Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egghead average age?

Options

Comments

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I'll be 62 in July.  My family got me a M for Christmas 2013.  I had never heard of them before then.  That's how much I was into BBQ.  Bought a XL just before New Years this year.  I now have the affliction.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I am 16.  Got my first egg as an embryo.  (wait, we are talking about maturity level, right?)
    In that case, I am 174.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    35.  Eggin for about 5 years now.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm 40 and got my first egg about a year ago. Got my MM for my 40th in September. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    68 and Egging for 9 years.  Seems more like 10 years
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    I've noticed the majority of eggheads aren't around my age. At least that's what it seems like. I attended the Salado Eggfest and I think I was 1 of the younger kamado enthusiasts. I just turned 25. I imagine everybody is usually older or retired, or at least a different generation.

I don't believe we met in Salado but I hope you were welcomed.  We may be older, and of another generation, but all of us are young at heart. We love our Eggs and having a good time. Ask for Spring Chicken or Spring Hen at your next eggfest as we would like to meet you. We enjoy the enthusiasm of young people.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    And aside from my ancient hibachi, I have an 8 yr old Lg BGE, still-standing, Weber Gasser, Weber Q, and a Weber Kettle!  Just one, big, happy, grillin' family!!~~
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I'll soon be 75 but I average about half that.  First Egg was in 1999.  Now have 5 (so far), plus a really cool outdoor kitchen, and been to about 75 Eggfests and Big Green Egg events around the country.  I also have over a hundred videos on YouTube, most of which are Big Green Egg related.  I'm not slowing down but I heard someone say at the recent Salado Eggfest that Spring Chicken is starting to look half fast.

Spring "Half Is Never Enough Of Anything" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    43. got a large 13 years ago. XL 2 years ago
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm 40 and have been egging for 8 yrs and counting 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

46 next month.  I'm surprised at all the younger guys.  I really thought I was in the younger half.  Crap.  And get the hell of my lawn!!

Phoenix 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    37. Went to my first eggfest when I was around 30. My wife was 25ish then and she made fun of me for liking to do old people things. Believe it or not the crowd is getting younger back then the people on the old forum were all in their 90's I think.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bought my first "smoker" when i was 35, I'm 48 now....
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    I'm 43.  It already sucks.  Can't imagine how you retired guys get around without throat punching random strangers all the time.  Oh wait a minute...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm 43. I bought an XL 4 years ago and the mini 3 years ago. 
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Fast93
    Fast93 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm 44 and made the best purchase of my life in March 2013.
    I'd never heard of a Big Green Egg until I read an article, The Incredible Egg, in Saveur magazine in July 2010, then we saw one at Offenbachers in Sterling, VA.  After my wife, it's the only other thing I fell in love with at first sight.  When we left NOVA, we left the gas grill there.  Bought a large BGE shortly after unpacking our boxes in BRLA.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Lit said:
    37. Went to my first eggfest when I was around 30. My wife was 25ish then and she made fun of me for liking to do old people things. Believe it or not the crowd is getting younger back then the people on the old forum were all in their 90's I think.
    Damn, you are correct. Always thought I was one of the young guys on the old forum. Yep, wrong about that as well
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

60/retired - Egg is 2 years old

Damn, all this time you've been telling my you're old. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    51, almost half way there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited March 2016
    Options

60/retired - Egg is 2 years old

Damn, all this time you've been telling my you're old. 
    Compared to you and most here . . . heck yeah!
    I remember a thread asking that people show photos of themselves.  One or two clicks assured me that I'm twice the average age.

<sigh>

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I guess the cold of Maine lends itself to better preservation.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Get yourself on a jet airplane over to Butt Blast if you want hip and kool my man!  

Now, hip and kool refers to hip replacements and Kool cigarettes. 

BTW, I am 36.  Been egging for a little over 3 years now.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    I'm 34 and got my first egg 6 years ago.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Egghead demographic... :fearful: 
    Go to an Eggfest & you'll answer your own question. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I guess the cold of Maine lends itself to better preservation.
    several generations if old drunks =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EastTNBGE
    EastTNBGE Posts: 74
    Options
    I am 39 and just got my Large as a birthday present to myself back in Dec.

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    First egg at 28. Second egg at 29. Currently 30.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    The real question isn't so much the average age, but the average likelihood of dying from something rather debilitating.  Like, oh I don't know...

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    49.  BGE XL 2013.  Larger pants, 2014.

Back in college, I worked in a BBQs Galore that carried eggs.  They sat in the corner, we never showed them to anyone unless they came in wanting one.  It was all about their Turbo grill which had a curved roll-style top at the time.  Nothing could produce the same great flavor as cooking on propane  :s
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Egghead demographic... :fearful: 
    Go to an Eggfest & you'll answer your own question. 
    He did, but was wondering why all the old codgers?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site