Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE really falling behind?

Options

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Most dealers by me are switching from BGe to KJ.   Maybe margins are higher, who knows.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    bweekes said:
    I've owned and cooked on eggs and KJs. Both are good cookers. My sense is that KJ listens to the market and is quicker to bring products to their users. Joetisserie is a decent example. Also, the Joe jr. was out for about a year before the mini-max came out. Call it innovation, or just being in tune, but I think KJ has done a good job in that regard. 
    I think that's probably the best description I've heard--in tune and meeting their customer's desires vs leading the pack in innovation (as seen by the laundry list of things I listed that weren't necessarily "firsts" in the kamado market, albeit good additions).

Do you have a preference between KJ and BGE? 

I'm definitely leaning towards the XL--mostly because the additional dome clearance and coupled with the Adjustable Rig, being able to go 3 levels if needed...or putting a pork butt/brisket up top in the dome. It is also noticeably smaller than the Big Joe.
    I agree that the XL has the better dome/clearance. KJ should copy that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    There are pictures available online that show the two side by side. If there is significantly more dome clearance, then it is mostly due to a lower grate height on the BGE.
    Gittin' there...
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I think BGE is definitely falling behind.  It's the classic example of a stubborn company trying to rest upon its laurels while hungry competitors do the opposite.  As soon as I read that BGE management made it so that any thread on this board regarding the Joetisserie would not rise to the top after so many posts .. while at the same time insisting any form of rotisserie was a waste ... I knew everything was shifting at that point.

I'm a business owner and in all honesty, I would fire the people that made this decision.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    That book reminds me of Amy's dilemma. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    That book reminds me of Amy's dilemma. 

@SGH - Thanks, I just spit bourbon on my computer..
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH - Thanks, I just spit bourbon on my computer..
    My pleasure brother D. Always glad to put a smile on a friends face. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    bweekes said:
    ... I will say that the XL is the best cooker i've ever owned (i've had a large egg, weber bullet, and a KJ jr), and still own my medium. Hands down, the xl is my go-to cooker. Start up time, temp stability, versatility (i have an AR), cook time, etc. -
    Couldn't agree more, for my bacon smoke today the XL held temp rock solid around 180-185F the whole time until I cranked it up to 200F near the finish line (total 7 hours), the weather was a mixed bag of sun, wind, rain, ice pellets and snow. No temp controller needed. 
    canuckland
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I've been making jerky lately on my large. I can hold 160 and lower if needed. No controller also. It really is pretty easy. Just hit a golf ball size and let it burn for a few minutes so it gets going good enough where it will maintain. Close up and set it. Let it slowly come up. And lock in your temp.
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Is this turning into the everlasting debate between Mustang vs Camaro? 

Ill admit it, I'm a brand slut, and once I like a certain brand, I'll stick with it until I get screwed. Can KJ cook an outstanding brisket, burger or couple of dogs? Sure. Personal preference...

It's all another reason I love my stage 3 Roush mustang... Are there faster cars, sure. Can those drivers out drive me? Probably not. 

Time me for another bourbon to wash down the double tri-tips I just smoked on my large BIG GREEN EGG!!! 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • distanceman
    Options
    Jameson19 said:

Ill admit it, I'm a brand slut, and once I like a certain brand, I'll stick with it until I get screwed. Can KJ cook an outstanding brisket, burger or couple of dogs? Sure. Personal preference...

It's all another reason I love my stage 3 Roush mustang... Are there faster cars, sure. Can those drivers out drive me? Probably not. 

Time me for another bourbon to wash down the double tri-tips I just smoked on my large BIG GREEN EGG!!! 
    That's fair--and to be honest, I'm pretty brand loyal as well. Because of that, I drive myself insane trying to determine the "best" brand to become loyal to. 

I guess when I'm looking at almost $2K for an XL and all the accessories--I want to get it right. My biggest fear is buyers remorse/grass is greener. I assume once I pull the trigger, I just need to not look back. 

Thx...
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Jameson19 said:

Pic of the Mustang? 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    DMW said:
    Click the link. Scroll down read subject matter. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • distanceman
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    DMW said:
    I read it and it's definitely interesting. I know I'm way over thinking the whole KJ vs BGE vs Primo vs Other...I think this is where I'm stuck:

On one hand, BGE could be at the end of the S curve, and will get out maneuvered by KJ. Even if they did, not sure BGE would ever got belly up...but who knows.

On the other hand, I often wonder if KJ over-extends (the CEO said they invested $1M in the new hinge design) and under delivers...they could find themselves in a bad place financially. I am very curious to see how sales go now that their flagship grills will price above a BGE. And/or as they grow, the "tight knit feel" where the CEO regularly hands out his phone number, email and is on FB will quickly come to an end...which is one of the draws to the company currently.

Anyways, all this just gives me something to think about while I make my decision. I'm half tempted to just buy an Akorn -- cheap, quick, dirty, done! ha.
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @distanceman said: I assume once I pull the trigger, I just need to not look back. 

Wherever you land you do need to embrace your thought above.  Just go forward and above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    DMW said:
    I read it and it's definitely interesting. I know I'm way over thinking the whole KJ vs BGE vs Primo vs Other...I think this is where I'm stuck:

On one hand, BGE could be at the end of the S curve, and will get out maneuvered by KJ. Even if they did, not sure BGE would ever got belly up...but who knows.

On the other hand, I often wonder if KJ over-extends (the CEO said they invested $1M in the new hinge design) and under delivers...they could find themselves in a bad place financially. I am very curious to see how sales go now that their flagship grills will price above a BGE. And/or as they grow, the "tight knit feel" where the CEO regularly hands out his phone number, email and is on FB will quickly come to an end...which is one of the draws to the company currently.

Anyways, all this just gives me something to think about while I make my decision. I'm half tempted to just buy an Akorn -- cheap, quick, dirty, done! ha.
    How many extra units must they sell to recoupe the investment? What is the end value of the investment to the customer? The answer to the second question is almost zero. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I see these a gimmick rather than innovations.  The "technology" and success of ceramic cookers is rather simple. Ceramics to hold the heat, vents to let air in and to let smoke escape and the draft that naturally occurs when fire is involved. With my XL, so far, I have never needed to have anything like the multi-tier rigs.  

My guess is that there is a perceive $$$ savings with going with the knock-offs vs anything really "innovated".  Just my observation. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Really? Upgrading big green egg owners. These guys add a smokeware top and then act like they're changing the game. Ridiculous. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Coattails.  Always funny to me - shouldn't the market be people that don't own kamado cookers?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Really? Upgrading big green egg owners. These guys add a smokeware top and then act like they're changing the game. Ridiculous. 
    That's not even the new one......that's the current design.  New one will be $200 more from what I heard.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    Legume said:
    Coattails.  Always funny to me - shouldn't the market be people that don't own kamado cookers?
    How many brands of cars have you ever owned?

Are you one of those folks that has always driven say..Ford's and will NEVER own another brand?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I've only bought 2 cars. Both Camrys they last forever. I drove a parent gifted vehicle till I was out of school 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    texaswig said:
    That's not even the new one......that's the current design.  New one will be $200 more from what I heard.
    I wonder how shiny they will be at equal or higher price? I can see it now. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    How many brands of cars have you ever owned?

Are you one of those folks that has always driven say..Ford's and will NEVER own another brand?

I wish this comparison made sense.
  • SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    I wish this comparison made sense.
    A better comparison would have been anus vs sphincter :D

Status- Standing by.

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    for what it's worth, BGE outsells KJ closer to 2:1 than 4:1 as previously stated.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited March 2017
    Options
    alynd said:
    for what it's worth, BGE outsells KJ closer to 2:1 than 4:1 as previously stated.  

I recently discovered that not all statements of fact on the internet are true.  

This one is highly suspect - private companies don't usually release sales figures to the public

Phoenix 
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    blasting said:
    alynd said:

I recently discovered that not all statements of fact on the internet are true.  

This one is highly suspect - private companies don't usually release sales figures to the public

i used to work for one of said private companies so it's a pretty educated estimate.