Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas in July

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, big thumbs up to the new smokeware cap. I was a little
    neevous using it overnight on my first cook but it locked in rock solid all night. I decided to go 2 briskets instead of brisket and ribs so I could get some sleep. I used my guru on one brisket and had to go commando on the other. I set it hoping to hit 275. It locked in around 250 so at 1:30 am I bumped it a little and "went to bed" as was necessary under current conditions. Woke up this morning and it was locked in at 270. Not too shabby for the first run. The new vent design really made a big difference in holding low temps without creeping up overnight. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Excellent.  That was the biggest hurdle.  F'ing it up through the night can be easy to do.  Less chance of that in the daytime.

Carry on.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Gonna be some great eats for sure.  Regarding last night....better to be lucky than good any day.  Nice job with the temps and cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Brisket 1 is off and in the cooler. Brisket 2 is going to need some help. Wrapped and bumped to 350. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Brisket 1 is off and in the cooler. Brisket 2 is going to need some help. Wrapped and bumped to 350. 
    Sounds like you've got it well under control. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions getting to the finish line!  =)

Happy 4th and Merry Christmas!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Sounds like you've got it well under control. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions getting to the finish line!  =)

Happy 4th and Merry Christmas!
    Oh, and don't forget to slice across the grain!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm also interested to see how both these briskets turn out. One was a Costco prime, which I'm very much on the fence about, and the other is a $1.59lb Excel Choice. I trimmed 5 lbs off the 15 lb prime packer and it could have used more. I trimmed 3 lbs off the 17lb choice and it looked awesome. The prime is off andit feels right through the paper. We will see. I have not had any luck with these my last 3-4 cooks. If this choice turns out better, I'm done with Costco meat for a while. Plus I have 3 more of the choice in my fridge :smiley: 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm really digging this new cap. It's very intuitive and when it locks in, is is solid. I set it where I thought 350 should be:

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looking good man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Briskets are both off and loaded up for the drive to the inlaws house. They both felt really nice through the paper so think I'll crack a beer and declare victory. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Briskets are both off and loaded up for the drive to the inlaws house. They both felt really nice through the paper so think I'll crack a beer and declare victory. 
    I say any cook that doesn't involve your deck catching on fire is a win. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    I say any cook that doesn't involve your deck catching on fire is a win. 
    True. Brisket was a home run. Best is a while. We ate the cheap one because it was bigger. It was freaking good. All jiggly and happy. Also had turkey breast and jalapeño cheese sausage. Janell made potato salad, vinegar based slaw, watermelon basil salad and beans. I'm full and way too sober. We will fix that soon. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That sounds great.  Was that one of the Randalls packers or was it Costco?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    He ate the Randalls choice packer.  The Costco Prime is still in the cooler.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Sounds like a hell of time... Enjoy!
  • Legume
    Options
    Finally got to Randalls - out at all stores they said.  Can't support their ad for even two days, that's just wrong.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    Legume said:
    Finally got to Randalls - out at all stores they said.  Can't support their ad for even two days, that's just wrong.

Just bought one at the store at Spicewood...freaking huge, 18 lbs...they had two more out that were about that size
    Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Options
    I'll have to go check later. I was up off Braker, meat guy told me everywhere was out.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Legume said:
    He ate the Randalls choice packer.  The Costco Prime is still in the cooler.
    I cracked the Costco to give everyone take home bags. The excel choice from Randall's was way better. They were both cooked right and the texture was good on both. The Excel had way more beef flavor. The Costco had so much fat in it that it watered down the taste of the beef. The point was 80% fat. Kinda nasty. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Okay-since we don't have Randall's here in bourbon country, way to spoil those Costco primes I have on ice :grin:  But given that's where we are except for the occasional SRF treat I am happy to have any supply of prime packers up here.  Glad it was a great day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Okay-since we don't have Randall's here in bourbon country, way to spoil those Costco primes I have on ice :grin:  But given that's where we are except for the occasional SRF treat I am happy to have any supply of prime packers up here.  Glad it was a great day!
    They all source them differenty. We don't have the same brands as Houston Costco so I'm sure yours are different. When we had the shop we carried CAB. We had another group come in to try to sell us a Certified Hereford program. It was really light pink and very mild. CAB is real dark red, heavily marbled and Angus is beefy. This kind of looked and tasted like that Hereford test we did. The color was kind of washed out and it was super mild. 

The he quality was not there either Though. I've cooked 4 bad briskets this year. All 4 Costco. This one was not bad but it really didn't stand up to a $1.59 choice packer right next to it. I'm out for a bit and I'll check back in to see if they switch suppliers in the next few months. I've helped several guys with Costco cooks this year and many of them were not great too. Couple of accesses and some that were just plain tough (including 2 of mine). 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Too full and too sober? Whatcha gonna do? Throw up and start drinking..... Until you throw up again? :) 

The Costco prime briskets ain't l that IMO. I cooked one stellar o e and probably 3 more were sub par. The point has generally been smaller than on a choice brisket,  and I think I'm closer to getting a choice one done the way I like it. 

Sounds like you guys got it done right.  Not that we ever had any doubt. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Too full and too sober? Whatcha gonna do? Throw up and start drinking..... Until you throw up again? :) 

The Costco prime briskets ain't l that IMO. I cooked one stellar o e and probably 3 more were sub par. The point has generally been smaller than on a choice brisket,  and I think I'm closer to getting a choice one done the way I like it. 

Sounds like you guys got it done right.  Not that we ever had any doubt. 
    I'm with you. A good mechanic never blames his tools but I never claimed to be a good mechanic. I'm just looking for a fair advantage (as a good friend of mine is fond of saying) so I'm not ashamed of blaming meat for my misses.