this book if you are at all interested in brining, smoking, curing and using your egg to it's full potential. Great book.

I have a few real "old school" books on curing/preserving/aging that have always served me very well. However on your recommendation I purchased this from iBooks. If it sucks, I want a full refund or your brisket secret in retribution ;)

60/40 pepper/salt. 250 over oak until it's jiggly. 

Paid in in advance if you don't like it :) 
  • SGH
    Options
    60/40 pepper/salt. 250 over oak until it's jiggly. 

Paid in in advance if you don't like it :) 
    I'm sure it's a excellent book. Have heard great things about it from several people on this forum as well as a few other forums. For clarity, anyone reading the brisket secret above, he left out the most important ingriedant of all. Unicorn tears ;)

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @sgh Ruhlmans book is excellent. My butcher described it as the Old Testament of charcuterie. He said this one below is the New Testament of charcuterie. (Personally I found it too exotic/esoteric and didn't make anything from it.)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • 20stone
    Options
    There are benefits to having a great relationship with your local dirty hippy butcher.  My guy just received a whole hog that is a Duroc Berkie cross, that was pasture raised and was living on acorns.

I am getting a ham and a butt, and am going to cure the ham using this recipe.  I am so, so stoked.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    There are benefits to having a great relationship with your local dirty hippy butcher.  My guy just received a whole hog that is a Duroc Berkie cross, that was pasture raised and was living on acorns.

I am getting a ham and a butt, and am going to cure the ham using this recipe.  I am so, so stoked.

That is awesome. I think you'll dig it.  I found a guy in Floresville/San Antonio area that I'm trying to go see in the next week or so. Texas Heritage Pork. They do some farmers markets and supply one restaurant in Austin (Barley Swine). I'm going to see if I can get some of his fancy pig parts if he delivers to Barley Swine. Otherwise I'll go down to SA and meet him at one of his farmer's markets.

• 20stone
    Options
    If you would be into it, you could see if we could get in on the ground floor of a new pig as well.  We'd own it and we would pay him to raise it..... our own Truman.

I soooo need to get a house.  My refrigeration is not up to my hobbies
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    If you would be into it, you could see if we could get in on the ground floor of a new pig as well.  We'd own it and we would pay him to raise it..... our own Truman.

uh, yeah. I'm kinda in to it. I'll check it out.

and as for "My refrigeration is not up to my hobbies"

Neither is your garage or your pickup truck situation.

• 20stone
    Options
    20stone said:

So, so true.  I plan on solving at least two of my problems in the next couple of months, and maybe the third so that cali and I can bring an egg arsenal to Salado
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    20stone said:

So, so true.  I plan on solving at least two of my problems in the next couple of months, and maybe the third so that cali and I can bring an egg arsenal to Salado
    I just sent him a message. He said on his facebook page that he is doing a drop in San Antonio next week for anyone who needs anything. I'll take him up on that if I have to. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    20stone said:

I just sent him a message. He said on his facebook page that he is doing a drop in San Antonio next week for anyone who needs anything. I'll take him up on that if I have to. 
    just talked to them. Might have a half hog on the way in January. They are way behind in keeping up with demand but he said he would definitely have a half hog "or at least some parts" for me soon.

They are adding breeders and doing all they can to keep up with demand. Business is good.

• 20stone
    Options
    It pays to have a good butcher, and buddies like @The Cen-Tex Smoker to help you so you don't screw it up.  

1) Before trimming, 18 pounds with skin on and a ton of beautiful, soft fat 2) Brine mix 3) After trimming 4) In the bowl I kept the fat (obviously) and skin. Any good ideas for the skin, besides Texas Chainsaw Massacre reenactments?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex, I'm working on something that you may like. Today I slaughtered 4 hogs. Going to cure one of them (the whole 228 pounds) in 55 gallon plastic drums. Then cold smoke for 15 days. Will send you pics my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, I'm working on something that you may like. Today I slaughtered 4 hogs. Going to cure one of them (the whole 228 pounds) in 55 gallon plastic drums. Then cold smoke for 15 days. Will send you pics my friend. 
    That is awesome!