Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Did You View The Eclipse?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,050
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    One of the nicer time lapse assemblages I've seen so far...

That is awesome!  Where was that taken, do you know?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    HeavyG said:

From the photographers instagram post:
    jasmanmanderThe Great American Eclipse as seen from Oregon.
    Millions of people gathered to the narrow path of totality to witness one of the most epic astronomical phenomenons of the century.
    Smoke filled the valley over Detroit Lake. Mt. Jefferson towered in the distance but was blocked by the smoke from wildfires. As the eclipse came into totality, the air became colder, and the smoke dropped a little, revealing the mountain for the 2 minutes of totality.
    The sky gave a twilight mood as the landscape darkened by the shadow of the moon. Colors began to pop as if it was just another sunset or sunrise.
    Planets and stars were visible along with the midday sun.
    Our original spot along the coast was fogged in, so we booked it to a spot we originally wanted to experience the event. Took a power nap and got ready for the show.
    This was the most incredible experience of mine, and possibly many others lifetime. I'm glad I got to experience this with Darian Westbrook. A moment we will never forget

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    Pretty cool photo yall might have already seen

Ypu sure this isn't from a previously unseen movie poster for Apocolypse Now?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Stepped out of the office in North Kansas City, right in the line of totality. Pretty lucky to not even have to change my daily commute!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Drove to a McDonald's parking lot in Anderson, SC. Wife thought I was nuts. It was packed. Saw a guy down the street parked in an empty lot trying to sell parking spots.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Inside the house.  Got kinda dark... had to turn the light on.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Pretty cool photo yall might have already seen

Best pic I have seen, perfect for jumpers and pilot, to time that out under canopy.  Best seat in the house.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice photoshop image.  Actually originally taken in South Africa sans planes and parachutists.  Also, this is an annular eclipse, not total.

Ring of fire
    Options
    Backyard......100%.  It got real dark, really quick.  I wasn't like a gradual transition.  It went from being kind of dim to what it would look like 15 minutes before civil twilight in about 90 seconds.  Then 2 minutes of that. before you saw this pinpoint of light shoot out from the sun.  But during the 100% the shiny corona gases around the sun looked pretty cool.  I heard the crickets, but that was about it, nothing else funny except the dusk-dawn lights coming on.

About what I saw just a few miles west of you close to Hermann, MO.
    I wanted to see totality but it was kind of a let down. I thought it was going to be like midnight. On a side note, I didn't know where I was going to watch it, just got in car with a friend and headed out. I tried to avoid crowds of Columbia, Jeff City and Fulton so I took a few back roads and when pavement ran out it turned to gravel at a church. It said Toledo, MO. I went a couple of miles to a small bar thinking it would be the place but decided to go back. Got to the church and pulled in to take pics. 2 other cars, one from Minnesota and one I didn't pay too much attention to. As I got a out I looked up with glasses on at sun and when I took them off, my twin brother was there. He got a new car a couple of weeks ago and I didn't recognize it. I didn't know where I was going when I left home, he didn't know where he was going either yet we end up in same gravel parking lot in BFE Missouri

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @HeavyG that just became my new desktop background. thanks for sharing. And come visit sometime if you're in Richmond. 

Here's a link to the photographers Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/jasman.mander

He may put up a higher rez file later on. He will also be selling prints.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
    HeavyG said:

Oregon.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Here's another nice assemblage taken in Nashville:

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Great day to watch eclipse. My house in Tennessee was in the centerline of totality, but here on the coast we were to get 97% in Savannah so stayed south. It was raining at what should have been sun up. It was raining at what should have been midday. It was still solid overcast at was the start and still overcast at sundown.
    I never saw the sun all day does this mean we had an all day eclipse?
    I want a refund.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    MLK Jr Dr in the ATL was a ghost town.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,518
    Options
    NASA released this today, but didn't state from where it was taken:

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • HeavyG
    Options
    August 31, 1932.

The one in 1970 was the first total eclipse I saw and the path of totality went right over our city - Virginia Beach. T'was a beautiful spring day with nary a cloud in the sky. Awesome day!

I'm guessing that Dr. Mitchell was mistaken in his calculation of the path for the 1970 eclipse and had predicted that it would only cross Florida and then be off the coast.

If so, he was close but the path stayed over land thru Virginia.

I might have to see if I can find his book. I love reading old science books.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    @Botch- my new desktop background and it was only 95% here. Thanks for that shot.
     I didn't expect to notice any change in the outdoor environment and that was certainly the case.  Borrowed the @Legume binocs suggestion and had a great look under clear sky.  Next up 2024.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    NASA released this today, but didn't state from where it was taken:

Cool looking photo but not from NASA and not real.

http://www.snopes.com/eclipse-over-south-pacific/

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Maybe we need a separate thread for all the folks who viewed the photoshopped eclipse.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Maybe we need a separate thread for all the folks who viewed the photoshopped eclipse.
    At least the fake pictures don't burn your eyeballs out.

Image result for fake eclipse pictures
    Options
    Image result for trump staring at eclipse
    Options

"It's SO DARK!  Can we stop it from voting?!?!?"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    My wife took these from our position on the waterfront in Charleston. The orange sliver is how we saw it through our eclipse glasses.  Then about the time it reached totality the clouds got thicker and we could look at it with the naked eye. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options

Image result for fake eclipse photos
    Best pic I have seen, perfect for spacemen and pilot, to time that out under canopy.  Best seat in the house.
    Options
    Options
    Options

Options