Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For 250 mil, Anova is now Electrolux

Options
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    It is well known that Electrolux did not invent the refrigerator, yet they continue to sell refrigerators.

That makes them copycat scum, so obviously anyone cooking sous vide is also scum.

Period.

Peace out.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yeah, and if their aquisition means it is going to have added on gadgets, and be a dual purpose vacuum cleaner, I am prepared to send a very tersly worded email. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Does this mean that Kelly Ripa will be the spokeswoman? 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    It is well known that Electrolux did not invent the refrigerator, yet they continue to sell refrigerators.

That makes them copycat scum, so obviously anyone cooking sous vide is also scum.

Period.

Peace out.
    forum topic cross threading...HA!!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm just waiting for someone to purchase the patent on dihydrogen monoxide.  That's the real smart play in my book.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spaightlabs
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That (dihydro-whatever) was invented a long time ago, at least a couple thousand years ago according to the creationists.  The patent has run out by now and a generic equivalent is available.
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    Honest question... I've seen this being bashed by a lot of people. Does Electrolux have a bad reputation I'm unaware of?

I don't blame Anova for selling ($250mill is a good payday). 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited February 2017
    Options

Period.

Peace out.
    By extension, that makes Yeti scum too.
    HellrodKC said:
    Honest question... I've seen this being bashed by a lot of people. Does Electrolux have a bad reputation I'm unaware of?

I don't blame Anova for selling ($250mill is a good payday). 
    If anyone here was offered 250 mil for their company they would sell too.  That's a lot of BGE's, accessories, and SRF orders. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I'm interested in the oven they mention. Not for any reason besides I haven't heard of it. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Does this mean they will start selling Anova's door to door?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Legume said:
    Does this mean they will start selling Anova's door to door?
    That's gonna be REAL awkward waiting for the water to get up to temp.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options

Period.

Peace out.
    By extension, that makes Yeti scum too.
    I agree. 
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Electrolux sounds cooler.......
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    55drum said:
    Electrolux sounds cooler.......
    That sounds like something ya get done to ya before taking a beach vacation.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    What will they do with the Anova app? hope it's not discontinued 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Never mind just read that anova will continue under their own name 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    You guys are looking at it all wrong, they need to rebrand everything with the new logo or ownership.
    Everything already manufacturered is now old stock and therefore obsolete. 
    How do you get rid of old stock? Get ready for the fire sale. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Sounds like business as usual. Acquisition is the most appropriate way to expand and diversify. Look at most successful businesses and you will see they seldom stick to their knitting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Right, just look at Russia.   They 'acquired' Crimea first and Ukraine next.

Expand and diversify.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Spaightlabs - Exactly. It is far easier to acquire and rebrand than it is to actually build from scratch.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    You guys are looking at it all wrong, they need to rebrand everything with the new logo or ownership.
    BTW - did you see the fire sale last fall? The blue-tooth model for <$105CDN, maybe that sale will be back. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    BTW - did you see the fire sale last fall? The blue-tooth model for <$105CDN, maybe that sale will be back. 
    Anova will be releasing a new model called the Nano in a couple of months - MSRP of $99US. No word on Canadian price but likely a bit more than $105CDN.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Never mind just read that anova will continue under their own name 

Hans61 said:
    What will they do with the Anova app? hope it's not discontinued 

The first thing to be declared during a buyout / takeover is the universal lie "nothing is going to change".

@Hans61 do you use the app?  I've never bothered with it.
    Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Somebody please enlighten me as to why the wifi and Bluetooth are useful? It's not like a fire that might go out. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I used the wifi....once.  Started to raise temp before I left work. Now it won't even connect to my wifi. Had to reconnect a couple of times. That function is a POS. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Well, I'm hoping they can bring that wifi and Bluetooth functionality to Electrolux now.  Would love to be able to remotely monitor my wife vacuuming.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I used the wifi....once.  Started to raise temp before I left work. Now it won't even connect to my wifi. Had to reconnect a couple of times. That function is a POS. 
    I tried it once and got it to work via Bluetooth. Seems like a total waste. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Somebody please enlighten me as to why the wifi and Bluetooth are useful? It's not like a fire that might go out. 
    Some folks will pack their container with ice so the food will stay cold until they connect via the web to start it in time for their food to cook and be ready when they get home from work. Seems sensible to me. Not sure that WiFi connection troubles can always be blamed on the device rather than other parts in the chain - router setup, user error, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Some folks will pack their container with ice so the food will stay cold until they connect via the web to start it in time for their food to cook and be ready when they get home from work. Seems sensible to me. Not sure that WiFi connection troubles can always be blamed on the device rather than other parts in the chain - router setup, user error, etc.
    The damn thing doesn't recognize my wifi. It was set up, it forgot(contrary to the literature). It was set up again, forgot again. Now will not recognize the wifi. Followed the recommended trouble shooting. No love.