Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Oysters Rockefeller or St. Louis Style

Have you ever had Oysters Rockefeller that were raw underneath and topped with a burnt crust of cheese? Or how about St. Louis style Oysters that were simply a dried-out flavorless mess? Well, I think I've nailed it with the Big Green Egg!! So, this is my FIRST time cooking on the Big Green Egg (Christmas Gift) and they were BY FAR the best oysters I've ever had! Cooking at around 320 for 30 minutes seemed to be perfect. 

I prepared the filling with: chopped garlic, onion & chive cream cheese, grated parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar, bacon bits, mexican cheese, a shake of Old Bay Blackened, some Tobasco Chipotle to taste, and a good dose of horseradish sauce. (See Pictures Below) Put a scoop of the mix on top each raw oyser, then top everything with more shredded cheddar, bacon bits and a little chopped cilantro. (Traditional Rockefeller would use spinach). Also, i chopped up a tiny bit of chorizo sausage (uncooked) and put it in the oysters for a saltier taste on some of them.

For St. Louis style, I put a pad of butter on each oyster, then shredded parmesan

Of course, any mix of the above works very well. 

Also, on the BGE you'll see some halved jalepenos stuffed with the same mix, then wrapped with bacon. As always, be sure to scrape out the seeds and vein from the jalepenos first before stuffing!
·

Comments

• That looks really good, Asher !  I was thinking of something similar to stuff my next ABT's.  Your's sounds excellent !  Not being a spinach lover, I think the cilantro substitution is outstanding.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • My mouth is watering.  Well done!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,065
    I'm doing that soon...nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • AsherAsher Posts: 3
    If anyone is curious...Indirect setup, plate setter feet up, oysters directly on rack at gasket line. Put a handful of cherry/hickory/apple mix soaked chips just before setting the plate setter in place. Moist, cooked thoroughly, and delicious!
    ·
  • Off to a good start. Nice cook.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    Looks good.  No anise in the rockefeller?

·
  • You've screwed yourself Asher.  Beginner luck now has left you with a high bar to cook up to.  :)    Tell me about the oyster prep please!  Fresh, frozen, already shucked, etc?
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
    ·
  • Reminds me of the Boss Oyster House in Appalachicola, FL. Looks mighty fine!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776

Great first cook. You got me hungry for some oysters now.

FYI - just to save yourself a step, there's no reason to soak your woodchips with the BGE like on a regular smoker. Try it next time and see if you notice a difference. Bet you won't.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    edited December 2012

:ar!
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    edited December 2012

You are a better man than I. After the Salado Fest last March and Travis and his Dad doing them Friday night and all day Sat I fell in love with oysters cooked on the Egg. Went to Fl later in the Summer and bought a fresh box and had brought my Large just for them. First: they do not open just by placing them on the fire! Second you really should have a clue how to open them. What you see is what we had before tossing the damn box...... Boy your looks good.....

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • demodemo Posts: 145
    Looks really good from here.
    ·
    Drago's charbroiled oysters are famous down here. They're really easy to make - I've done it several times.

http://www.food.com/recipe/charbroiled-oysters-from-dragos-47990

·

·
  • AsherAsher Posts: 3
    lemonhead: Tell me about the oyster prep please!  Fresh, frozen, already shucked, etc?
    Bought a case of 50 from local grocery, fresh Gulf oysters. Shucked them first, rinsed any loose shell pieces that come off when shucking, drained, than added a spoonful of the filler. Then topped with shred chedd cheese and real bacon bits.

·