Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2016 Salado Eggfest roll call

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2016
    Options

Photo Egg said:
    Legume said:
    Ugh, not me.  Kids getting home Friday for spring break before heading out on a road trip (have to do car stuff) and friend having 50th bday party Saturday night.
    I hear Salado is the place to be for celebrating the big "50"...Bring the party.
    This year Salado will carry me to 51. What a great place to get old.lol
    if you bring that cooler full of jello shots again, you're not the only one that Salado will have to carry off :smiley: 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Us "chickens" will be there cooking Magnum Loads and wokking some veggies....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
     The bride and myself will be there!! Can't wait to catch up with our friends!!  We will be arriving on Friday.
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I have to ask, what is a magnum load? The more detail the better. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Oh yea, I'll be there for sure. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Navymom come on down. There is no fraternal order or secret handshake. I assure you it is a bunch of good 
    people and good times abound. If you like to cook a little, stay up too late and laugh until your severely underused abs (ok, that may just be me) hurt because you laugh so hard, this is a good place
    to do it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    Me and my wife will be cooking
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    The relative lack of activity on this thread is concerning.  Is it just going to be about 5 of us cooking for 500?   Or did this not get advertised as much as previous years such that there won't be as many tasters?

This is what happens when @Mickey plays the "I'm a tired old retired guy" card.

Or am I reading too much into this?
    I heard that 25 cooks have registered.
    I think 300ish, maybe 400, or so folks have attended in years past. Numbers may not be as high this time around, as some of the kinks are worked out under new stewardship, but I'm excited to see who drops an egg on @Mickey this year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    The relative lack of activity on this thread is concerning.  Is it just going to be about 5 of us cooking for 500?   Or did this not get advertised as much as previous years such that there won't be as many tasters?

I heard that 25 cooks have registered.
    I think 300ish, maybe 400, or so folks have attended in years past. Numbers may not be as high this time around, as some of the kinks are worked out under new stewardship, but I'm excited to see who drops an egg on @Mickey this year. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    caliking said:
    Hotch said:
    Foghorn said:

@caliking we may need something stronger than the PBR!!
    WTF?!!? How did I get volunteered to bring the sh!tty beer this time???

I'm sure @henapple has something more important to do... like make out with his cousins.

@caliking...  You know my motto, why go to the mall when it's right down the hall. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:

Photo Egg said:
    Legume said:
    Ugh, not me.  Kids getting home Friday for spring break before heading out on a road trip (have to do car stuff) and friend having 50th bday party Saturday night.
    I hear Salado is the place to be for celebrating the big "50"...Bring the party.
    This year Salado will carry me to 51. What a great place to get old.lol
    if you bring that cooler full of jello shots again, you're not the only one that Salado will have to carry off :smiley: 
    I had nothing to do with bringing the Jello Shots last year.
    My friend KC snuck into Salado as birthday surprise and brought them last year. She really went over the top with the Jello Shots last year...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    newby84 said:
    Where is it going to be and what time does it start? 

@newby84 asks good questions.  I've not seen it specifically stated as to where it is held and what time it starts. 

It is still in Pace Park in Salado - correct?

And what time do the grills get lit - and what time does food serving/tasting start?

Does anybody know?  Or are we just a bunch of Neanderthals going through some ritual that is passed down through oral lore?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Spring Hen
    Options
    I have to ask, what is a magnum load? The more detail the better. 
    I will have to get Spring Chicken to give you the full description. He has photos of it somewhere. It is a link of sausage cored and stuffed with a little smokie, wrap that in Jimmy Dean Hot sausage and then wrap all of it in bacon. The flavors together are neyond words....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Foghorn
    @newby84

The Salado Eggfest will NOT be at Pace Park this year. Starts Saturday March 12th at 9am with lighting of the Eggs. But I'm sure Spring Chicken and Spring Hen will already have food coming off the Egg by then.lol
    It will be at The Venue. It is near the Shack restaurant across the creek from the park but on the same side of the creek and same street as Inn on the Creek. Mickey posted some nice photos of work being done in preparation.

http://www.inncreek.com/venue.php

https://www.facebook.com/TheVenueByInnOnTheCreek
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Photo Egg - excellent. Thank you. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Spring Hen
    Options

Foghorn said:
    newby84 said:
    Where is it going to be and what time does it start? 

@newby84 asks good questions.  I've not seen it specifically stated as to where it is held and what time it starts. 

It is still in Pace Park in Salado - correct?

And what time do the grills get lit - and what time does food serving/tasting start?

Does anybody know?  Or are we just a bunch of Neanderthals going through some ritual that is passed down through oral lore?
    It is too long of a story to explain but the party starts Friday with a Meet and Greet on the lawn of the Inn on the Creek about 6 pm. The fest is held in an area down the street called the Venue. You can't miss it...just look for the smoke. The after party will be back at the Inn. Call Cole at Ace Hardware to register 254-947-4008. Hope to see you there.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @Foghorn
    @newby84

The Salado Eggfest will NOT be at Pace Park this year. Starts Saturday March 12th at 9am with lighting of the Eggs. But I'm sure Spring Chicken and Spring Hen will already have food coming off the Egg by then.lol
    It will be at The Venue. It is near the Shack restaurant across the creek from the park but on the same side of the creek and same street as Inn on the Creek. Mickey posted some nice photos of work being done in preparation.

http://www.inncreek.com/venue.php

https://www.facebook.com/TheVenueByInnOnTheCreek
    It is on the corner of Royal and College St. I believe.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Would love to make it again, but can't.  Last year was a blast, and I'm sure this year will be great again.  Let the shaming begin anew.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    Linda and I will be there.  Had registered to cook by phone.  May need to buddy up with some body.  We will be at the Inn on the Creek.  Looking to get there around 1500 Friday.  E-mail me at mark.tate20@yahoo.com to catch me up.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Oklahoma will be represented again this year.  See you all Friday.
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Navymom said:
    We had planned on being there now I'm not sure. We aren't part of the "regulars", but didn't think we were heathens there for free food.
    Canceling for other reasons. We will be at Athens, picking up a demo egg for a friend. Y'all have fun and stay dry.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    How many of the attendees are bringing their eggs? Its my first rodeo so I probably wont.
    Austin, Tx
  • travisstrick
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    How many of the attendees are bringing their eggs? Its my first rodeo so I probably wont.
    No need to bring your egg. There will be plenty of demo eggs. 
  • Hotch
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    If you are going to cook call the Salado Tx Ace Hardware and let them know. This way they will have an Egg for you to cook on.
    And bring alcohol! Boxes bottles or cans, Any or all!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    OT - I was going to post about it on the "Other Forum" but have not been able to get to it?
    Anyone else having issues with it?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Yes, @Hotch, it's been several days since the other forum has been working. Not sure what is going on.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • nolensgma
    Options
    We'll be there.

Suzanne
    Austin, Texas :):)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    nolensgma said:
    We'll be there.

Welcome... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yes.  Welcome @nolensgma.  Make sure to introduce yourself and let people know you are on the forum. 

San Antonio, TX