Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend me a good wine

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @jeffwit
    Watch out! I just found out this forum has azz holes in it.....so be careful.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    College summer tradition. 

Tour de Franzia. 

Ingredients:
    1) Friends
    2) Slow river
    3) Floats
    4) Boxes of wine

First man to the finish line with a fully consumed satchel of wine wins. As the players progress, the game brings additional challenges waiting downstream. 

For students not doing much studying...you have a lot of time to get very creative. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Dinah_Moe_Humm Posts: 111
    edited August 2017
    Options
    In Gnarley Head you have a "field blend", which is typically red varietals containing (but not limited to):  zinfandel, Syrah and Grenache.  These wines are very fruity and meant to drink young and pair with a variety of foods.  In the $25 range, I would recommend Ridge Three Valleys.  In fact, I would recommend any wine produced by Ridge Estate (Vineyard).  Look for and try Ridge Geyserville or Lytton Springs.  These wines will be a little more expensive (~$30), but are classics in terms of quality and consistency.  And both will age extremely well.

The "California" on the label means that the wine was created with any grape sourced in California and not a specific region (i.e.: Napa, Sonoma, etc.).
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Jeremiah
    Seriously, those are all very good.
    This is what's funny. I don't know wines - so I have no clue (mostly) which posts are legit and which are just being smart a$$. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @jeffwit
    Watch out! I just found out this forum has azz holes in it.....so be careful.....
    Ah, but they are ze finest sort of azzholes. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Decoy Red Blend
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Try a Shiraz. Great with a steak!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Dutch Henry.  Call, order, receive, enjoy. Napa Valley. Cab Franc blend they have is incredible.....

anything at bevmo or total wine from argentina or chile is ridiculously good, the redder the better.  Austrailian reds are good too....

Cabernet and Merlot are the way to go....

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you can get them on your side of the pond, a good mature Gigondas or Vacqueyres from the Rhone Valley are great with many different meals cooked in the Egg. Anything with hints of smoke benefits from Burgundy, specifically Gevrey Chambertain and Nuits St Georges, again needs to be mature.

I've done wine matches for most meals I've blogged about, this might give you an idea of what to try:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/tag/wine-match/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    A$sholes. I have a$sholes for friends. 
    Best A$sholes money can't buy!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Kay says when your wife tells you NO and you start (wine)ing.  Is the best wine!!!!!!!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I can be bought. It's expensive though. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Used to drink a lot of red wine but then came my whiskey days. I always preferred the napa over the Sonoma reds. You pay a premium usually. The imported wines are usually more bang for the buck. Wine.com has a very good search engine for 90+ rated wines under $20. Hard to go wrong there IMO. Good luck and drink what you like. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

so happy im not a wine snob...if its not mateus it aint no use. stay away from the ports, especially the old tawneys ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I can be bought. It's expensive though. 
    True but you would still be the same A$shole!!!!!!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    If you like Red Zins, dude, welcome home brother........
    Here are a few I enjoy:
    Rhombauer
    Earthquake
    BV
    Gnarley is a good starting point, but those listed above will make you LOVE Red Zins.
    Proud of you my brother, it is like watching your child taking their first step.....
    I need a moment, ....and a tissue....
    :rofl:
    I agree with Ron on the Red Zin for your price point...the Argentina Malbecs are nice too and typically pair well with smoked foods.  I have been a Rombauer Zin fan for a while, but the 2015 was a little too sweet for my palate.  Another one in the same price range that I have enjoyed is Saldo Zinfandel...it's under the Prisoner wine label and even though David Phinney isn't affiliated any longer with the label it's still a nice Zin for the price. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Purchase Franciscan Cab.....about $25 a bottle. You will enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The Gnarly Head Red you showed is a blend that is mostly Zinfandel according to their web site. Lodi Zins are one of my favorite. I actually used to drink the Gnarley Head Zin almost exclusively a few years ago. It was $6 at a liquor store near me and an incredible value. It has been a while since I have tried it but I think it is worth a shot to see if you like the Zin by itself. One that I really like, cheesy name aside, is 7 Deadly Zins.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for the winos on the forum, how far down on the list is a kendall jackson chardonnay, pretty much all i have in the rack for the non beer drinkers, is it as bad as bud or coors is to someone that likes a good beer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Some cheap bottles that we keep on hand:

Josh
    Dark Horse
    Ravenswood
    NOLA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Meiomi is a great pinot that matches your price point. Definitely worth a shot. You can get it at Kroger if you have one close. 
    Another wine in the same range is A to Z Pinot noir. Really excellent, our Costco carries it for $20. Costco does a really good job selecting wine. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Surprised to see no love yet for Trader Joe's Two-Buck Chuck.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    Look for a Malbec,  "The nuanced flavors offer milk chocolate, cocoa powder, violet flowers, leather, and, depending on the amount of oak aging, a sweet tobacco finish."   Or, in plain terms, it's nice.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Purchase Franciscan Cab.....about $25 a bottle. You will enjoy.
    I agree with this - reliably good, but let it breath.  We also routinely enjoy Napa Cellars cab for a few $ less than the Franciscan.  

I woukd stick with California cabs - try a few, you'll find one you like.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I truly did not think there were good "Red" wines!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My wife enjoys the big co ck.
    Image result for giant rooster wine
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Franciscan is good so is Simi for the same price point. Stags Leap is real good but twice the money...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Grew up on Morgan Davis 20/20  (aka Mad Dog 20/20).  Great stuff, esp. if your a painter.  Goes with paint fumes in the best way.  I'm sure @bgebrent knows all about it.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Grew up on Morgan Davis 20/20  (aka Mad Dog 20/20).  Great stuff, esp. if your a painter.  Goes with paint fumes in the best way.  I'm sure @bgebrent knows all about it.
    Wine fridge is stocked with it. It'll take paint right off the brush  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga