Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket time

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
thoroughly cleaned out the egg, cracked platesetter, cracked firebox, cracked fire grate and looks like my base is developing a crack.  

fresh lump, oak and pecan chunks

let the fire settle in at 375ish dome and put the brisket on.  Prime brisket from Costco, started at 16.2 lbs, no idea how much I trimmed but it was a fair amount of the hard fat.  Lots of smoke.  Brisket is raised indirect.  Rubbed with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, onion.

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Looking good!  Just consider the cracks extra vents.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nice!  16.2 lbs is a healthy brisket!  Btw, S&P is all real bbq'rs use :giggle: 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a good looking brisket. Are you pumped about getting almost a whole new egg from your warranty? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looking forward to the brisky bending over the carving knife pic...Looks great and good luck.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Standing by ...

Thanks for adding the basic starting details.  Why the "mix" of oak and pecan?  Oak and brisket seem to be the standard couple.  What do you get with the addition of pecan?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Are you doing the whole cook at 375? Or counting on the cold brisket to help settle in at a lower temp?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Options
    Ok, typo above.  Put in at 275, not 375.  It was 250 this morning when I checked.  Probing 155-160 and tight now, just humming along, back to 275 with a little vent bump.

@Jeepster47 I have no idea other than pecan is similar but milder to me and I have more of it so I put plenty of chunks in to ensure I get enough smoke.  There have been some low and slows where I felt I didn't get enough smoke on the meat.  

I'm cooking a 17lber for a friends grad party tomorrow, so this is a bit of a dry run as well as some brisket for the family.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Time to wrap in butcher paper?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Options
    Yeah, no butcher paper.  I need to figure that out, I really don't want to buy 40 miles of it.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Good looking cook thus far.  That's a lot of brisket cooked this weekend for you.  Good on you!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Legume said:

@Jeepster47 I have no idea other than pecan is similar but milder to me and I have more of it so I put plenty of chunks in to ensure I get enough smoke.  There have been some low and slows where I felt I didn't get enough smoke on the meat. 
    Thanks for the input.  Getting the correct level of smoke for low-n-slows seems to require a delicate balance.  The missus likes her food lightly smoked.  Trying to cook for her taste, I've ended up with smoke wood only half consumed at the end of the cook.  Luckily I've only had one cook where I got that, "What the hell did you do" look from her ... it was a little too smoky even for me.

My son and I have been talking about the various smoke woods with an aim towards understanding what the family favors.  So far the nut trees seem to be winning out over the fruit trees ... both of us are ready to walk away from cherry.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Legume
    Options
    @Jeepster47wish I had the depth of experience with different woods, but I don't, so I mess around.  I avoid hickory and mesquite, I use fruitwood with fish, chicken and pork as a general rule.  I don't think I've ever used just cherry, but I like the color so often I'll toss a chunk in with something like peach or apple to get a little color.  I had a chunk spill in the bin I use to store it all and so now I have a mixed bag that I have no idea about.  I think I'll end up using that for pork butts or if my HOA or neighbors complain about smoke.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yeah, no butcher paper.  I need to figure that out, I really don't want to buy 40 miles of it.
    I have plenty to share. I bought 40 miles of it. Let me know and I'll meet you somewhere with a care package. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Options
    Ok, that's a deal.  Cooking another one tonight, so maybe catch you today?  Lakeway, right?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Looks great.. hmmmm brisket
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Ok, that's a deal.  Cooking another one tonight, so maybe catch you today?  Lakeway, right?
    Yep. I'm headed up north this afternoon so if you are up there we can meet there. I'll be in Taylor around 2:30 and restaurant depot after that. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I used a maple and oak medley  on my last brisket. It was delicious. I have tried combinations of woods, still learning from this forum, and my own experience. Great looking cook my friend!h
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yep. I'm headed up north this afternoon so if you are up there we can meet there. I'll be in Taylor around 2:30 and restaurant depot after that. 
    I'm in Oakhill.  How about I shoot out there before noon?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'lleet you at the galleria somewhere. I can be ready in 30. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Ok, anywhere there is fine for me, let's say (10:40).  Specs?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Excellent choice :) See you there. On sent with my cell
  • Legume
    Options
    Brisket #2 on the egg.  Heavier coating of rub thanks to @The Cen-Tex Smoker .

I wrapped #1 in butcher paper (thanks Cen-Tex) around 180, then pulled and let rest in a cooler for 5 hours.  Best brisket I've cooked, I think 275 worked out much better for me than 225 or 250.  The paper also helped.  Here's a few pics.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow wow wow!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Who the heck doesn't enjoy "brisket time"? Nice lookin stuff. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Thanks.  The flat is dry, more work to do, but it's definitely good and hopefully tonight's will be better.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks good from where I'm sitting. Nice job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic...Congrats. Great knife money shot..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Did you wrap it and pull it at 180?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks killer man!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....