Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will the BGE smoke meat like a smoker?

Options
Our Smoker (which we love when it works) had a "fail" again last night so we've been talking about getting a BGE. What we love the most about the Traeger is the wood smoke flavor (as evidenced by the smoke ring). Can you get the same results with a Big Green Egg? How would you get the WOOD smoked flavor?

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Welcome!!

(But, seriously??!??)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

All cookers (i.e., Traeger, stick burners, BGEs) will produce a different end product but, yes, you can absolutely get smoker flavor (and a smoke ring) with the Egg. Just add whatever wood chunks you want in with the lump charcoal and you'll get smoke flavor.

The great thing about the egg, though, is that you can do some much more with it than smoking. Baking, grilling, preparing stews, soups, etc.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    A little research on your part will show that a BGE will do just about everything you need. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Welcome. Just curious what was the failure on your Traeger?  For me I went with my first BGE because I was sick and tired of shelling out money on vessels that didn't last and had limited cooking capabilities.  Answer to OP question yes you can get a smoke ring using an egg (moist environment) and more importantly terrific flavor.  Using quality lump charcoal and different types of wood.  Also just for the record...I'll just put this here for you to peruse
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

BGE is so much more than just a smoker.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Hello Lady... happy to see there's another female among the group.  I almost bought a Traeger.  SO happy I didn't.  The BGE does almost everything and THIS is the place to find help if you need it.   
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Hello Lady... happy to see there's another female among the group.  I almost bought a Traeger.  SO happy I didn't.  The BGE does almost everything and THIS is the place to find help if you need it.   
    Well, it won't do the laundry for you...  =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Our Smoker (which we love when it works) had a "fail" again last night so we've been talking about getting a BGE. What we love the most about the Traeger is the wood smoke flavor (as evidenced by the smoke ring). Can you get the same results with a Big Green Egg? How would you get the WOOD smoked flavor?
    You joined in Jan of 2014 and are not sure whether you can smoke meat on the egg? Look around for a few minutes, all the answers you need are here
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    As above, the answer out-of-the-gate is it can smoke like a "Traditional" smoker.  And produce great smoked foods.  But if you are one who is fixated on the smoke ring, that is more of a challenge with the BGE.  Upper right is a search box that can give you more insights or use google and add big green egg to your query.  
    The above said, BGE is very versatile and may not do all things the best but will do them "good enough" across a spectrum that you likely will not exceed.  But what did you expect from the BGE forum :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The BGE produces world class BBQ. That has been proven here and on the BBQ circuit. The difference is it also produces great seared food, baked food, stewed food, pizza, stir fry, and just about any other thing you can think of. The egg has no peers IMO, with the possible exception of their competitors in the ceramic Kamado market. The competition is way behind though. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Next door neighbor has a Traeger. First smoke went well, and has not worked correctly since. His birthday is July 7th, his wife bought him a large BGE, and is storing it in my garage, to give to him prior to the holiday weekend, for his family get together.  He is working on the Traeger now, not having any luck, his wife, hates it.
    BGE  is the best for all around cooking. You will love it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @YukonRon, you should at least go tell the poor guy he'e welcome to use your egg for the holiday weekend so that he can quit wasting his time (and maybe patience) screwing with the Traeger. Imagine how badly that might turn out if he gets too frustrated.
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Next door neighbor has a Traeger. First smoke went well, and has not worked correctly since. His birthday is July 7th, his wife bought him a large BGE, and is storing it in my garage, to give to him prior to the holiday weekend, for his family get together.  He is working on the Traeger now, not having any luck, his wife, hates it.
    The traeger is a fine pellet smoker, but it cannot do what the egg does. They produce pretty good smoked bbq with little effort. The only issue they might have is replacing the "hot rods" which are the ignition source in the fire pot. If you don't let the warm up like the directions Telly you to do, they can burn up. Also moving them around is not they best for them. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Platesetter with some chunks of your smoke wood will allow you to smoke like your traeger. No electricity needed unless you use a stoker fan. 

I've had great rings on ribs and a pork loin. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon, you should at least go tell the poor guy he'e welcome to use your egg for the holiday weekend so that he can quit wasting his time (and maybe patience) screwing with the Traeger. Imagine how badly that might turn out if he gets too frustrated.
    Funny you should mention that. I have owned my XL since March. He has used  it about a dozen times, and his last to big cooks. He gets that Traeger working and the next time he wants to use it, it has to be cleaned out and reset. I can always tell when he is getting ready to use it, the F - Bombs fly. Then, and only then, do I approach an ask if he needs to use the egg.
    Gotta hand it to the dude, that Traeger would have been on the curb with my boot stuck in it, if I owned it. He has owned his for about a year I think.
    His wife and children set this up with me, and I can't wait to see his face, after this latest repair fails, again, and his wife and children give him the Egg. I have been told that machine turns out great food, but they like the egg food better, or so they say, FWIW.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

YukonRon said:
    The traeger is a fine pellet smoker, but it cannot do what the egg does. They produce pretty good smoked bbq with little effort. The only issue they might have is replacing the "hot rods" which are the ignition source in the fire pot. If you don't let the warm up like the directions Telly you to do, they can burn up. Also moving them around is not they best for them. 
    I have been told it is the best, I will take my MM or XL any day, based on what I have seen thus far. His might be the lemon of the batch, but that thing is corroding, loose and seems not well put together. I have worked on it a couple times, and although a cool idea, not so much on durability, it seems, based on this one.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RPWII
    RPWII Posts: 3
    Options
    I bought a Large BGE after a fail on a holiday with my Trager.

This past year, i have learned more and more what i can cook on the BGE.

The BGE is so more flexible on what you can cook, smoke, grill

After a year, i have just sold my Trager and have gone to the green side.

It will take a little of trial and error to figure out the fire, and getting a steady temp, once you figure that out, nothing will hold you back.

In the long run i feel it is cheaper to buy lump than pellets, but i buy RO on sale.

From turkey to burgers to pizza to baking, great unit bottom line.
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Well, it won't do the laundry for you...  =)
    I said ALMOST.  
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Hey I'm a woman... Or will be Wednesday. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    henapple said:

Hey I'm a woman... Or will be Wednesday. 

Think I will just sit back and watch where this goes, while filling up the 30oz Yeti.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    To answer your question......

Not only yes, but HELL YES! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    The Treager was my 1st smoker, I used it little after I got my WSM that gave me a much better smoke flavour, I sold it after having the BGE for awhile. I believe that the Treager pellets whatever flavour are mostly Alder mixed with the named wood. I get a better more smokey flavour with other types of smokers.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are all about smoke flavor I would check into a stick burner. Since I started running my vertical as a stick burner I haven't used any of my eggs. It's alot more work but the end result is better.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I think you guys are being very subtly trolled here. I'm having a hard time believing this is a real question for this forum.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lit said:
    If you are all about smoke flavor I would check into a stick burner. Since I started running my vertical as a stick burner I haven't used any of my eggs. It's alot more work but the end result is better.
    ha ha. Cazzy got you

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    +2
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    ha ha. Cazzy got you

Yes very glad he did. A week later and my backwoods would have been on craigslist and I would have had a shirley fabrications on order. went from wanting to unload the backwoods to ordering a cart for it yesterday. Thanks @cazzy
  • kirkiver
    kirkiver Posts: 23
    Options
    I had a traeger for 6 years, prior to that a gas smoker, and a electric smoker... the thing about the traeger its like a convection oven, it drys things out, you can't really grill on it ( no direct heat ) but it does smoke things decently.
    I bought a egg just a few weeks ago, did a few side by sides with it and the traeger, chicken ( wings, thighs, spatchcock ), brisket & Butt.. family agreed the egg was the hands down winner every time, better smoke flavor, moister. 
    it also worked great as a grill ( direct and indirect ) puts a great sear on steak that the traeger will never do. also will go to over 750 degrees, so it makes a great pizza oven. we have an outdoor kitchen with a large gas grill, it hasn't been turned on since we got the egg, and the traeger went on craigslist and is history. we cook 4 to 5 nights a week on the egg, i have even started using it to make my sour dough bread, foccocia bread, & pita... buy the egg, sell the traeger, you will never look back
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Can you get the same results with a Big Green Egg? 
    Sister blender, I will attemp to give you a honest assessment to the question at hand. First let me say that all cookers are different and as such will more often than not yield different results when everything else is equal. The results may be minor but they still exist nonetheless. The very nature of how a cooker applies heat and draft certainly does make a difference in the out come no matter how subtle or vast that it maybe. As far as the BGE, it's what I call a great all around rig. It serves as a grill, a smoker and a convection oven. It does most things exceedingly well. However as with all things, there are certainly units out there that will out perform it in some instances. The BGE like some of the higher end pellet smokers such as Yoder, Fast Eddy etc, etc, all do a good job of smoking meat. However none of them can fully equal a airtight, high quality, clean burning, wood fired offset stick burner in terms of how much deep clean smoke that can be applied. The laws of Physics prevents it. It comes down to burning fuel versus smoldering fuel. However, the BGE and the said pellet burners above all do a pretty good job at smoking. More than good enough for most applications. The more fuel that you burn (not smolder) the more smoke that you can lay down without getting the acrid or sooty taste. There are certainly many different types of great rigs out there. However if absolute maximum smoke is your forte, nothing can quite match a true stick burner. As a owner and user of most every type of smoker there is, I assure you that I'm not expressing sentiment. I'm stating absolute fact. If you doubt my assessment, go to PBS and watch Aaron Franklins latest video on smokers. He has a ceramic cooker (Kamado Joe) and a WSM on there and points out himself that they cannot match the offset for clean smokiness. At the end of the day, the BGE is a great all around rig without question or doubt. But it's not a offset nor was it designed to be so. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    one of my favorite baked foods is PIZZA!!! Just as good as any woodfired pizza joint - if not better.