Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, my BGE adventure is off to a terrible start

Options

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    johnl350 said:
    EggNorth said:
    Ok, I need to ask, what is that cooking on the grill?
    @THEBuckeye I have to ask the same. Are you smoking sticks?
    It's actually pimento wood for Jerk. Jamaicans claim if you're not cooking on pimento it's not authentic jerk. I'll use (and re-use) the pimento sticks for show but just using pimento chips will provide the taste and color.

Got them at www.pimentowood.com. Only place (other than Jamaica) I could find the pimento products. Check it out (no affiliation, just a customer). 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    You and I know John Hall and I know that it will get taken care of unfortunately not in the manor that you or I would have had we been the dealer.
    Agreed, John is A#1 & I'm sure if it were up to him none of us would've ever even heard of this incident because it would've been handled correctly.  Following more than a decade of observing issues surrounding replacement parts I'm just amazed that a company as successful as BGE hasn't figured out a way to have uniformity in the way these things are handled.  Other companies can do it so we know it's not impossible.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    After the dome shattered late Sunday, I tried to search the internet to see what caused it and if it happened often. I didn't find much and nothing in reference to eggfest. I got approved to post on the forum the day before, so knowing there was a wealth of knowledge here, I thought I might be able to get some advice on where to start trying to get it fixed. My intent wasn't to point fingers at anyone, just wanted to find out how to get up and running. I feel like things are moving in the right direction. I am grateful to those on the forum who have made some contacts on my behalf to help get the ball rolling. I will certainly update everyone with the good news once we're cooking and give credit where credit is due.
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Lit said:
    egret said:
    It would be helpful if everyone would just kind of back off on this. The dealer is very reputable and goes overboard to satisfy a customer......I know this and I'm the one that got this dealership started, so their reputation is quite good; trust me on this! This will be taken care of, the distributor makes the dealer go through the process by the book. 
    I live about an hour south so I am guessing the same distributor. When I emailed my cracked XL base pic to Roswell Hardware I got a response in under 5 minutes that I could pick up my new base. This is an obvious issue here that the OP was told this is their issue since they took the egg home. With all the money HH makes from this event they should have covered it without warranty approval even if they have to write it off in the end. 
    Just wondering how you know how much money HH made on the fest? In fact do you really have any idea how much any BGE dealer makes on any egg sale? I'm talking about hard facts here, just for arguments sake lets say 10% and in the business world 10% after all expense's involved 10% is a very good profit for any business. So if the end price of a large egg is $800.00 10% is $80.00. So are they really making a killing and walking away from the problem I don't think so, will it take some time to get the customer a replacement dome yes it will but the new free dome will arrive and all will be well. I'm an Electrical Contractor and have for many years lived with people thinking that I'm making a killing just because I charge $125.00 for the first hour service call, I challenge anyone to go get all the insurance, trucks, office space, phone service, maintenance on trucks/tool and equipment, electric for the office, phone service, gas for the trucks, the customers that some times just don't pay! Yes I make money but a killing well not so much. I would be very surprised if they were making 10% in the end after the cost of business. Stay tuned for updates and a happy ending.

I actually got my parents large egg from a friend for cost. He sold it to them for $669 with nest and mates so yes they are making out pretty good when they sell 100 in a day. I was also referring to the $50,000 in ticket sales that the fest did. No matter if they make money or lose money telling someone they signed for it and its theirs is crap. Not sure how you could argue any other way unless you are just trying to argue.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Be sure and take a torque wrench with you as a token of gratitude!   =)

Little Rock, AR

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Good to hear everything worked out.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    As above, glad it was finally resolved.  Now on to better things.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    So, by Sunday we'll see some pics of your first cook?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Get your meat in the fridge and get it prepped for the cook. No time to delay.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Staygold said:
    I got a call from Hiawassee Hardware today. They got approval to replace my dome for me. I'll be taking my base to them this weekend and let them install the new dome. I hope to have a fire burning Saturday evening! I appreciate the hoops that they jumped through to make it happen for me in just a couple of days. Also, thank you again to everyone here who offered advice, support and even pulled some strings to get me cooking. I can't wait to see the smoke!!
    quick (possibly stupid) question:  were the bolts connecting the ends of the hinge/dome band tightened enough that they were bent?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Imagine had it been the Base? :o
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    WHOOHOOO!  Congrats & enjoy your egg.  And...you definitely need to post pics of your first cook.

PS - You need to buy @bgebrent a beer or (3).
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Glad it worked out for you.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's great brother!  Glad to hear it!!  You surely must post your inaugural cook.

@nhk19, appreciate that brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Nice to hear there's a happy ending. Enjoy the new egg. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well sounds like the ship got righted-good deal. Now we can get down to the business of important stuff--cooking
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Awesome news. Enjoy your cooks this weekend!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Congrats and I thought it would work out this way. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What the Don's saying, is that HH employee "sleeps with the fishes" of Chatuge.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jim....did you have the hiccups last night?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

I'm confused!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    Options

I'm confused!

It could be Robin that's confused... ;)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

I'm confused!

Teasing you about your double post (I think). 

Little Rock, AR

• Jupiter Jim
    Options

I'm confused!

Thanks! I have a defective key board! :

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    Options

I'm confused!

Thanks! I have a defective key board! :
    It's got sticky keys from bourbon slushies. ;)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like this has been resolved in an eggcellent manner. Good on you, @egret

And happy egging, @Staygold :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.