Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Poll - let's be honest

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    My BS detector just went berserk!   I was thinking maybe your bacon story was plausible UNTIL you mentioned you would rather have kale.  BZZZZZZ!  BOING!  HONK!
    @CarolinaQ - KALE?? over BACON?  Someone please go and check on him. 
    I didn't say I'd RATHER have kale. I said I'd just as soon have it. I suppose the distinction is lost on you folks though. =) Truth be told, I do eat a lot more kale than I do bacon. I'm fine with that. 

Couple of weeks ago, I saw a post on here where someone was extolling the virtues of the Wright brand of bacon. I had never heard of it, but the very next day, I saw some at the market and picked up a pound. I still haven't opened it. It costs more, but it looks great! Leanest bacon I've ever seen! Hopefully, I'll try some before it turns green.
    If it goes past the "sell by" date you better send it to me. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If it goes past the "sell by" date you better send it to me. 
    hahaha, or @stike.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, I only had five or six slices(maybe 7 or 8 counting QC.) and two or three pieces of steak and two eggs and only two pieces of toast with Kerry Irish, but they were small from the center of a boulle. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I'll cook a couple pounds at once and then store it rolled up in the grease soaked paper towels, that I used to drain it on in a gallon ziploc. 

And this is why I need a black stone. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    When I need to cook lots of bacon, I just cook it in a stock pot, 2-3 lbs at a time.  It's not straight, but it cooks perfectly, it's easy to capture more of the grease and when it's all curled up, it doesn't look like you're eating as much, so it seems healthier.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Keep slabs of it on hand and cut off as much as you want to eat... you just can't beat bacon! This is in my fridge now:

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Not many. 2-3 slices 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Well, I only had five or six slices(maybe 7 or 8 counting QC.) and two or three pieces of steak and two eggs and only two pieces of toast with Kerry Irish, but they were small from the center of a boulle. 
    From the center, lol.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Six slices? Seriously? I don't eat six slices in six MONTHS! Sometimes none at all. I buy a 1 lb package and as often as not, eventually throw about 1/3 of it in the trash because it turns green before I cook it.

A BLT gets two slices. I had one a couple of weeks ago, second one, I think, in about three years. Bacon and eggs, usually one slice, every few months. And that's all I ever do with it. Never had an ABT, never wrapped a bacon weave around anything and I don't often put it on a burger. I mostly cook it for the bacon grease, which I use when cooki beans or kale. Just a tablespoon or so per pound of veggies.

It's not that I don't like it, though I have to say I really don't much care. I'd just as soon have a slice of chicken breast. Or some kale. 
    Kale??? Flavorless chicken boob???
    Crack kills much faster than bacon.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It gets to bacon at the end. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bhP14neXJs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'll eat as much as I cook. 

I think ill cook some tonight. 
    Make bacon bits.....u can eat a lot more that way!
    Great tip.  I do this too, with the leftovers, if any remain.  Nice to have around for sure.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Where's @henapple when you need him to defend the rightful place of honor for bacon???   (Inside track - he may be wrestling with PBR's).  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Options
    Hipsters don't mess around, they shotgun the PBR. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wow. I'm a lightweight. I'll cook two slices with fried eggs on Sat. mornings. When I make baked beans or charro beans I'll add 2-3 slices chopped up. When I do dove appetizers each bird gets 1/2 a slice. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A man should not desecrate bacon in this manner. It's just wrong. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I cooked 10 strips this AM with breakfast. 

SWMBO and I ate 1 each while I cooked the omelets. Then we ate 3 each with the omelets. 

I can't remember what happened to the other two......urp! 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    While camping on a family vacation in Balmorrhea, TX we took the last 3 packages of bacon out of the cooler at the small local grocery store. It fed 4 of us for breakfast. The next night we decided we wanted to sample the local cuisine so we went to the hamburger joint in town. We asked for bacon burgers. We were informed that wouldn't be possible because someone had bought all the bacon in town the day before. True story. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Yup. Sundays bacon n egg day. My son eats a piece or two. Same with the wife. Thank God my daughters too young to eat it so I take care of the rest. Im really thinking of making my own bacon soon. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    While camping on a family vacation in Balmorrhea, TX we took the last 3 packages of bacon out of the cooler at the small local grocery store. It fed 4 of us for breakfast. The next night we decided we wanted to sample the local cuisine so we went to the hamburger joint in town. We asked for bacon burgers. We were informed that wouldn't be possible because someone had bought all the bacon in town the day before. True story. 
    Now that is awesome---well done
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Foghorn said:
    Now that is awesome---well done
    ^^^^^^^+1 That's a cool story. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I always cook the full pound from store bought packs. 1.5 or 3#s if I have Wright bacon in the fridge. A pound goes in one breakfast quite easily. And there is always a use for a bit of bacon sitting there ready to go.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:
    I'm curious, how many strips of bacon do you usually eat in one sitting?

Out of fear of making myself sound like a slob, I'm going to quietly pass this one bye. 
    I eat it until its gone too!

Johns Creek, Georgia