Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Green Lightning Shrimp (pics)

NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,127
edited May 2013 in Seafood
Last week I asked the Necessary Indulgences Facebook page for shrimp ideas and @Griffin told me about Steven Raichlen’s Green Lightning Shrimp.

Green Lightning Shrimp

The marinade is puréed cilantro, jalapeños, scallions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, olive oil, and fresh lime juice.

Green Lightning Shrimp Green Lightning Shrimp Green Lightning Shrimp

Cook direct at ~500F for 2-3 minutes each side. (I used Key West Pink shrimp, so they look pink before and after they are cooked).

Green Lightning Shrimp

And then pour a Cilantro and Garlic Butter Sauce over them.

Green Lightning Shrimp

They were fantastic -- nice heat from the jalapeños.

*** The one thing I'll change next time is I won't add the lime juice to the marinade, I'll just add freshly squeezed lime juice to the shrimp after they cook. The acid from the lime broke-down the meat too much and caused it to be a tad mushy (the recipe calls for the shrimp to marinate for 30 minutes).

I'll definitely make this again... the marinade will be great on chicken, too.

Green Lightning Shrimp

You can read more about with I did HERE and find the original recipe HERE.
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I love all the ingredients, so it's got to be good !  Bookmarked !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    edited May 2013
    Glad it worked out for you (except the mushy part). Like I said, I've been meaning to try that recipe for years, then I'll forget about it, then I'll find it again. Somehow it always gets bumped. Now you have me wanting to try it again all over especially since I've got a ton of peppers on my plants right now that I'm going to need to use up.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • chris123stockchris123stock Posts: 664
    I looked at this yesterday and want to try it, but I cant stand cilantro, I found that you can sub. With basil? do you think that would taste ok or any ideas on what I could sub it with?
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,127
    @chris123stock -- I really like tarragon with shellfish... maybe leave it out of the marinade and drizzle the cooked shrimp with a tarragon, garlic, and butter sauce?
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Great cook.  Did you leave seeds and veins in the jalapeños?  I want to make this for the family!
    ·
    edited May 2013
    Great cook.  Did you leave seeds and veins in the jalapeños?  I want to make this for the family!
    I removed the seeds and there was still a good amount of heat. 

Green Lightning Shrimp
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,374
    Looks almost too good to eat!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My first take was hey I didn't name that! Green Lightning is my companies name. Looks great will have to give them a try.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 736
    Looks YUMMY!!!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,974
    Green lighting goes well with a green egg :) just picked some japs from the garden yesterday and was wondering what I could make with them.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,261
    Bookmarked and eager to try it. Wish I could get some key west pinks here. Although the local SC shrimp are pretty good. Especially when I catch them myself...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,742
    edited May 2013
    VERY NICELY DONE Kristi. U 2 Griffin. Gotta try this one for sure. Thanks =D>
    ·
  • texbaggertexbagger Posts: 90
    Kristi, Amazing shrimp.  I will try this, it looks and sounds so yummy!  Thank you for your guidance!
    ·
  • BeerIAmBeerIAm Posts: 21
    Looks yummy.  Thanks for sharing.
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Thanks, Ok...I'm gonna try.  Methinks good thot on the lime juice.\, maybe too acid. 
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • Grader07Grader07 Posts: 133
    These shrimp look delish Will def try
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Kristi, will definitely try that cook. Will figure out what to sub for cilantro....I am one of the 50% that cilantro tastes like soap....a little goes a long way... Beside parsley what other herb would you recommend?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 648
    Kristi, That looks outstanding and is officially bookmarked. Going to try and make this weekend. Thanks for sharing.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • Did these for lunch today without the oil. Just added a little water instead. Still delish. 8 large shrimp with marinade = 100 calories.  Now THAT is an awesome dish if you are eating light. 

Thanks!

·
  • Kristi, will definitely try that cook. Will figure out what to sub for cilantro....I am one of the 50% that cilantro tastes like soap....a little goes a long way... Beside parsley what other herb would you recommend?
    I think parsley would be great. if you do a chimi without cilantro, do it that way. Very fresh and verdant tasting. 

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Will try that. Family coming in this weekend from coast. See what they bring up..
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -- sweet!  good to know! 

@
    Austin Egghead -- tarragon would be good, too -- I love tarragon with shellfish.  Even if you didn't puree it with the marinade and just use it in the butter sauce, I bet it would be great. 
    Don't forget to leave the lime juice out of the marinade. 
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 645
    Looks so good.

I wish me or swmbo liked cilantro.  The only food that comes to mind that my first reaction is get this out of your mouth.

I will most likely try this without the cilantro!  Thanks!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • I did leave the lime juice out and added it after the cook.Perfecto! Great call.

·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I removed the seeds and there was still a good amount of heat. 

Green Lightning Shrimp
    Thank you!
    ·
  • SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Ummhmm. That looks so delish. Shrimp is so good when grilled just right.
    ·
  • Those look insane!!! I'm def trying this. Thx for sharing!
    ·
  • BigWingsBigWings Posts: 105
    I saw this last week and had to try it last Saturday. I made a load of them which made me the hero of the neighborhood and scored me mega brownie points with my better half.
    image.jpg 2.1M

New Brunswick, Canada

·
    Those look amazing! 
    ·
  • warwomanwarwoman Posts: 215
    Allright.....I'm giving it a try today!! Following the recipe above, but tweaking just a tad. Instead of 1/2 cup of EVOO, I'm going about 1/3 cup of plain EVOO, and filling in the rest with EVOOIG (infused garlic), EVOOIB (infused butter), and EVOOIC (infused cayenne).hopefully will have some successful pics later! Marinating now.....looking for a good scallop recipe. Thinking of bacon wrap and old bay spice, unless anybody has anything else. Wish me luck!!!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
    ·