Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All kidding and razzing aside what do you have against Royal Oak?

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  Has anyone tried (or is it prohibitively expensive) to use vacuum kilns?  You only need to heat enough to keep the water from freezing, I think microwaves can be used in this application in conjunction with the vacuum.  I'm not knowledgeable about this industry, just standard chemistry techniques.
    LOL - not at your idea, but the memory that your post just brought back to me!

MANY years ago I had been given some small lengths of freshly cut and split black walnut. I thought I would turn a bud vase on my lathe for my wife. Well...I thought rather than wait for a small piece to dry I would speed it along in our kitchen oven. At least I had the smarts to try drying it at a low temperature BUT then it hit me...why not speed this drying process along in our microwave! Since Pat was gone that day and I didn't want to ask permission anyway since the bud vase was to be a surprise birthday gift I just set the microwave at some temp and time and walked out to work in the garage. Well...I came back in and while there was no fire the MV was reeking! The stench wasn't just on the interior walls it was inside where ever the fan and light was housed. That stupid mistake cost me a new microwave! 

BTW a year later I turned a beautiful walnut bud case from another piece I air dried over my furnace! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I have refrained from commenting, as all I have used is 50 pounds of RO.

But, tonight I opened my 5th bag (8#) and found it was about half uncarbonized wood and what appears to be a squirrel, or a rat.

Rocks are fine, but I was a little grossed out at the rodent remnants.

I hear you - but that is insulation. A rat or squirrel wouldn't have even had bones, must less hair remaining thru a hot as HELL kiln!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Legume said:
    @stlcharcoal does your charcoal get sold under any other brands?
    Was this answered? 
    No, I haven't seen a reply to this.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I've been using RO for years, no problems with it and it's always available.  @ 10.00/17.6 on sale I just stock up but not quite as much as Ron.  Ha!

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    RRP said:
    Langner91 said:

But, tonight I opened my 5th bag (8#) and found it was about half uncarbonized wood and what appears to be a squirrel, or a rat.

I hear you - but that is insulation. A rat or squirrel wouldn't have even had bones, must less hair remaining thru a hot as HELL kiln!
    Like it matters?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've heard that asbestos insulation really helps keep your meat moist!!! Lol.  

In all seriousness I understand how rocks or pieces of the kiln get through inspection but a big pile of insulation(depending on age of building) that could be asbestos just blows my mind.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @tjv ... thanks for the detailed write-up ... very helpful. 

Well, except for the fact that now I've got to time my lump purchases to coincide with the winter months to maximize the carbon.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Langner91 said:

oh, it's probably just asbestos.
    Options
    @RRP I think you were on to something:  http://www.mcilvain.com/tru-dry-radio-frequency-dried-timbers/

note-I didn't see the asbestos reference before posting my last asbestos reference.   PS - looks like chrysotile

Options
    I don't like to spend a lot of money on something that I set on fire.  I have noticed negligible differences between WG, RO, and BGE Brand.  I have always been happy with Cowboy, its readily available, and on sale runs between 10-12.00 per 20b bag.  JMHO
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    maximus1 said:
    I don't like to spend a lot of money on something that I set on fire.  I have noticed negligible differences between WG, RO, and BGE Brand.  I have always been happy with Cowboy, its readily available, and on sale runs between 10-12.00 per 20b bag.  JMHO

LBGE/Maryland
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Don't understand how folks can say RO is a good buy, pound per buck wise. Home Depot sells the bigger bags, 15 pounds I think. They want $17 bucks...just payed $15 for a 40 pound bag of Ay Carbon...
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I don't really have an issue using Royal Oak or most other brands. I did at one point try to avoid Cowboy brand. My problem with Cowboy was long ago I had found a few pieces of what appeared to be plywood in the bag. As we all know plywood contains glue and glue is never good eats.

Regarding other brands that don't contain anything really bad other than a few rocks, I'm ok with them.

Now for what really bugs me, most lump regardless of brand has mostly small to fine pieces in the lower 1/3 of the bag.

I end up wasting a lot of charcoal because of this. 
    I'm sure a lot of this can be attributed too rough handling of the bags in transit to the store.
  • RRP
    Options
    GregW said:

I'm sure a lot of this can be attributed too rough handling of the bags in transit to the store.
    I fully agree, but there is a way around it! I admit I buy several bags at a time and I always try to buy it where I know the bags are still on the pallet they were shipped on. I look for the obvious signs of tears, damage and settling if the top of the bag area is empty etc. Then I pick up each bag and give it a shake and a squeeze. I only take the bags that make a clink sound and feels solid. Perfecting this method takes little time to learn so that it becomes SOP for you.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ron, thanks for the Menard's tip.  I picked up some RO today.  I haven't used it in awhile because it was "too smoky" for our tastes.  I switched to Fogo and have been very happy, other than having to break down the occasional tree trunk into usable size.  Oh, and the time it turned into some kind of firework spark shower, that was also less than ideal.   

So I'm giving the RO another try to see if I can tell a difference or if I was just imagining things last year!  5 bucks for an 8 lb bag seems like a reasonable way to sample it again.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ddub
    ddub Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't understand the RO bashing either. Readily available at reasonable price meets my criteria for coal.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Anything that other people use that I don't use is inferior. Everything that I use is superior. Of course.

I don't like some brands because other people I don't even know have told me something negative about those brands. Although I've never found a rock in a previously purchased bag of Royal Oak, other people have so I won't buy it anymore.

And once stlcharcoal said something I disagreed with, so I won't buy Rockwood either. So there.

Everyone should use what I use, because I've had my Egg for a year now and I know what's what.

Snarkety snark snark.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    My BGE dealer carries Humphrey's lump and that's all I've used so far to good effect. After going through this thread, I bought a bag of RO and I'll have to try it. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Years ago when I first started out only lump around here in northern NJ was Cowboy . Guess I don't have to say much more about that !! Now it is RO for every day cooks and Rockwood for the totally neutral cooks . Sometimes Frontier for the odd burger and dogs ,but it really comes down to RO or RW .
    RO's price is right with veterans discount at Home Depot .
  • AZHigh
    AZHigh Posts: 11
    Options
    I have used Big Green Egg lump and RO.  Green Egg is more consistent in terms of size of lump.  RO sometimes has pieces in it that are 10-12 inches long.  It burns great, no issues with garbage in it or rocks.  On BGE lump I did get one large concrete chunk of their kiln in one bag.  They were nice enough to send me another bag immediately.  RO is still my "go to" lump.  My Green Egg store is a long way away and well Walmarts are on every corner. 
  • AZHigh
    AZHigh Posts: 11
    Options
    RRP said:
    Langner91 said:

WOW Ron that is pretty nasty.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    People don't like it because it is widely available and you can pick it up at Wal Mart.  Unless you buy your charcoal by the pallet driving for two days in your truck you aren't one of the cool kids.
    You are exactly correct.  I don't normally play this game, but it gets old.  I hold my own for cooks here and I get tired of people equating the lump you use with the results you get. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Oops, done with RO et al.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    To be 100% truthful I've never even tried RO. Closest I've used was 3 bags of BGE lump (wasn't a fan).  And with RW & WGWW or WGJB readily available locally I don't foresee me swaying from what I know produces consistent results. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - the wings and steaks look to be very smokey. What lump did you use??

i kid I kid

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - the wings and steaks look to be very smokey. What lump did you use??

i kid I kid

Snort.  Walk me down, walk me down.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The only lump that makes the tink sound when you pour it in the egg is OO. RIP.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We live in a new development and I've just been collecting the ends off the decks that get scraped. No need to buy lump, this PT lumber is working fine. Yall are spending way too much. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    All those pix,Doc, & no Jameson's in the background?  You're slipping.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We live in a new development and I've just been collecting the ends off the decks that get scraped. No need to buy lump, this PT lumber is working fine. Yall are spending way too much. 
    You guys are spending too much. I bought a quarter cord of white oak last weekend for $50. Guessing about 150 splits so about 30 cents a piece. I can cook 20 racks of ribs with 3 splits. Just sayin.