Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty handling fee???

Options

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I would call Bruce at the Mothership I bet he will take care of you.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Already sent a email full of details to Bruce. I also have the receipt, because she put it in my name when she bought it so I wouldn't have any problems with the warranty. Plus, I also plan on talking to the Manager or owner at Pinch a Penny on Tuesdays when they open back up from New Year's.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bruce and/or the whole mothership does not reliably respond to emails. You will
    need to call

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tcracing
    Options
    I will follow up, and post results.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    need to call

CALL BRUCE
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    tcracing said:
    I really don't know if he really cares. He was the only dealer until a year ago. Everytime I go in there he seems to have less and less stuff. I think I need to find a new dealer. I did buy a Medium from him.
    You bought an egg from him and he still doing this ****?  Oh boy I would show my ass. And I would sit in the parking lot and wait til he had other customers to do it. 
    He didn't buy it there. Please leave the "ass-showing" to the professionals. @sgh

tcracing said:
    I really don't know if he really cares. He was the only dealer until a year ago. Everytime I go in there he seems to have less and less stuff. I think I need to find a new dealer. I did buy a Medium from him.

Am I misunderstanding?  

Little Rock, AR

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    That's a total load of crap.....go to another dealer.  BGE warranty's and distributors say NOTHING about which dealer you bought it from.  As long as it was an authorized dealer, the warranty is in force.  What happens if you move?  What if you dealer moves?  What if the dealer goes out of business?

The first and only two BGE dealers in STL twenty years ago have both gone out of business.  Now there are easily two dozen of them.  Only one of them tries to pull that "you didn't buy it from me" crap, but the store down the street welcomes those customers with open arms.
  • tcracing
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that Pinch a Penny will not get any more of my money. I thought it was BS, but I wanted to get a concensus from the forum. This is my first warranty on my eggs.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    What will put the icing on it for you is to have corporate call them and remind them that they are not permitted to upcharge for warranty service. 

Unless they are (which I can't imagine)
  • tcracing
    Options
    I will find out when I talk to Bruce Monday or Tuesday.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tcracing said:
    You bought an egg from him and he still doing this ****?  Oh boy I would show my ass. And I would sit in the parking lot and wait til he had other customers to do it. 
    He didn't buy it there. Please leave the "ass-showing" to the professionals. @sgh

tcracing said:

Am I misunderstanding?  

He didn't buy this egg from this dealer. He got it as a gift from his man I didnt even see that he HAD bought another egg from this place though This is even worse than I thought.  Hell, I don't even buy lump from my guy and he takes care of me like a champ. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Kamado Joe would drop ship it to you free.  Just saying.   (I am a happy KJ and BGE owner)
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    I discovered a crack starting on my XL Platesetter right after the Christmas Prime Rib.
    Took a pic, gathered my receipt, went to the dealer that sold it, and 15 minutes later I walked out with a new platesetter. 

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    tcracing said:

tcracing said:

Am I misunderstanding?  

He didn't buy this egg from this dealer. He got it as a gift from his man I didnt even see that he HAD bought another egg from this place though This is even worse than I thought.  Hell, I don't even buy lump from my guy and he takes care of me like a champ. 
    Yeah I knew he didnt buy the one but he had bought an egg from the man. That was what would really piss me off. 

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hotch said:
    So is it the dealer that is putting on the N Florida EggFest?
    @NPHuskerFL Is this your dealer?
    @Hotch I believe BGE is part of the fest and this dealer located at CR210 Pinch A Penny is hosting the fest. As to the nuts and bolts to it all I'm not privy to that. & No it's not my normal dealer. But, I'd happily do business with them. Truthfully my dealer has always been Hagan Ace Hardware in Orange Park...partly because of their proximity to my home and was where i did the egg demos. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Total BS
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tcracing
    Options
    Still no comment from @The_Buffalo.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have heard of dealers charging for warranty part replacement, if the shipment, is outside of a regular shipment. Maybe this guy thought he had discovered a gold mine, albeit a small one, if he applied the shipping and handling to all warranty work. 
    Lots of dealers out there, find one you can "deal" with. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thanks for the follow up!  Well played.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    The dealer I bought mine from closed and now I use a different dealer for any warranty claim. The only charge me $10 for shipping when I have something that needs to be replaced. They have my original receipt on file from the other dealer.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Crazy. I would use another dealer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    need to call

Not very good about answering calls or calling back as well. They tend to steer these issues back to the dealers in most cases in my experience. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tcracing said:
    Still no comment from @The_Buffalo.
    Honestly I've only been here for 3 years but I have not seen the Buffalo reply to anything work or warranty related. I don't think that is her area of expertise (it's gotta be a woman given how illogical and capricious some of the actions of the Buffalo can be

edit. The happy face indicating I was joking didn't come through. :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    tcracing said:
    Talked to Bruce today at BGE Headquarters, and he said that he never has heard of anyone else charging a handling fee. He said he didn't know if it was okay. All he told me to do is go to another dealer ( which I already have ). I called Pinch a Penny and told them to cancel my order for the firebox. I told them that I would never set foot in their store ever again. I also told them I would NEVER tell anyone to buy from them.
    But... did you tell them how you really feel? ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorry, a few months behind.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    tcracing said:
    Update. I've gotten my new firebox from Ace in Panama City. I also was contacted by the Florida distributor for BGE and he apologized for what Pinch a Penny was trying to do. I was also told that the distributor paid a visit to Pinch a Penny store, and he wanted to know what they were doing charging a handling fee. Needless to say that I will never set foot in there again. Ace will get all my business and my referrals. Thanks BGE, Bruce B, Ace, and the Distributor of Florida.
    Great outcome!  BGE needs good dealers.  With other competitors on their heels they cannot have this BS going on.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin