Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend me a good wine

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's Mogen David and I've funneled it before. Looked like my avatar when I was done. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Educated Quess 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Principato rosato or for cheapy arbor mist blackberry.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    For BBQ in the summer you might like a Tempranillo. Should be able to find really good stuff for $20 a bottle. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Anything out of Justin Vineyards is going to be very good.  You can find their basic cab for $18-20 usually.  Central Coast, not Sonoma or Napa.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not to worry Jeremah, I am going to visit Ron this weekend in Louisville. I will make a list of all the swill he has in his fancy dancy wine storage cella. I will send the list along.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    for the winos on the forum, how far down on the list is a kendall jackson chardonnay, pretty much all i have in the rack for the non beer drinkers, is it as bad as bud or coors is to someone that likes a good beer

Nice wine to share with friends. Consistant quality each bottle. Kind of like Bud select.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2017
    Options

Jeremiah at the Aiken County Jail

https://youtu.be/eVJfXBCddbI

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    14 Hands and J Lohr both make good wines for under $20.00  We buy the 14 Hands Hot to Trot at Costco and for less than $10.00 and always get compliments on it when served.
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    for the winos on the forum, how far down on the list is a kendall jackson chardonnay, pretty much all i have in the rack for the non beer drinkers, is it as bad as bud or coors is to someone that likes a good beer

Nice wine to share with friends. Consistant quality each bottle. Kind of like Bud select.
    good to know, just remembered the cheap supermarket sangria in the fridge for one of the neighbors. painted bottle with a fancy clay pop top =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    @DoubleEgger  sorry, I should have been a little more explanatory.  The painters that came into the liquor store that I worked in (after I got out of the service  in 1970 and went back to school in Knoxville) used to call it Morgan Davis - I never tried it cause I knew what it would do.  Back then we preferred Boones Farm and Reunite Lambrusco: fine beverages all   :o .  Currently a good accompaniment for most well seasoned eats for us has been Zinphomaniac reserve.  Hard to find here so we buy several bottles when available.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    There have been some very good suggestions.  Think of them as places to start your wine journey.  I'll add a couple more.

Everybody I know that has ever tried it loves Meiomi as recommended by @Eggdicted_Dawgfan.  However, a bunch of us did a blind taste test of Pinot Noirs one night and we actually rated La Crema higher - and it is in the same price range ($15-$19 depending on the store).

If you want to sound instantly like you know what you're talking about, get a Pinotage from South Africa.  Tell people how it is a grape that is almost exclusively grown in South Africa and is a genetic cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut (also known as Hermitage).  The only reason I know this is that when we were in South Africa, we really liked Pinotage.  When I got back to the US, I asked a wine manager why he did not have any Pinotage among his South African selections and he said "Nobody would ever buy a 2nd bottle because it smells like bacon".

BACON WINE!!! No wonder we liked it so much.

Since that time I haven't ever been honestly able to smell or taste bacon per se, but the longer it breathes the more you get hints of the smell of a Texas smokehouse.  

So, if your local wine store carries a pinotage - or a blend that includes it (more common), give it a try and tell people about the grape from South Africa.

By the way, the only US pinotage I've ever had is from J Vineyards - but it's no longer available on their website.  Has anybody had the pinotage from Loma Prieta, or is there any other US vineyard producing pinotage?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    There have been some very good suggestions.  Think of them as places to start your wine journey.  I'll add a couple more.

Everybody I know that has ever tried it loves Meiomi as recommended by @Eggdicted_Dawgfan.  However, a bunch of us did a blind taste test of Pinot Noirs one night and we actually rated La Crema higher - and it is in the same price range ($15-$19 depending on the store).

If you want to sound instantly like you know what you're talking about, get a Pinotage from South Africa.  Tell people how it is a grape that is almost exclusively grown in South Africa and is a genetic cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut (also known as Hermitage).  The only reason I know this is that when we were in South Africa, we really liked Pinotage.  When I got back to the US, I asked a wine manager why he did not have any Pinotage among his South African selections and he said "Nobody would ever buy a 2nd bottle because it smells like bacon".

BACON WINE!!! No wonder we liked it so much.

Since that time I haven't ever been honestly able to smell or taste bacon per se, but the longer it breathes the more you get hints of the smell of a Texas smokehouse.  

So, if your local wine store carries a pinotage - or a blend that includes it (more common), give it a try and tell people about the grape from South Africa.

By the way, the only US pinotage I've ever had is from J Vineyards - but it's no longer available on their website.  Has anybody had the pinotage from Loma Prieta, or is there any other US vineyard producing pinotage?
    Wine snob.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I've been enjoying  Beaulieu Vineyards BV, cab.  It's good stuff.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Thanks to most of y'all! @theyolksonyou and @bgebrent y'all are dead to me. I'm going to get a bottle of Conundrum tonight. I'll be sure to keep trying others as well. Thanks again. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Meiomi is a great pinot that matches your price point. Definitely worth a shot. You can get it at Kroger if you have one close. 
    It's fantastic for the $. Should be around $14
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'lll send you a list. I have a bit of a wine problem. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Boone's Farm strawberry
    SWMBO's favourite wine - we buy it buy the case for the summer, in the fall she switches to Bailey's. 
    Have you tried some of the Lohr reds at Costco?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @Foghorn Le Crema is a great wine for the price. Not sure I could tell the difference. Meiomi is always around 18-22 a bottle around here and Le Crema is 22-26 so we usually stick with the cheaper since we can't tell a difference. Nice having a twist top too. Sounds like you are getting a steal at $14 a bottle. 
    Snellville, GA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Did anybody mention Two Buck Chuck? 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Conundrum is also great wine. I'm pretty new to wine as well. What I have noticed is it's better when you can let it open up. I can't explain it but basically it needs to breathe a bit before you drink it. Who am I fooling, drink that shït out of the bottle.
    Snellville, GA

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Lenore makes a really good Syrah from Washington's Columbia Valley.

For Pinot Noirs, I'm very partial to Willamette Valley in OR, or the Russian River Valley in CA, Bearboat is one of my favorites from the latter, should be around $15-16 and is good value for the money.

Bogle Vineyards puts out a blend titled Phantom that is very good.

I think that somebody mentioned Dave Phinney earlier, he's just put out a group of locations wines, that come with a great pedigree for under $20/bottle.  I've only had the Spanish one, but it was very good.

The 90+ Cellars recommendation from earlier is on point too, their Old Vine Malbec and French Fusion are both excellent, although I haven't had a bad bottle, and at $13 or less/bottle are good weeknight or party opens.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'lll send you a list. I have a bit of a wine problem. 
    You should post that list, Just based off this tread there is plenty of interest.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bpric
    bpric Posts: 28
    Options
    Here are my favorite "value" reds that are readily available on the west coast.  $8-$12 a bottle. YMMV.
    Menage a Trois - Red Table Wine
    Dreaming Tree - Red Crush
    Savage Knightfall - Red Blend
    Layer Cake - Malbec
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    College students have a great whine. Snowflakes.  =)=)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I'm not dead yet!  Jason texted me. He's not dead yet. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I feel like taking a walk. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've gotten betta
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    If your not into wine, and want something that is cheap and tasty:
    http://lolailosangria.com/

It's available at Sam's and Costco in the summer months.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options