Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Nickles on the Deckle.

Options
13»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    SGH said:
    The function and flow is identical. All are side fired, naturally aspirated, once through, direct to exhaust design. I was simply saying that he was cooking on a pit that he was very familiar with how it operated. All of his pits with the exception of the turntable he recently added run the same. I'm pretty sure he built the pit that he took to the comp. Had he been using a reverse flow or bottom fired unit, I would certainly agree that he handicapped himself. I was actually hoping that he would win. Aaron is one of the good guys. 
    That makes total sense. To be honest, when I posted that I wasn't sure if I was agreeing with you or disagreeing with you. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks like that was last year's results.  Man, competition must be fierce if he finished that low!  I was thinking about organizing a team, but that scares me.  Lol
    @Dyal_SC I'll sign up. If nothing else I'll provide the beer. Seriously I'd love to dive in as well. 
    Maybe I'll see you guys out on the circuit. I'll be at the "beginner" judges table. I'm a South Carolina judge in training. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Maybe I'll see you guys out on the circuit. I'll be at the "beginner" judges table. I'm a South Carolina judge in training. 
    That's awesome brother^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I just took the Judge class today, looking forward to getting out to some of the events and learning about competitive bbq
  • SGH
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just took the Judge class today, looking forward to getting out to some of the events and learning about competitive bbq
    Congratulations brother. Hope that you have a great time. It should be a blast for you.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    SGH said:
    Dyal_SC said:
     I was thinking about organizing a team, but that scares me.  Lol
    Don't let it put you off. Comp food and restaurant food are two entirely different things. Ever tried Myrons comp brisket? It's not something that you want to sit down and fill up on and yet it consistently wins comps. If you haven't tried it, then take my word for it.  On the other side of the coin, Aarons brisket is exactly what you want to sit down and fill up on rather it wins comps or not. Two different end goals my friend. 
    Reminds me of some wines. They show well and are highly rated because they stand out in a crowd when doing a tasting, but if you sit down to dinner with a whole bottle, you may not be able to get past the second glass.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Just to nip this in the bud, there should NEVER be a beginner judges table at any KCBS contest, the organizers/reps should make sure there's a good blend of experience at every table. On the west coast most contests accomplish this via a 'sort' that occurs right before each contest. Here in WI many organizers/reps have done the sort in advance and will have seating assigned. In general the most experienced judges will be at the same table as the least to minimize any 'experience bias' in the scoring.

Hope all you new CBJs enjoy your first contests, I think it's a blast.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Options
    FYI and a little OT but I was curious about the inclusion of the phrase 'Double Nickle' in their name.  I did a simple search and found the following reference:

deckle in Technology
    /dek'l/ (From "dec-" and " nibble "; the original spelling seems to have been "decle") Two nickles; 10 bits. Reported among developers for Mattel's GI 1600 (the Intellivision games processor), a chip with 16-bit wide RAM but 10-bit wide ROM.

(dictionary.reference.com)

Maybe I've missed the boat on this one... :confused: 

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    @Black_Badger, instructor told us that Beginners would be spread across all tables to spread us out
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @Black_Badger, instructor told us that Beginners would be spread across all tables to spread us out
    Yep, that's what should happen. Most contests will try to get as even a distribution of experience as possible across all tables.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @sgh I can guarantee it's not a smoker from his restaurant. Having toured the facility it's par impossible to transport one. And it would destroy that days profit for the store.

While it may function exactly the same, it's much harder to cook in an unfamiliar environment than it is in your daily kitchen. Especially when all you do is cook bad ace brisket out of your daily kitchen. I have now done 3 comps, (obviously no pro, but I understand the challenges now). A parking lot is nothing like your kitchen, and no matter how familiar you are with the "style" cooker it's much harder in that environment.  And even if he built it, every cooker has it's own quirks. You @sgh know that better than any of us on this site.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    FYI and a little OT but I was curious about the inclusion of the phrase 'Double Nickle' in their name.  I did a simple search and found the following reference:

deckle in Technology
    /dek'l/ (From "dec-" and " nibble "; the original spelling seems to have been "decle") Two nickles; 10 bits. Reported among developers for Mattel's GI 1600 (the Intellivision games processor), a chip with 16-bit wide RAM but 10-bit wide ROM.

(dictionary.reference.com)

Maybe I've missed the boat on this one... :confused: 

The Deckle is a part of a brisket. I'm guessing that Double Nickel has to do with Wagyu A5 grade. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Thanks @DoubleEgger.  I knew what deckle was but had no idea about the Wagyu / marbling scale.  This makes sense.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Gaining the information on just how many new vs experienced judges always helped know what we were dealing with inside the Judging tent.  If you traveled to a contest that had just had a class and were over 50% new judges we cooked and seasoned accordingly.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SGH
    Options
    Gaining the information on just how many new vs experienced judges always helped know what we were dealing with inside the Judging tent.  If you traveled to a contest that had just had a class and were over 50% new judges we cooked and seasoned accordingly.
    You have been around the block a time or two brother Smoker. You can always tell who has by the way they respond to certain scenarios. And yeah, you hit it right on the money. 

Status- Standing by.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Video of Aaron's first voyage into competition cooking. Link

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Great thread. I am not too far away from Myron Mixon, and I have thought many times about taking his class. I honestly feel like I could learn more from many of you here on the forum.  I just need a get together so I can learn. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    Options
    I am not too far away from Myron Mixon, and I have thought many times about taking his class. 
    I can't speak from personal experience as to how good his cooking classes are. But with that said, if you decide to take one of his classes, be sure to chose one that includes him demonstrating how to prep a whole hog. I can tell you this, since I was big enough to walk I have been around and involved in breaking down meat. I have seen some folks that are truely great at it. I'm not to shabby myself. But when it comes to laying out a whole hog, Myron is about as good as you will ever see. Without question or doubt and by any measure, he is simply the king of prepping a whole hog. He has more tricks up his sleeve than a magician. Love him or hate him, he is as good as it gets at prepping whole hog. The speed at which he can split the ribs and not rupture the skin is beyond belief. Trust me on this one. 

Status- Standing by.