Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Real Deal Pulled Pork- I finally get it (took long enough)

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm starting to think I need to do a pork tour like people come here and do brisket tours. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Great post, John!

I always top my pulled pork sammies with my vinegar slaw.  It's very wet, so it's not lacking vinegar and works very well with pork... especially for peeps who say they don't like vinegar slaw, or slaw period.  It's very bright and has that zing that you're talking about. 
    Cazzy, would you be kine enough to post that slaw recipe? I love slaw on my pulled pork.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    BTW- I use Myron Mixon's vinegar sauce

Nothing wrong with that Brother Tex. Myron may present himself as an a$$, but their is no denying his talent. I have liked just about everything that he has recommended from rubs, marinades, to injections.  
    On a seperate note, glad to hear that you have hit the mark that you were shooting for with the pork. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    I'm starting to think I need to do a pork tour like people come here and do brisket tours. 
    I'm quite sure that @tarheelmatt and I can take good care of you.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm quite sure that @tarheelmatt and I can take good care of you.
    Sounds terrible. I know you guys aren't drinkers and prefer chain restaurants
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Here's that recipe Cen Tex

1 cup distilled vinegar 
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup apple juice 
    1tsp hot sauce 
    1tsp crushed red pepper
    1tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 Tbsp salt 
    3 tbsp light brown sugar. 

Mix and store. 

It's killer on chicken too. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I like this mustard vinegar on pork. It also is kicka$$ on wings as a finish sauce. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm partial to Eastern style mop. Mostly because my body wouldn't be found if my family found out I used the weird stuff from Lexington. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My simplistic understanding has been that you need some acid to cut the "richness" and make the flavors shine, hence vinegar sauce or slaw for stuff like PP or sometimes brisket. And A-1 for wagyu... just kidding. 

Thai food gets this right (IMO) i.e. balancing flavors like salt, sweet, heat, and acid/sour. A well-made papaya salad is the perfect example, and when done right, the balance of flavors is spectacular. But most places don't get it right.

I usually make slaw with green apples and apple cider vinegar to go with pulled pork, but now will try just adding vinegar and see what happens. Pulled pork is usually on the menu when I need to feed a crowd, so don't make it much for just us. That may be about to change. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I use a variant of Myron Mixon's recipe.  I run up against another Wilma Food Challenge here.  (Trust me, she has many food challenges).  She's not fond of vinegar, so I take some pp in a bowl and add my sauce to that for me and one of my girls.  I've never had a mustard based sauce.  Gonna have to give it a whirl.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    My taste tends toward Eastern North Carolina style. I don't want to cover the meat with a tomato based sauce and mask the smoky goodness. I came across this recipe a few years ago from, of all places, Allrecipes.com.

It's what I use now religiously. Another thing that kicks PP up a notch is the slaw. At Bridges, in Shelby, they have a red slaw which is vinegar based. The combo of this slaw with their PP is outstanding. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I agree!! =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    Bookmarked!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Hotch said:
    I agree!! =)
    A NC pork tour that culminates in Butt Blast might be magical.  It would require a designated driver....
    I'm in for this road trip!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Be interesting to see the verdict after y'all Texas boys toured North Carolina. I doubt we would see any true conversions, but I'll bet you would gain a new appreciation for Carolina barbecue. And don't forget the hushpuppies. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Foghorn said:
    Hotch said:
    I agree!! =)
    A NC pork tour that culminates in Butt Blast might be magical.  It would require a designated driver....
    I'm in for this road trip!
    This would be epic!  Love to see you guys do this. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    sancho65 said:
    Bookmarked!!
    I did too
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sooo.... 1185 miles to @JohnInCarolina 's lab. About 17 hrs  driving. And a much shorter flight. If I take some  days off in the first half of April 2018, this could potentially happen.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man, it could be an epic road trip. From east to west! Talking Bs BBQ, Skylight Inn, Sam Jones, Scotts (in SC), Lexington BBQ, BBQ Center,  Buxton Hall, and many more. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sooo.... 1185 miles to @JohnInCarolina 's lab. About 17 hrs  driving. And a much shorter flight. If I take some  days off in the first half of April 2018, this could potentially happen.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Where else?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Where else?

Buxton Hall. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Bullocks in Durham?  Old school, but my first true NC BBQ....
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Got to include Bridges BBQ lodge in Shelby. Anyone flying into CLT, I'll be glad to take you about an hour west of the airport for your first stop of PP heaven!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Thank you for this post Cazzy and for all who contributed.  I tried the shark attack sauce and don't reckon I will pull a shoulder without saucing it in the future.   It made the meal.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Where else?

Picnic in Durham.  A relative newcomer on the scene, but the best Pulled Pork I've had in the area.
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Boy did I once again learn something from this great site.  I have cooked pork shoulders many times but have never added vinegar sauce before.   I do love the taste of it.  I cannot wait to try both sauces next time I cook shoulders. Thanks once again for teaching me how to be a better cook!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    Where else?

Picnic, in N. Durham is fantastic. 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Where else?

Picnic, in N. Durham is fantastic. 
    I went there and thought it was great too. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site