Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Waiting for my flight to ATL to finish boarding.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'll give this thread a bump. Had to go back 5 pages to find it.

Sometimes you take things for granted. As simple as not having a dryer for 10 days. Man we really do have things easy. A machine that drys you clothes and all you need to do is push a button. I kind of feel guilty for thinking it was a hassle. Anyways, the dryer started to rumble last week to the point it was annoying. With me being a cheap sob I did a little research on it. Two new drum rolling wheels, idler wheel, and a new belt for good measure. Grand total of $22. Now I don't have to hear my wife do laundry! ;) (I get yelled at when I do laundry. Apparently you can't mix colors) I should have some meat money leftover now!

My first thought was you've modified a dryer to run on a PTO....  Good job fixing.  There's not too much that's insurmountable to fix for a determined cheap skate (I'm the poster child for this).
    edited April 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    Handles are on.  Sturdy, clean look.  Not bad for 15 bucks.  Cover still fits.  Was a little tricky with the drill wanting to walk on the rounded porcelain.  Had to start small, and work my way up to 1/4" with 3 bits.  No chips.

I put casters on the legs of my 10 year old WSM last summer. Wish I had done that 9 years ago.

Might have to put on side handles like yours. Looks "handy".
    Thanks @HeavyG,

You gotta get an Unknown BBQ Hinge.  50 bucks.  A game changer.  Put one on Black Betty, and my 18 today.  Two full blown procedures, but worth it.

Sams had backs on sale for the Hawks game 7.  Chigger Creek lump, JD barrel chunks, and Trader Joe BBQ rub that was gifted.  

And put it on the left left left, since I'm a righty, for the 18.

Whoa Black Betty, bam-bah-lam
    She's always ready, bam-bah-lam

She's all rock steady, bam-bah-lam

Really gets me high, bam-bah-lam

GO BLACKHAWKS, BAM-BAH-LAM!!!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Focker said:
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    Handles are on.  Sturdy, clean look.  Not bad for 15 bucks.  Cover still fits.  Was a little tricky with the drill wanting to walk on the rounded porcelain.  Had to start small, and work my way up to 1/4" with 3 bits.  No chips.

I put casters on the legs of my 10 year old WSM last summer. Wish I had done that 9 years ago.

Might have to put on side handles like yours. Looks "handy".
    Thanks @HeavyG,

You gotta get an Unknown BBQ Hinge.  50 bucks.  A game changer.  Put one on Black Betty, and my 18 today.  Two full blown procedures, but worth it.

Sams had backs on sale for the Hawks game 7.  Chigger Creek lump, JD barrel chunks, and Trader Joe BBQ rub that was gifted.  

And put it on the left left left, since I'm a righty, for the 18.

I put one of those hinges on my kettle. Very nice. Probably should get one for the WSM also.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Best ribs I've Q'd in a while.  No need for sauce.  That TJ's rub is legit.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wow, that first pic looks great! The ribs look pretty skimpy in the second pic. I can't see hardly any meat on the bones?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wow, that first pic looks great! The ribs look pretty skimpy in the second pic. I can't see hardly any meat on the bones?
    Thanks buddy.  We couldn't wait on the green beans and baked taters.  Started slicing with my Grandpa's knife and handing out.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Thanks buddy.  We couldn't wait on the green beans and baked taters.  Started slicing with my Grandpa's knife and handing out.  =)
    I don't blame you one bit. Those look killer! Yum!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Im fixing to attempt building a dedicated cheese smoker out of a 55 gallon plastic drum. May the Smoker Gods be merciful.  

If this works and becomes a commercial success, please remember that you saw it here first.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Snapped this pic on my ride home this afternoon. He is not having a good day at all. 

If you look real close you can see a shattered BGE.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The braves are turrible. That is all. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Y'all talking about Appliances.....  The thingy that holds that agitator on our washer broke.....  Wife thinks she's getting a new one. Nope. Literally a $6 part and 2 minutes later, it was fixed!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I like birds.
    Options
    I like birds.
    Agree. Fried quail is outstanding.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I like birds.
    Options

This gluten free thing has really gotten out of hand.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    Options
    But...is it cholesterol free?   ;)
    Options
    Acn said:

This gluten free thing has really gotten out of hand.

GLUTEN FREE DINNER! 

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2016
    Options
    About to do some bread on the XL. And drinking. Dough came out nice for a 2 Hr rise.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cold autolyse on a new sourdough I've been working on. Using a new(er) 100% hydration white whole wheat starter. Very active starter that I've yet to refrigerate and probably won't. My original starter is active & fed for the week in the refrigerator. I may for shits & grins mail out some portions to folks I've got addresses on.
    Pic below is from my last loaf. It pretty much sucked big time!  Stuck to the banneton causing the the skin to tear and all my hard work in the shitter. Decided to bake it anyways just to show not every cook or bake goes as planned. It was followed by some mild...oh okay extreme expletives and then a chuckle with a shrug. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Brown water fuel but below Low Earth Orbit.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @nolaegghead I like turtles :smirk:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Lit you may need more flour in your banneton. Sheesh man. Is that APF?  NOT :peace: trying to bust nuts but try a 50/50 brown rice flour & wholemeal flour in your basket. You'll use/need less. Also I use a Purdy 1"-1 1/2" brush to dust off the excess. Just some stuff I've picked up from some legit bakers. Nice loaf. Do you also add moisture to the egg for spring?  I know this greatly helps sourdough so it should assist on a commercial yeast too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @nphuskerfl I have been trying to figure out the right amount of flour for the banneton. That seemed about right it stuck a little in one place but came out pretty good. I have had it stick several times as I have been experimenting. Once it cools I just pat it in a couple places and most of it comes off. Not near as airy as the all day or overnight doughs but it's really good considering I can have a loaf cooked in 3 hours from start to finish. Gonna make our daughter some cheese toast in the morning. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looks good @Lit  The advice I shared was given to me by an experienced sourdough baker. With 70%-88% hydration, an overnight autolyse and then another cold ferment in the banneton it can be tricky to get the loaf to release without going crazy with flour. I'll update after this current loaf which is 80% hydration. And I agree...for only a 2 hr ferment that loaf looks nice. Good looking crumb. 
    My last failed loaf made some wildlife in the woods by my office happy. :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Waiting at the airport for the parking shuttle.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hope you had fun in our quaint little town.  Go home and get some rest bro, you deserve it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Hope you had fun in our quaint little town.  Go home and get some rest bro, you deserve it.
    Amen to that! And meet us in porkopolis
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky