Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Welding Gloves!

This topic has probably been beaten to death, but let's talk a minute about gloves.  Or Mitts or "Fireplace Gloves" or whathaveyou for getting hot things off the BGE.  I just bought a silicone "hybrid" mitt (Mastrad Orka Pro 11" combi mitt with silicone exterior and some kind of terry cloth liner) and a pair of Tillman "HighHeat 820" Welding gloves.  This was in response to singing all the hair off of my left arm and earning a couple of 2'nd degree "handling burns" from my new BGE.  After one evening's worth of comparitive testing, I can report that both models of glove work well, with the Tillman Gloves edging out the silicone mitt.  I deliberately used the mitt to move a 450 degree Wok around the direct flame grill with no ill effects for about a minute.  Then I used the Tillman gloves to remove the grill and insert the Platesetter, replace the grill and set the pizza stone in place (we were making grilled stuffed burrito's - eat yer heart out, Taco Bell!).   Once the thermometer got to 500F I opened the lid and turned the basket containing the burritos, using the Orka Pro Mitt.  I felt the heat on my hands but not to an uncomfortable degree.  The 'grippiness' of the Orka was a huge relief, as I have had unfortunate experiences in the past with this same set up and a regular oven pot-holder.  Then I closed the lid and let the BGE climb back up to about 600F.  After carefully 'burping' the top (something you forget to do exactly once), I used the Tillman Gloves to both flip the Burrito Basket and remove the  Pizza Stone.  Amazing!  No sense of heat build up in either case.  Who would have thought that a pair of leather and wool welding gloves would beat high-tech silicone?  Then, just to prove the point, I removed the grill and reached down into the pit and re-distributed the burning Lump.  Just to see if I could do it.  No heat, no worries.  My vote for high-heat gloves goes to the pair of Tillman "High Heat 820" gloves I bought from Central Welding Supply.

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I got some welding gloves from Home Depot - best money I ever spent - well except for the Egg, Thermapen, Maverick, etc....

Cookin in Texas
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    I've had a pair of fireplace gloves for a while that's I've used to handle hot grates and chimneys.  I really want to get a pair of silicone gloves for handling food on and off the smoker.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    ANOTHER wish list item, cause when i grab my platesetter with my present "oven mittens", i just do, get it to the storage spot before i HAVE TO drop it!!!  I'll be stopping at my big box store to investigate their welding gloves!!  Thanks for the recommendation..
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I wrote about burnt digits a while back. Glad you found some good ones. 
    Moving a HOT PS will get get you sooner or later. I still can't see where a 20 buck pair is all one needs. 
    My 2 cents.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great first post - Welcome!
    I've seen Tilman gloves but no idea what model. Will look for the 820.
    Todate, I've not dropped my setter, using a pair of channel locks and my ash tool to get it out. There have been close calls but no accidents yet. Again, thanks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    Real Men don't need no steenkin' gloves.

Sent via Tapa-Nose

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I've used a pair of all leather welding gloves for years... I can move a hot pizza stone, platesetter or cast iron grid... but I shake them off as soon as I can... The leather gets HOT and will burn you after you've set down the hot piece.  
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Botch said:
    Real Men don't need no steenkin' gloves.

Sent via Tapa-Nose

=))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I attempted to remove my PS the other day, after cooking at 400 for about an hour.  My leather welding gloves gave me about 6 seconds of holding time before I had to put it down.  I didn't have a decent place to put it, so I just set it back in the Egg. 

So, I ended up cooking burgers indirectly.  The taste just wasn't the same.  The burnt fingertips didn't help the situation either. I've had some crappy cooking experiences, but that one took the cake.   

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,464
    @SaltySam, when it happened to me, I had to put it down on the gasket in desperation  :((
    canuckland