Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My trailer smoker has started being built!

Options

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's impressive.  How did that affect customer flow onto your lot?  Or did you do it while you were closed?
    It's funny. Most people thought I was actually cooking something!  It was first thing this morning so there weren't many people there yet. Parking lot smelled great!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy Sir, you see like you are having a great time. Congratulations. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's impressive.  How did that affect customer flow onto your lot?  Or did you do it while you were closed?
    It's funny. Most people thought I was actually cooking something!  It was first thing this morning so there weren't many people there yet. Parking lot smelled great!

Morning bacon on the offset is a pretty great thing.  My son and I start the day with it when we decide to cook on our offset.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:

Morning bacon on the offset is a pretty great thing.  My son and I start the day with it when we decide to cook on our offset.
    I've been thinking about just throwing a bacon weave on by itself. I made some abts that only needed about 2/3 of a piece of bacon and cut the whole block off at the 2/3 point. I took the remaining bacon block and covered it in rub and smoked it. It was good but needed to crisp up.  I'm going to lay some bacon out and just smoke it next time. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Thatgrimguy Sir, you see like you are having a great time. Congratulations. 
    I really am. I love this thing! And so far all I have really played with is the main chamber. I have hardly done any grilling in the vertical. I'm really excited to play with that. I also haven't fired up any of the propane accessories. I'm having some trouble with it that will hopefully get straightened out Wednesday. I'm stopping in Tuscaloosa on my way to Auburn (competing in Boda Getta this weekend) to pick up another sign and mount my bottle openers.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    So, when you cook in the horizontal (main) chamber and the vertical at the same time can you independently control temperature and make each chamber whatever temp you want?  As opposed to the typical offset like I own where the vertical chamber is downwind (for lack of a better word) from the horizontal chamber and tends to run 75-100 degrees cooler?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'll take some pictures tomorrow. But I have a baffle going from the main chamber into the vertical and directly from the firebox into the vertical. So I do have complete control over the temp in the vertical separate from the main chamber. There is also a charcoal pan in the vertical for running charcoal or direct cooking with splits.

If I close the main chamber stack and open the baffle into the vertical and run all the smoke through it. It seems to run about 75 degrees under the main chamber like yours. But I can route more heat by opening the baffle direct from the firebox below.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That thing is like the coolest thing ever.  I want one.
    Options
    This is an absolutely phenomenal thread from the very beginning. The best is yet to present itself. You are good man with a very well designed cooking machine, which you used to help others. Means a lot to me. I try to do 2 butts at a time these days. 1 for my family and friends, and the other goes to the homeless shelters around town. It isn't much, but is is something.
    Rock on dude. I appreciate what you do.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank you @YukonRon  I really appreciate that! Hopefully I can keep passing on the blessings I've been lucky enough to get in my life.  
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Where are you staying in Auburn, @Thatgrimguy? I assume you're taking the RV. I grew up in Auburn, and we always camp at Chewacla State Park in our motorhome when we go visit my dad. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I love coming back to this thread over and over, such a cool rig and story.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Where are you staying in Auburn, @Thatgrimguy? I assume you're taking the RV. I grew up in Auburn, and we always camp at Chewacla State Park in our motorhome when we go visit my dad. 
    University Station RV Resort is where the event is being held. I'll be staying there in the motorhome!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I agree with all....I have enjoyed the exploits of the build, the crisis (well concern here), the repairs, the drunk crash.....and your many cooks. You keep having fun and sharing your gifts and talents. You truly get more Benifits out of giving than you do receiving in my book. Carry on.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lookin forward to seeing the beast in action at the NC Butt blast!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank ya'll!!  I really do appreciate it.  

Here are some pics from the competition this weekend. We took home 9th in Chicken and 3rd in people's choice. So we heard our name called twice. It was a field of some real pros. We felt good overall about our performance. It was BY FAR the smoothest comp we have done. Working with the Shirley is so much easier than the 2 UDS we were competing with. 

I have to change everything from my egg methods.  I had no bark on the brisket and too much on the butts. The culprit on the brisket was holding it in au jus to add another flavor level. I have been having trouble holding brisket in my cambro. Seems like I ruin every brisket I put in there.

I need to start wrapping the butts when they hit the color I want. I may experiment with butcher paper on butts like I'm doing with brisket. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This shall be deemed totally cool!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    2 Briskets, 4 butts and 5 racks of ribs and it still kind of looks empty
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    2 Briskets, 4 butts and 5 racks of ribs and it still kind of looks empty
    That is one amazing piece of equipment. Congrats on the results.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Strong work. 

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    simply awesome. You are living sir!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    HOLY COW IT FITS!!!!  By less than a half inch I might add.  I didn't think it would go. And I was able to put it in here with my golf cart! This is a HUGE win for me. I have been keeping it at the dealership and so I've not had access for weeknights for fear of rain.  I assumed my golf cart would get squished or just not move when I hooked it up... But I had the trailer at the house after comp last weekend. And then Monday we sold the truck I was driving. So, short of using the motorhome to bring it home today before it rains I had to figure something out!

I'm so happy this fit! Just had to share.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Brother Grim that was meant to be to fit in there perfectly!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Some things are just meant to be Brother Grimm.

Now about the fryer, what's up with it?

I thought we would see some deep fried goodness by now?

Bologna cubes, nice catfish filets, a few shrimp, cream corn hushpuppies or just fry up a handful of rippers (hot dogs) and fries?

Wings are nice!! I'm just say'n, if you got the horse power hit the pedal!!!

Maybe this will help.

Deep Fried Rum Shooters with a  warm Rum Caramel Sauce

Did I get your attention? lol =)

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well the long and short of it is that none of my propane accessories are working right. I went to Tuscaloosa to get it fixed last weekend but that was a flop. Got there at 2:15pm and dropped off the trailer. Texted at 6 to see how it was going to find out they thought I was staying in town (I was waiting in a piggly wiggly parking lot) and didn't do anything to the trailer before leaving for the day. I needed to get to comp in Auburn and couldn't wait around all morning while they did the work so I got my trailer and left.

I need to put some regulators on the lines and I have one hose with a leak (pretty sure it was collateral damage in the wreck) I may go to my local propane company and get it fixed there. I'm a little frustrated TBH. But I know the shirleys have and are doing a lot to get it all perfect so I'm trying to be patient.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The trailer has been performing well. The smoker is incredible. And, I got all the propane issues worked out but still can't get the Fryer working. It can't draw enough air as a result of the modifications to the exhaust.

This issue I am having is keeping air in one of the tires.  That, combined with the warnings of BBQ forum friends and Comp friends to get a 2nd axle has won me over. I dropped the trailer off in Tuscaloosa this weekend and won't get her back for a month to knock out this checklist

- Double Axle
    - Mount the Pig Faced bottle openers (2)
    - Mount a 2nd Guild's Grocery Sign
    - Yellow paint will be covered over with Line-x Premium (temp resistant to 350 degrees)
    - Remove tankless water heater (I'm on my 2nd one and it's now broken too... I guess it can't handle the rattling) I'm going to mount my Carlisle in it's place.

I'm also thinking of removing the Burner next to the water heater and mounting a Broil-King Keg there. I could bake bread and do green egg type things in there and then truly have everything on the trailer. 

• Thatgrimguy
    edited May 2016
    Options
     And some pictures of the completed lighting.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I just saw that Shirley was taking deposits for January delivery. Wowzer. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I just saw that Shirley was taking deposits for January delivery. Wowzer. 
    The wait is HARD. And expensive. Too much time to come up with more stuff to add.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

Just finished the line-x process and now it's just a matter of putting it all back together. I'm hoping to pick it up Saturday!

There is a video on my FB page (don't need to have a facebook account to view it) of it right before getting sprayed. Looked like hell! 
    https://www.facebook.com/GuildsGrocery/