Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Poll - let's be honest

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262

Ok, we all love bacon.  Somehow it's wired into male DNA.  If women ever truly understand this, they would rule the world.

When I cook bacon, I cook half a package, because it would be a waste to cook just a couple of strips.  I know my kid doesn't like bacon, but I still cook half a package.  Then of course I eat all of it, because - who refrigerates cooked bacon?  So as i sit here, very satisfied having had a terrific breakfast, I wonder - do others eat this much bacon?  Do some eat even more?

I'm curious, how many strips of bacon do you usually eat in one sitting?

Phoenix 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    If I ate as much bacon as you then I'd weight a ton and swish bacon grease out my eyelids when I blinked, so I know your are kidding us. For breakfast once a week I'll have 2 slides and for an occasional BLT sandwich I splurge and enjoy 4 slices. BTW  don't you like cold bacon as a snack? Really? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
    I'm curious, how many strips of bacon do you usually eat in one sitting?

Out of fear of making myself sound like a slob, I'm going to quietly pass this one bye. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I will eat bacon until it is all gone. If cooking for myself, 4 slices, if others are eating bacon I purposely cook too much to make sure I get more than my fair share. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I love bacon, too.   I would love to rule the world, if that's all it takes!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    It should be noted that any bacon eaten during the cooking process does not go toward your consumption count. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blasting
    Options
    RRP said:
    If I ate as much bacon as you then I'd weight a ton and swish bacon grease out my eyelids when I blinked, so I know your are kidding us. For breakfast once a week I'll have 2 slides and for an occasional BLT sandwich I splurge and enjoy 4 slices. BTW  don't you like cold bacon as a snack? Really? 

Yes, I like cold bacon, but it never makes it to the fridge.  1/2 a pack, or six slices - that's my serving size.  That's why I don't make bacon every day.  It's like an addiction.

When I got my blackstone, after seasoning with onion, I went with two packages of bacon.  I didn't eat it all, but I did cheat death that evening.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    I love bacon, too.   

@Florida Grillin Girl If more women felt this way it would be dangerous.
    Phoenix 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    blasting said:
    I love bacon, too.   

Do you really know girls who don't like bacon?  I think it's a human thing more than a man thing. 
    We have bacon rarely but when we do I would have 4 or 5 slices. We cook a minimum of a lb but there are 6 of us and a lb isn't even close to enough. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I don't eat that much bacon straight-up but during football season I generally make around 30-40 ABT's per weekend (on average with home college games a double load) so that must help the cholesterol count.
    @DMW -  regarding the beer deal- after an around the clock (12 hour run) I lose count  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    DMW said:
    This question is like "How much beer do you drink on weekends?".

I refuse to answer either question...
    Why do you only want to drink beer on weekends!?!?!?  Two things always bought at the store, no matter how often one goes.....

1). Milk
    2). Beer

Can never have too much in this house. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    This question is like "How much beer do you drink on weekends?".

I refuse to answer either question...
    Why do you only want to drink beer on weekends!?!?!?  Two things always bought at the store, no matter how often one goes.....

1). Milk
    2). Beer

Can never have too much in this house. 
    I didn't say I only drank beer on weekends, only that I refuse to discuss the amount of beer I drink on weekends. :smiley:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    I cook the whole pack. Gotta have an appetizer before breakfast
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @Blasting - dangerous in a good way, I hope.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• blasting
    edited October 2016
    Options
    gmac said:
    blasting said:
    I love bacon, too.   

Do you really know girls who don't like bacon?  

I don't know any women that are obsessed with bacon as men.  As a devote bachelor, I'm not sure I'd want to.  A woman with a love of bacon and BBQ could very possibly end my 13 year run.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    @Blasting - dangerous in a good way, I hope.

Absolutely!
    Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    I generally only eat bacon when making a BLT or ABT's.

For a BLT I'll cook a whole pack at a time, in the oven. Chef's tester strip always gets eaten while plating the pile of bacon.

Five or six strips on my BLT, 4 or 5 for my wife. Remaining strips go into the fridge which will usually end up crumbled in salads in the next day or two.

While I WANT to eat a whole pack of bacon at a go I haven't actually done that in a few decades. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'll eat as much as I cook. 

I think ill cook some tonight. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    1lb foodsaver packs.  Usually cook it all.  

And try to rotate CI pans used to season. Always save the Berkshire grease, a food group in this kitchen.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Six slices? Seriously? I don't eat six slices in six MONTHS! Sometimes none at all. I buy a 1 lb package and as often as not, eventually throw about 1/3 of it in the trash because it turns green before I cook it.

A BLT gets two slices. I had one a couple of weeks ago, second one, I think, in about three years. Bacon and eggs, usually one slice, every few months. And that's all I ever do with it. Never had an ABT, never wrapped a bacon weave around anything and I don't often put it on a burger. I mostly cook it for the bacon grease, which I use when cooki beans or kale. Just a tablespoon or so per pound of veggies.

It's not that I don't like it, though I have to say I really don't much care. I'd just as soon have a slice of chicken breast. Or some kale. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Six slices? Seriously? I don't eat six slices in six MONTHS! Sometimes none at all. I buy a 1 lb package and as often as not, eventually throw about 1/3 of it in the trash because it turns green before I cook it.

A BLT gets two slices. I had one a couple of weeks ago, second one, I think, in about three years. Bacon and eggs, usually one slice, every few months. And that's all I ever do with it. Never had an ABT, never wrapped a bacon weave around anything and I don't often put it on a burger. I mostly cook it for the bacon grease, which I use when cooki beans or kale. Just a tablespoon or so per pound of veggies.

It's not that I don't like it, though I have to say I really don't much care. I'd just as soon have a slice of chicken breast. Or some kale. 
    My BS detector just went berserk!   I was thinking maybe your bacon story was plausible UNTIL you mentioned you would rather have kale.  BZZZZZZ!  BOING!  HONK!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    I have a bacon, egg, sourdough toast and V-8 breakfast every morning.  Two slices, regular-cut and not thick-cut.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    I'll cook a couple pounds at once and then store it rolled up in the grease soaked paper towels, that I used to drain it on in a gallon ziploc. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I don't eat bacon that often because I don't eat breakfast that often. But when I do I typically eat at least a dozen slices - like I did this morning at a work breakfast meeting with a breakfast buffet. I also had 4 sausage patties...

When end my son and I go camping we usually cook a 24 ounce pack for the two of us and I eat 3/4 of it. 

If I eat out for breakfast I get frustrated with the small bacon portions so I usually get sausage instead. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @CarolinaQ - KALE?? over BACON?  Someone please go and check on him.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Bacon is not allowed in our house unless it has a preordained destination. With 3 boys and a total of 5 very experienced bacon foragers, a lpound of bacon is like a figment of your imagination. We had good company the other weekend and I had to cook a lb first as bait and then cooked 2 more lbs to feed the whole crew. I got 2 pieces out of the whole thing.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My BS detector just went berserk!   I was thinking maybe your bacon story was plausible UNTIL you mentioned you would rather have kale.  BZZZZZZ!  BOING!  HONK!
    @CarolinaQ - KALE?? over BACON?  Someone please go and check on him. 
    I didn't say I'd RATHER have kale. I said I'd just as soon have it. I suppose the distinction is lost on you folks though. =) Truth be told, I do eat a lot more kale than I do bacon. I'm fine with that. 

Couple of weeks ago, I saw a post on here where someone was extolling the virtues of the Wright brand of bacon. I had never heard of it, but the very next day, I saw some at the market and picked up a pound. I still haven't opened it. It costs more, but it looks great! Leanest bacon I've ever seen! Hopefully, I'll try some before it turns green.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It had to happen 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I'll eat as much as I cook. 

I think ill cook some tonight. 
    Make bacon bits.....u can eat a lot more that way!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I limit how much I cook because I have no bacon willpower 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.