Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I have a couple mahi filets

Still a newbie here.  This would be my first fish on the egg.  Any suggestions? 
·

Comments

• Coat them lightly with mayo and grill. The mayo will stop them from sticking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    Oil or like Steve said, mayo (even though I've never tried that), season with old bay or something - or just salt n peppah.  Then cook direct like a steak at medium high maybe 450, both sides, make pretty grill marks, dome closed until the inside is just opaque or 135 F if you have an instant read.  Probably take around 10 minutes give or take.

·
  • Nola, Mayo works like a treat. Doesn't seem to burn off as much as oil and it adds almost no flavour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    Steve, always happy to put a new trick in my bag o tricks.  Thanks, I'll give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, I sorta know where you live :D

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155

This is all I use. Or S&P is very good as well.

imageimage
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • biggest  and most common mistake with grilled fish is overcooking it. It should still be a little opaque in the middle. I still do fish by feel and I can't find the sweet spot on the thermapen. Love mahi on the egg. I'm a salt and pepper guy

·
  • Mickey,

I learned the trick from Little Chef (Michelle) in the other forum. Poolcreature and I went on a charter and I took a six pound filet to the Ocala afterparty. I dumped it on her to cook and she did it with the mayo. It was golden brown and wonderful. Not a scrap stuck to the grid. Been using it ever since

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I used the mayo, salt and pepper and did it right over 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Came out great.  Thanks for all the help.
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited November 2012
    I did mahi mahi last night as well, though I glazed it in teriyaki sauce. I seared it on the skin side first, so I could peel it off after a couple of minutes, leaving more surface for the glaze to adhere.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Why do I want Mahi Mahi Now? Off to Central Market now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    Little Steven on the mayo. Do you taste it or see it after cooking?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • No not at all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Mayo works great! Just make sure it's not fat free mayo. It's the fat that prevents the meat from sticking
    ·