Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chance to buy some commercial bakery equipment

Options
I have a chance to buy all this equipment for under $10k.  Between this and the shirley I'd only need a few more things and I could start a restaurant nearly with no debt.  I'm not really sure I'm ready to open a restaurant but it's funny how everything happens at certain times. I've been in a very tumultuous time of my life and then this falls in my lap just a few months after getting a catering sized smoker rig.  

The gentlemen that owned it all is a 85 year old Navy Captain. He is a German by birth and the military/german personality shows in the care he took for this equipment. He used it to bake bread for the navy ships that would dock at our Port from time to time.

Any comments on the brands or quality of what's here I'd be interested. The only thing I'm familiar with is the Hobart Mixer which I know is extremely high quality.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Grim, Blodgett is about as good as it gets my friend. This may be a blessing in disguise my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Zero expertise Scott, but as you know the Hobart is amazing.  Good luck with everything my friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I don't know shît from shinola, but the timing is very intriguing. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    The name Blodgett rings a bell, though I have no opinion on quality.  One feature that high end bread ovens have is steam injection.  You might ask if this oven has that feature

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Opportunity is knocking. You're gonna crush it.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    If I did something like this I'd have to find a sure enough trained head baker.  Bread baker friend is pretty inconsistent.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I thought he was your "partner "
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I thought he was your "partner "
    Just my bread mistress.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Very neat Scott and impeccable timing. Fresh bread with some amazing Q to accompany it. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Good looking equipment !!!  Whatever you decide I am sure you will be successful.. You're a stand up guy. Best of luck Scott..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Jump on it!  That Blodgett is bulletproof!  One of the best ovens made and the size is great.  I haven't seen one that's that size in many years.  I've seen one drawer units and 6-10 drawer units, but not a 3 in many years.

and that mixer is a beast as well.  I see a Grocery Guild rub operation coming out of that thing as a bonus!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    They all breakdown periodically like everything mechanical & electrical. I worked on an oven almost identical to that model a few years ago when I still did the hot side. The one I repaired was damn near 78 y.o. and still kicking.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    If I do this, I'll do it in NOLA. They don't have any decent BBQ. (the joint sucks)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    sent pm
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Those Blodgett deck ovens are the standard for the pizza industry. Run forever, not much can go wrong with them. Still worth 4K
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It is a very tough business to be in. You have to have a passion for food.....which I know you do. That said, it is hard to make good money and have a good quality of life.....(time) with your wife and children. Just something please consider....I spent many years in restaurant operations....I had some great times.....That said....chase your dreams, but make sure you know what your priorities are.

My apologies if I sound like a dad on this one. Not my intention. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    It is a very tough business to be in. You have to have a passion for food.....which I know you do. That said, it is hard to make good money and have a good quality of life.....(time) with your wife and children. Just something please consider....I spent many years in restaurant operations....I had some great times.....That said....chase your dreams, but make sure you know what your priorities are.

My apologies if I sound like a dad on this one. Not my intention. 
    Remember that Scott is in the car business. That's no walk in the park when it comes to quality of life with the family etc. I do get and respect what your point is though.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2016
    Options

Sorry Blake I don't mean to be negative here....folks don't need to find out the hard way how tough it is in that business. Don't get me wrong....it put food on my table for many years. I just hope anyone who dreams of owning their own restaurant....understand the benefits and drawbacks they will incur going in. You don't want to be kicking yourself later. It is important to talk to folks who own them....Make an informed decision....that is all I am suggesting. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Chase your dreams. As with everything, there are sacrifices to be made. Manage them as best you can and go with it. Keep what is important focused as part of the plan.
    Those ovens are legit. You will be successful. You have desire and ambition, and doing it in NOLA, might be difficult initially, it is a foodie type town, but your cooks and passion for it is unmatched.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    If I did something like this I'd have to find a sure enough trained head baker.  Bread baker friend is pretty inconsistent.
    But entertaining...
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    Options
    If I do this, I'll do it in NOLA. They don't have any decent BBQ. (the joint sucks)
    That's telling it like it is about NOLA in general and The Joint in particular.  No idea how they got - or keep - their rep. 
    New Orleans LA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll throw this out there too- I have a Winston CVAP holding oven I bought from craigslist when I thought I was opening a bbq trailer last year. I came to my senses and backed out. I have $350 in it and need to move it. Winston and Alto Sham are the 2 standard holding ovens for BBQ restaurants. They are $4000 new. I gotta get it out of the garage so best offer gets it. If you want to hold bbq for service, there is no better way than a CVAP.

Come get it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm with @northgGAcock,

Expenses for the building, tight margins, long hours, holidays, metro trend swings, difficulties finding good staff at that wage, and having to deal with the health dept, are enough to squash my foodie wet dreams.   The last one alone is enough to crush actually.  Huge cajones is what it takes at these steaks, when buying in at this table.  I have the utmost respect for the peeps all in, following their passion/hobby.  I am planning something similar for the near future.  Low risk, high reward in marijuana, hop, Berkshire farming and dildo manufacturing.

Several long time, what I thought were successful family run restaurants, have closed up shop recently.  Much of that is due to stress on the family, or current generations being smart with prioritization, although many of the old timers will call it laziness or selfishness.

The equipment looks great, and maintained.  I have seen Blodgett decks at many QC pizza joints.  Your dough will have to play to that sub NewYorker 500s-600s style tune.

Don't need to expound on the Hobart.  Get a manual online of your model.  I know one model I was looking at, the bread forum guys had some issues.  It wasn't the one you have pictured, it was a smaller model, A-120 if I recall.  Search the net, these tanks have been around.
    12 qt is too small for commercial.  20 qt and up is where I would want to be.  Pretty much the standard at the smaller, local pizza joints.

Good luck man, wish you the best in whatever you choose.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Good luck!  My only word of advice is make sure you have good employees and insurance.

We had a fabulous local baker.  Great glutton free items too.  Well, one of her employees stole all of her equipment and sold it.

She didn't have enough insurance to rebuy the equipment  (or the heart to try again) and she closed.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    After going to see the equipment in person I knew it was way too much for me. I'm going to keep cooking as a charity thing and keep it small. Thanks for all the advice.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Congrats on you thoughtful approach to this.  Well done.  It's always good to look thoughtfully at opportunities.  If one presents itself at what is truly the right time, then you are ready to pounce and the previous information gives you the knowledge and confidence to make the move.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Dang!  I was hoping to see that bread oven on the grocery cart!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Blue Oak BBQ is new and pretty good.  Walker's isn't bad either, though it's kind of a hike, and it doesn't necessarily have all of the traditional dishes.  Good cochon de lait, though.
    NOLA
  • Dondgc
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Blue Oak BBQ is new and pretty good.  Walker's isn't bad either, though it's kind of a hike, and it doesn't necessarily have all of the traditional dishes.  Good cochon de lait, though.
    I have heard good things about Blue Oak but they were closed the only time I tried to go there.  Will have to try again.
    New Orleans LA