Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm tired of the anti-well done snobs

Options
Just had to rant.  I don't like blood in my meat.  So sue me.  My wife is the same way.  Cooking show after cooking show.  Post after post.  Chef snob after chef snob.  If you aren't eating your meat medium rare there is something wrong with you.

Well, I'm sick and tired of that attitude.  Cook your meat the way you want, but stop telling me how I should enjoy mine.  And that goes for you Gordon Ramsey.  I tuned you out the moment you called Girl Scout Cookies "dog biscuits".

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It's not blood. Look it up.

Eat what you like, but it would be good to be educated. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    lol, I don't have the same animosity that you do ... but when I see someone cooking tri tip to a 'bloody' 118 degrees, it makes me cringe. Timmy likes his beef north of medium. .
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I don't care how another person eats his or her meat.  To each his or her own, but I'm tired of being told I am wrong for liking my meat brown instead of red.  I will eat it the way I want ... thank you very much.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Depends upon the cut.  I wouldn't try eating brisket or pot-roast rare, but I'll snack on raw london broil.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Hub
    Options
    It's not blood. Look it up.

Eat what you like, but it would be good to be educated. 
    Oh here we go .. if I don't like my meat the way you do I am uneducated. :o
  • Hub
    Options
    I like mine rare, but we can still be friends if you want to be. 
    Of course.  I have no issues with you eating your meat the way you like it.  I have a huge problem with everyone telling me I am wrong for eating my meat the way I like it.  Well done ... or at the very least medium well .. and yes ... it IS blood.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Uneducated, umamerican, whatever. :murica: 
  • Hub
    Options
    Uneducated, umamerican, whatever. :murica: 
    So I have to eat the way YOU want me to eat to be American?
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Where does the blood go when you cook it well done? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Hub
    Options
    Not trying to pick a fight ... just sick of the attitude.  Not everyone wants red or pink meat and not everyone who feels that way is uneducated or unamerican.  This thread is proof of the very attitude I protest.  For the record, I have a juris doctorate and I served two terms in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.  But by gosh I like my meat medium well or well done.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I was raised eating well-done beef.  It's the only way my parents would eat it.  My father never changed but in the last few years of his life I learned to cook him steaks that were juicy and just barely brown.  I say let people eat their beef the way they like it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You started this thread by claiming you've had to put up with a bunch of attitude over your preference.  So far the only real attitude I hear is yours.  Then again, I don't give a flying carnal knowledge what's on your plate.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    SGH said:
    Where does the blood go when you cook it well done? 
    The blood was gone when the meat reached 2nd stage at the slaughter house. Ever heard the term "bleeding out"? Trust me when I say that just because a liquid is red, it doesn't necessarily equate to blood. There is no "blood" in meat that you buy. None, not a drop. Trust me on this one. Yes there is a red liquid, but it's not blood. It's myoglobin. 
    I am fully aware of this, but the OP statements read like "cooking a steak well done means there is no blood, but anything less has blood." 

Also, If you like your steaks well done, then so be it! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @theyolksonyou can't judge doneness for $hit. Did you see how he ate that tuna???? ;)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    carnal knowledge 
    That's some mighty long words there brother Fred. However I looked them up and have to say it's one of my favorites ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hey @blind99 ! That tuna was perfectly cooked!  It was shown the egg on the way in from the car. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    By the way, when you start a thread with a tude, you can make book on getting a bunch of tude in return.  Just sayin'.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I boil my hot dogs, and love **** Mac and cheese, not that home made baked **** with bread crumbs on it, but the powdered cheese kind, with ketchup on both....and when I make "home made pizza" I use store bought dough and use ranch as a condiment... but I could never eat a steak above 134f, just can't. I'm pretty sure if you are cooking your food for yourself, no ones opinion matters. $.02
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @theyolksonyou brother yolk I saw that tuna.... I agree it looked great!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Chill pill bro
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think Ms Hub must have put heavey starch in your boxers.

You want well done, have at it. I'Ll cook my on steak though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    If that red stuff on my plate is blood, that is some mighty strange looking blood, cut your finger and compare, that is just meat juice on my plate. 

That being said, eat well done if you like I don't care and hopefully others done care if I care.  IMO par-boiling brats ruins them, raw tomatoes on sandwiches are disgusting, green peppers taste like ass and every so often I like a McDonald's cheese burger or a taco from Taco Bell (and my wife is Hispanic from South Texas so I'm not Mexican food lacking).  My only rule is, if you come to my house for steak, it will be served Med-rare, if you want it done more...the BGE should still be hot enough, its out back.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Thank you, @Hub !
    It was gittin' to be a tad tame around here.

Well done!
    (Ooops)
     =) 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns