Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will I use the platesetter again?

Options
Hi, all.
I just got the CGS AR/Woo combo and the 17" round stone. Previously I've used the BGE platesetter for all my low and slows. I am doing some much-needed reorganizing and purging of all things grill related on my deck, and am wondering if I need to keep the platesetter handy or move it to the basement.
Is there a time when the platesetter is better than the stone for indirect?

Thanks
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I use the plate setter all the time with my AR. Setter legs up, original grill and AR on top of that. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    I've never had a platesetter.  I was gifted my XL but neglected to ask for a platesetter (I guess I thought they were standard equipment).  So I quick bought a Woo2, 17" stone, and an AR.  Now, I've only been Egging since August, but I'm not aware of anything I truly need a platesetter for.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    I sold my plate setter.  AR all the way.  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I use mine only when baking bread and such
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I gave my platesetter to a friend when he got his BGE for father's day.
    NOLA
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I use the PS all the time with the combo.  To me, the AR provides superior protection for probe wires during cooks.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I never use mine since getting the AR. Guess I could use it but no longer necessary.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I use mine only when baking bread and such
    ^^^ Good idea here.  If you bake a lot of breads, having a separate "indirect" block, that isn't soaked in pork fat and burnt cheese, may be a good idea.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I know that it's just one man talking here, but I really like the plate setter. Always have. Can you get by without it? Absolutley. Are there other ways to go indirect? You bet your boots there are. However the plate setter works and works exceedingly well for some things. For the large BGE, the plate setter is built perfect to hold the 16x2 1/2 drip pans that I use. For stromboli, biscuits and pone, the plate setter turned legs down with a round stone on top works like charm. I also have the AR along with the both the oval and round stones. But for simplicity and speed I use the simple Woo and plate setter for 95% of my cooks. One disadvantage to the plate setter is coverage when doing very large cuts such as brisket and spare ribs. They both tend to over hang the setter a little. It's here that I feel that the oval stone has the advantage. Short of this, I use the setter. Here is another thing that I have noticed in the setter vs stone war, I find it much easier to hold real low temps with the setter than I do with the oval stone. Especially sub 200 degrees. Not saying that it can't be done with the stone because I have done it myself many times. But I notice a lot more vent chasing up front with the stone than I do with the setter. Especially when trying to hold 200 or lower. Another great use for the setter is Dutch oven cooking without the cooking grid. This allows you to use a larger Dutch oven without it hitting the dome. For clarity, I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. Just pointing out that the setter defiantly has its place in kamado cooking. If you already have one, don't discard it just because you bought a AR and stone. Keep it standing by in case you break your stone. You will have a backup indirect method at the ready which is always a good thing. Again, use what you like and what works for you my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The platesetter plus your stone gives you a baking setup.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I haven't used my platesetter since I bought my AR. I never thought about using them in combo. I may give it a try. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• calracefan
    Options
    jabam said:
    I use the plate setter all the time with my AR. Setter legs up, original grill and AR on top of that. 

If I try this the A/R hits the dome (TooTall)
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    The platesetter fits into the Woo with just a little finagling. I like the protection the legs give to the thermocouple wires when using my controller. I bought my AR/Woo2 when I saw a large crack across the platesetter and figured it was just a matter of time before it broke. So far it has held together but I believe in part due to the Woo2 protecting it. I have used the 17" as a pizza stone atop the AR for crisping the cheese and ingredients. Best of both worlds.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have only used the plate setter. It is without a doubt the hardest working cooking tool I have. The ability to maintain low and slow temps, I all I look for. Bonuses include, but are not limited to; drip pan placement, excellent heat shield for probes, heat distribution, etc.
    maybe ignorance, in my case is bliss, but I am thrilled with the performance of mine for the XL.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    jabam said:

Legs up it hits the dome? I figured legs down it would be more likely to hit the dome.
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I have a Woo2, but I still use my plate setter frequently. With the PS in legs up, I set the Woo on top of it with a drip pan over the Woo's lower ring (perfect air gap), and the grate on top of the Woo. It raises the grate about an inch over the gasket. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    cajunrph said:
    jabam said:

Legs up it hits the dome? I figured legs down it would be more likely to hit the dome.
    I use the platesetter with the AR in my xl all the time. Platesetter then grate then AR it fits fine. Don't remember if it fit that way in my large. Either way I would not get rid of a platesetter I use mine all the time even without the AR. If I'm just doing a couple shoulders I don't use the AR at all.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I use the PS legs down with pizza cooks only. Put a ceramic foot on each "arm of the PS and then the stone. I feel it provides more even cooking of pizza than my oval stone in my AR
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Keep it.  Has many other uses than just on the egg, but for baking and pizzas on the egg it is invaluable.  We have two large and one small that always travel with us to egg fests.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the only real use for a platesetter is for heat retention in bread making, it helps the egg come back to temps quicker when adding or removing bread from the stone. i dont own one and made my own heat sink with sand which works better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    @jeffwit , I had the same question as you. My PS is sitting in my garage. Once I got the AR, stone, and extender, I thought I'd never use the PS again. Then Thanksgiving came around, and I wanted to get my turkey on indirect heat under the dome. I fooled around with a couple of configurations with the AR, then muttered "screw it," and pulled out the PS.

It has its place. Pizzas, to be sure, are aided by the use of the PS. When I upgrade my Egg, I'll probably go buy a CI PS, and I'll use it.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'll keep it handy.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    i dont own one and made my own heat sink with sand which works better
    Pics/description?  That sounds interesting.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    cajunrph said:
    jabam said:

The dimensions of the base have changed over the years.  Things sit higher in the dome in older eggs. In my egg, plate setter legs up = grid at felt level.  In newer eggs, I believe that would have the grid about 1" below felt level.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Botch said:
    i dont own one and made my own heat sink with sand which works better
    Pics/description?  That sounds interesting.  
    i used a tank end, setup on a spider, the stone sits directly in the sand, not as shown in the picture.  my dome is hotter than the stone and the extra heat flow from the shape of the tankend will cause it to turn into a broiler, i can get a blue flame hovering above the stone at really high temps. the flat shape of the platesetter throws heat back down toward the lump which isnt the best

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • calracefan
    Options
    Lit said:
    cajunrph said:
    jabam said:

I use the platesetter with the AR in my xl all the time. Platesetter then grate then AR it fits fine. Don't remember if it fit that way in my large. Either way I would not get rid of a platesetter I use mine all the time even without the AR. If I'm just doing a couple shoulders I don't use the AR at all.
    I have a large about 2 to 3 years old. Haven't tried it recently but remember the A/R hitting the dome when I tried to close it. Legs up grid is at or just below felt line.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:
    cajunrph said:
    jabam said:

I have a large about 2 to 3 years old. Haven't tried it recently but remember the A/R hitting the dome when I tried to close it. Legs up grid is at or just below felt line.
    In the Large, the AR cannot be used with plate setter. In the XL, they can be used together.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jabam
    Options
    DMW said:
    Lit said:
    cajunrph said:
    jabam said:

In the Large, the AR cannot be used with plate setter. In the XL, they can be used together.
    I have to disagree, my large is 1 year old, I use plate setter legs up, original grid on top of that and AR sitting directly on original grill. I use that set up quite a bit. I will take some pics when I get home from work tonight. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    jabam said:
    DMW said:
    Lit said:
    cajunrph said:
    jabam said:

I have to disagree, my large is 1 year old, I use plate setter legs up, original grid on top of that and AR sitting directly on original grill. I use that set up quite a bit. I will take some pics when I get home from work tonight. 
    Interesting, according to the CGS website, that doesn't fit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jabam
    Options
    @DMW I will take some pics tonight of my set up. Works for me.