Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daughters (8) first go at steaks on her new grill.

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I see what's going on here... you're using your sweet daughter to finagle more toys for yourself!! :)

Very cool that she's as into it as she is. I see a forum junkie in the making. Looks like she's got the the skills to hold her own here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    ryantt said:

Her great uncle is going to make a table and get it to her by Friday.  So we've got to come up with something interns of design.   Thinking a 2ft by 4ft table opening in the middle just dont know how tall to have him make it.   
    Personally I would have him make it to a standard height, and ask him to build her a stool to go with it. That way she won't outgrow the table and it will last her many years. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Awesome post!  Food looks great!  I am hoping one of my kids gets a passion for lawn care.  That way I can do the "hard work" of cooking dinner as the lawn is being mowed.  :smiley:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Like, Like, Like, Like. Tell her I liked it a lot. I like medium rare to go please x2!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Awesome, this made my morning. You will create a lot of memories, stories when she gets older like "remember the time the plate setter caught on fire" (that happened to me the past weekend, long story).  Reverse sear is not an easy thing to master. Awesome cook, I would so devour that steak!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Nailed it! Now you can just sit back with a cold one and instruct while she takes care of the rest.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Again thanks everyone for the kindness you've shown to my little girl.   I showed her what you've all been saying when she got ready for school this morning, and she was grinning ear to ear.   You've all been truly kind to her which  means the world to us.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• BrisketBob
    BrisketBob Posts: 145
    Options
    That girl is being raised right!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Nice!! But I think you need to be honest and let her know it was really for you
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ryantt
    Options
    @lkapigian, if I tried to take that away from her I wouldn't be able to afford the therapy bills lol.  

I absolutely love that joe jr.  It got hot fast and held temps awesomely.   I wish I had one, maybe I can get myself one someday!   Her Great Uncle is coming over tonight to take measurement and get the table built by Friday, must be nice to be a retired contractor.  Wonder if I can get him to build one for my xl BGE and kj classic for free? Worth a try, somehow I do t see it happening. 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    post of the year!  Its been said many times, but cherish the moment - we're getting ready for my beautiful princess's college graduation and job in Chicago...  The time with them, and opportunities to make these kind of memories, just flies past.
    As @SciAggie said, she's got you totally wrapped around her little finger now (if she didn't already)!  Enjoy the joint cooks!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So Great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It goes without saying that this gets the DSOP. It would get the triple Seal if I had one. 

Awesome brother. Just awesome. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ryantt
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @SGH wow a double seal of approval, I'm so jealous she got one out the gate.   I'll let her know in the morning when she gets up.....man she's showing me up 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Don't matter what color that cooker is. This is a great post. I may have to get one of those. [KJ Jr that is. Already have a daughter  :)
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Her giant smile made my day. Keep up the great cooks!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Awesome all around.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!
    LBGE
    AL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    really cool, man
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Fantastic cook!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    Very nice!  Redefines the phrase family cookout!  Enjoy.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Fantastic!  Her smile shows how much she truly loved your gift! She is a natural!!  Made me smile reading your post :)
  • ryantt
    Options
    @SoCal_Griller never thought of it that way, but you're 100% right.   

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    It would be cool if her table was able to adjust to her height as she grows up. Either way, looking forward to seeing it when it's done. 
    Snellville, GA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    SGH said:
    It goes without saying that this gets the DSOP. It would get the triple Seal if I had one. 

Awesome brother. Just awesome. 

She can now come to the DSOP club meetings.  I'll teach her the handshake.

If I buy her a bigger kamado will she come cook for me?

This is great on so many levels.  I've enjoyed a similar journey with my son who just turned 20.  Finding the balance between giving him guidance without being controlling is the hard part (I wasn't always successful).  But despite my occasional misstep we almost always enjoyed the journey and we're still enjoying it today (when he's around).  I hope you and she have a similar journey over many decades.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Love this. She's gonna put some dude to shame in backyard cooking. Good job Dad. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ryantt
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL shes having g so much fun cooking on her New Joe Jr!  It's hard to believe how much she loves it.   I guess some day I'll have to step up and get her a larger cooker.