Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Gai Yang" (kinda) Thai Street Chicken

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
This is a riff off of Thai street chicken. We are cooking this up for Austin Eggfest this weekend. Was damn tasty. The charred bits of fatty salty chicken were killer and the sauce (Jaew) is the secret "sauce" if you will. Dry chili's, lime, tamarind, sugar, shallot and fish sauce. Garnished with pickled fresh cucumber and carrot, fresh lime juice, and mint and then dusted with toasted rice powder to finish. Boom. 

Hope the fest-goers are feeling adventurous. If it's anything like the last few this may be the only thing served at the fest that is not wrapped in bacon :)

Pics are crappy because we were just tweaking the recipe but I think we have it. Good enough for a 500 of our closest friends at a fest anyway. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sounds and looks seriously delicious!  Love Thai, thanks for sharing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • russellds
    Options
    That looks amazing!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Yes please!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a puppy with two peters to me brother Tex. Mighty fine looking grub for sure. Those folks are in for a real treat. I wish the fest was the following weekend.  I will be down in Port Isabel Texas that weekend for some impulse testing. I would sure make the trek up to see y'all. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Looks delicious, thank you for posting. Great info for me to try.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a puppy with two peters to me brother Tex. 

Just about spit my beer out on that one! Looks fantastic @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a puppy with two peters to me brother Tex. Mighty fine looking grub for sure. Those folks are in for a real treat. I wish the fest was the following weekend.  I will be down in Port Isabel Texas that weekend for some impulse testing. I would sure make the trek up to see y'all. 
    Impulse testing has always gotten me in the most trouble :)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll post the recipe once we have it fully dialed in. We are close. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tease.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Tease.
    I always give it up in the end. I just want to make sure it's special. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks promising.  Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll get it dialed in perfectly, knowing you.  If you know any Thai, have them taste test.  Or take it to a Thai restaurant - tell them you're opening one across the street.  The more they hate it, the more you're on the right track.
    Options
    Sounds like a winner. Presentation looks like it will be solid too. 

Now post the damn recipe! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks promising.  Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll get it dialed in perfectly, knowing you.  If you know any Thai, have them taste test.  Or take it to a Thai restaurant - tell them you're opening one across the street.  The more they hate it, the more you're on the right track.
    This is definitely not authentic but the underlying flavors are there. The Jaew is what we have been working on for the better part of a year but I think we have that pretty damn close. The yardbird is pretty simple

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks damn good!  Seems you've done justice to this street dish. Nice work bud. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks great & love all the flavors . . salt/sweet/spice then fresh with mint/etc.  I Gotta Try !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very nice... Love the combo of flavors 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    just printed off cooks illustrated version as reference . . I like how yours sauce has tamarind (I bought some over a year ago and never used) . . so going to add as well.  Did the toasted rice powder add much?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    just printed off cooks illustrated version as reference . . I like how yours sauce has tamarind (I bought some over a year ago and never used) . . so going to add as well.  Did the toasted rice powder add much?
    The toasted rice powder is the secret ingredient. It's super easy to make and it leaves a huge void without it. You can't make Jaew without toasted rice powder anyway. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Lettuce wraps done with egged meat. This I want to try. Nice!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'm going to hunt you down saturday ;)

I bought $6 street/skewer grill in China a couple years back, six inches wide.  Fun for this style, and yakatori, etc.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks great. When/where is the Austin fest??
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    saturday. Come cook with us.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I bought $6 street/skewer grill in China a couple years back, six inches wide.  Fun for this style, and yakatori, etc.
    come on. bring beer.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

come on. bring beer.

Will do! I'll bring some adelbert's I've been bragging about - -- 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

come on. bring beer.

Will do! I'll bring some adelbert's I've been bragging about - -- 

The bragging is justified.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    It's out at Camp Ben McCullough in Driftwood. Right across from the original Salt lick. Lots of good wineries and breweries out there too. we were going to go to the fest last year and just ended up going to the Salt Lick and drinking a bunch of wine instead. It was a good day.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Looking forward to this!  Please include instructions for toasted rice powder..  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2016
    Options
    smbishop said:

Looking forward to this!  Please include instructions for toasted rice powder..  :)
    That I can do now. take a handful of uncooked rice and toast it over med high in a dry skillet, shaking and moving it around often. It will start to brown up and get fragrant after just a few minutes. Once it's a light tan and starting to smell toasty (like 2 minutes), take it off the heat and grind in a spice grinder.  You can also rough chop it, smash it with a flat knife blade, smash it with the bottom of a yeti rambler, or any other number of things to change the coarseness of the grind. I use a little powder and some rough chop for texture. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you so much, will make some this weekend!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I am giving this another standing ovation. Rock star!